wanting to lose weight

Hi I am new to eating raw and I decided to make this change because I really want to lose 20 pounds. I have been yo-yo dieting for years now and I really want make this change work. I also have an issue with willpower, thats why things are so hard for me to do. I am very self conscience of my self which causes some days to not eat at all and then over eat the next day which is not good. I want to finally lose weight healthy and I hope this is the way to go. I am only 19 years and i play water polo. I weigh about 165 and I hope to be in the 140s soon. Will this new change really help me make this happen? any advice or encouragement will be great!

Comments

• First off, I just want to let you know that you're beautiful and don't need to take in all the hype about being a perfect weight. Wanting to be healthier though, I can totally understand that.

Congrats on the decision to go raw vegan! It's definitely a lifestyle worth living. You'll get clearer skin, cleanse from the inside-out (literally), lose weight, and feel a lot more alive with way more energy than you probably have had before.

There are tons of approaches to raw veganism. A lot of people start with transition foods, so eating mostly raw with a few exceptions, like baked sweet potatoes or steamed veggies. I would definitely avoid grains and eating too much fat, because it's not very good for the digestive system. A good read (I've read numerous, but I find this is the best) for raw foodism is THe 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Doug Graham.

Good luck and let me know how things turn out! :]

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Congratulations...just to comment on the not eating/overeating cycle: if you're eating healthy whole plant foods, you really don't have anything to fear. Were you vegetarian or vegan before, or standard American diet (SAD)? My guess is you're not sure what to eat at this stage. Definitely browse the recipes and the many threads with sample daily menus. Many people post suggested menus on their blogs, too.

As a first step, try starting the day with a big green smoothie, every day. Getting in some fruits and greens will give you a lot of energy and nutrients, and make you feel like you've done something great for your body - and that will help your attitude all day!

You might want to keep a food journal at first so you know how your body does with various foods, and also to make sure you're getting enough food in a day.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

You must eat fruit. Carbs are what fuels the body, and when you are lacking in carbs, you binge. I've seen a lot of people blame themselves for not being disciplined enough, but in reality, they are not eating enough. Eating a lot is a gift, one of the greatest things about this diet. I manage to eat 3,000 calories of fruit a day, whole watermelons, 30 bananas, 20 dates, whatever I damn well please. Feeling good is the greatest thing about this diet.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi usagi, a common way to integrate yourself into the raw lifestyle would be to eat raw until dinner.

Have a green smoothie for breakfast, big salad for lunch, snack on fruit, then eat a healthy cooked vegan meal in the evening. This approach makes things much easier and will slow down any detox.

Good luck!