Food Combining

I am reading Eating for Beauty by David Wolfe and just read about food combining. It seems like a lot of the smoothie recipes combine fruits and greens and nuts etc. I need some simple and easy feedback re. food combining for a newbie.

BTW, I am about 3 weeks in (eating about 80% raw) and now that I have my Vitamix (love it!) I am having lots of smoothies & veggie juices--my body is starting to crave the veggie juices, I am doing better with balancing my system with some protein (nuts, seeds, eggs) and my emotions have stabilized. I am so excited!!!

Comments

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

First, congratulations!! Thats amazing!!

Second, I'm sorry, I don't know if I quite understanding what you're looking for as far as an answer goes. But as a "newbie raw foodie", I had the guru of all raw guru's tell me to just keep it as simple as possible when I first started out. Could have been cus I was looing at her with glazed over eyes, drool coming out of the corner of my mouth, and a blank look on my face cus I was so overwhelmed and lost when I first went raw. As far as food combining, as far as what I follow, I eat melons alone or leave them alone, I don't combine any fruit juices with any veggie juices except carrots in my fruit or apple in the veggie (once in awhile I'll juice celery with my fruit cus it helps slow down sugar absorption, but not a big fan of the taste!), keep acidic fruits with acidic fruits and I don't mix starches and proteins usually. Those are just a couple basic guidelines I try to stay with-in cus I've noticed much improved digestion when I started paying attention to things like this. I don't know if this helps at all, or if I even got close to what you were looking for, but I tried :D

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

YOu can mix leafy greens with fruits... OR starchy vegetables. But you shouldn't mix starchy vegetables with fruits... that would be poor food combining.

Yup, I know what you mean about the nuts... I am wondering if nut milk food combines with fruits better... but I haven't checked into it.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

juicefastfan: Don't mix starches and proteins? Really? I'm not so sure about that... that's the first I heard about it. I should check the food combining chart.

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

Well, maybe they are talking about the classic combo of meat and potatoes. a really no-no (on many levels). so maybe it's the same with nuts and starcy items.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

Fruit + Fat = no no.

• Yes protiens and starches is bad food combining

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

No, I just meant for me specifically. I didn't mean anybody else had to follow those. I have found that it's easier on my system. She hadn't gotten any replies yet and I wasn't exactly sure what she was asking, so I was giving her examples of my own routine. I don't eat any animal product or by-product, the protein I mean (for example): bean products, lentils, nuts, seeeds, sprouted legumes etc....; and the starches (for example): grains, brown & wild rice, anything coconut, corn, pumpkin, winter squash, yams.....

Again, just something that I've tweaked out over the last 5 years and based loosely on a program I really like...for me =)

• I've been making my green smoothies with coconut water, frozen banana & greens (spinach or kale)--it sounds like that is breaking all kind of food combining rules. I haven't had any problem digesting it (except for the very first one). I'll have to experiment.

Thanks for all the feedback. I searched this site and found the food combining chart and printed it out. So much to learn! This is such a great site!

• Actually your green smoothie is combined green leafy veg. are completely good to combine with fruit and some good fat from the coconut.

I had read that in the book green for life by Victoria Boutenko.

• Oh good! I am just reading her book 12 Steps to Going Raw right now. I'm combining/eating intuitively and I really like listening to my body. I'm sure as I progress, my body will be drawn to healthier and healthier combinations.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

As long as you don't get a bloated tummy you should be ok just listening to your body. Some people have sensitive stomachs (like myself) and need to follow the rules or else they get uncomfortable. For me, meals should follow the following rules.

1. don't eat fruit and fat together unless the fruit is acidic

2. don't mix different kinds of fats (nuts, seeds, avocado)

3. eat melons alone (they digest within 15-20 min, so its ok to eat something else after that time)

4. don't eat acidic fruit with sweet (mangoes are an exception)

5. don't mix starchy veggies with fruit

leafy greens and fruit do mix well. make sure fruit is ripe. wait at least an hour after a meal to eat something that wouldn't combine well. this becomes really simple over time.