This is all I can find... what do you think....

Okay. So I recently moved to South Korea. The grocery stores here are NOT like the ones in the states. The variety is not so varied, but I'm trying. So let's say I'm mostly eating these items, am I getting enough vitamins and minerals? Is it okay that I'm not getting leafy greens? I occasionally find Spinach but often times it's super wilted, turning brown or full of holes....

Also, can you reccommend any good ideas for meals based on these fruits and veggies... I'm getting bored just eating them chopped up or steamed.

VEGGIES:

Carrots

Red, yellow and orange peppers

Zucchini

Variety of mushrooms (steamed)

cucumbers

celery

parsley

sesame leaves

bok choy

FRUIT:

apples

bananas

purple grapes

tangerines

pineapple

For a couple of weeks I was able to find cherries, strawberries, watermelon and mango, but not in the last few weeks.

Every now and then I'll find something amazing like avocados, fresh figs, peaches, plums or kiwis. I definitely buy them when I find them.

I can also find Olive Oil and Lemon Juice so that is what I've been using as dressings.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Ciao,

Love Sheila

Comments

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

It looks like you are getting a good amount of vitmans and minerals. Don't worry about the greens. It's best to eat fruits and vegetables that are fresh and full of nutrients, then brown wilted greens that has probably lost a lot of it's nutrients.

I think you will be okay. Whatever is native and fresh is the best.

I've never been to korea but I do want to go to japan. I've been learning and practice japanese from books in the library. Someday I hope to go there.

• Hi, I've been living in Incheon for well over a year now...whereabouts are you in SK? Have you tried an smart or a ho

eus? They've usually got a better, fresher selection than lotte... Also, if

you're anywhere locAted anywhere near Shinsegae departmentstore near the arts centre just before you get to Bupyeong station, there's a lovely and HUGE farmers market...

• Sorry, that was "homeplus" not "ho eus" Ha!!

• I would recommend checking out the recipe section and doing a search there...

• Koolieaided - I'm dying to to Japan! I've never been. South Korea is amazing!!

Hi Tabbycats! I'm living in Suwon. I went to Incheon a few weeks ago to the Womens Art Biennale. I walked around Chinatown too.

Shinsegae departmentstore - I've been told I can get basil in this place too. I'll have to check it out one Saturday.

What are you doing in South Korea? I'm teaching English.

• Sheila -I'm an English teacher like you...and yes, the Shinsegae near us has basil on occasion:) it's a good place for specialty items...well, what's considered specialty here at least .

I found mint and basil and marjoram and oregano plants all at farmers markets or at Lotte throughoutthe year...I never realized how much I love fresh parsley until I got here and didn't see it at the store every day:(

• Hi all,

I'm moving to Gangneung in the Gangwon district in a week to teach English. I was wondering about the produce available over in Korea so it's great to hear talk of Farmers Markets!!

I have heard thoughtthat fresh fruit and vegetables are horribly expensive in Korea, is that true??