beet root!

delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

How do you eat it? juice? sliced in salads? any good recipes? :)

Comments

• Hi! I can't wait to hear what others suggest since I'm always trying to find ways to incorporate more raw beet into my life.

One quick tip, especially if you don't like the taste or feel of raw beets:

peel and chop a bunch of beets and throw the chunks into glass jars or plastic bags and freeze them.

Then whenever you want, throw in a chunk or two (or more) into the blender for smoothies, especially "green" smoothies, and it gives that famous gorgeous fuschia color and the beet taste won't be noticed. You can also do that for raw ice creams, sauces, salad dressings, anything where you want to give it some color and get some wonderful beet nutrition without committing to a full-on beet taste experience.

I'd also try to get the smallest freshest beets you can, to avoid bitter tasting ones.

Hope that helps!

Can't wait to hear more beet tips!

Angelique

• I keep mine soaking in water in the refridge to help make the easy to slice!! HTH Jodi

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

Beets are great juiced - they are very healthy for the kidneys and urinary tract, and they help with detoxification. In fact, I am drinking juice with beets and beet greens in it right now! I have also added slices of beet to smoothies before and it was almost undetectable.

Beets can also be sliced, grated, or spiralized and added to dishes or eaten alone.

I don't LOVE beets, but they have grown on me over time. I prefer them juiced with lots of other flavours, and then diluted with water. And if the juice is particularly beet-y, I sometimes add a little stevia to off-set the earthy flavour.

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Beet salad, my kids love this one:

equal parts of schredded carrots and beets

a bunch (literally) of spring onions

half a bunch of chopped cilantro

olive oil to taste

lemon juice to taste

salt to taste

Mix all ingredients and sit for 10 to 15 min (or more). It's important that you add plenty of cilantro and not so much lemon juice, so it does not overtake the flavors. Personaly I eat most of my salads with lemon juice, and ifnding the balance between the amount of salad and the amount of lemon needed can be challenging. Start pouring and trying, a bit at a time, if your socks and prostetics start to fall, it means that your salad is too acidic...

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Do you have a spiralizer? I posted a beet pasta recipe that's really good. I love using beets for pasta.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

Lol, I hate beets! I think they taste like dirt, but they are SO unbelievably good for you so I am queen at hiding them in just about anything. Juices, raw pizza, dehydrated crackers, salads, and more often than not, I juice them with apples and use the juice for my green smoothies (instead of water, just enough to get the blender movin'). .

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

I think they taste like dirt too!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

MMM I had beets the other day for the first time in a long while and I enjoyed them so much. I cant wait to hear about all the yummy recipes you guys make!

• I make a salad similar to rawlizard's (and here I was thinking I was a genius.)

Equal parts grated beetroot and carrot

A sprinkling of sultanas and/or walnuts, chopped

Balsamic Vinegar/Apple Cider Vinegar (not always raw, but if you use it, do, subst. Lemon juice otherwise)

A dollop of 'Sour Cream'

(made either by juicing coconut meat or pureeing almonds/cashews and blending with lemon juice, fresh chili and white pepper)

The vinegar and the cream make an amazingly sweet and tangy dressing that goes so well with the beets.