Weight loss?

How much weight did you lose on a raw diet? My main goal for going raw is to drop about 30 pounds. I want the rest of the benefits I hear about too! But the weight loss is a major one for me. I've read about people losing incredible amounts of weight - 10 pounds in a week, 30 pounds in a month, etc. Is it all hype? Is it water weight, or muscle loss? Or is it what I'm hoping for, which is fat loss?

Also, if you did experience weight loss, what were you eating? Like, just a general idea. Did you eat mostly veggies, or mostly fruit, or a balance between the two? Did you add in fat? Again, in my reading on various websites, I came across one person saying that not eating nuts or high-fat fruits is the best way to lose weight on a raw diet. Is that true?

I don't have anyone in "real life" to talk to about going raw, so I'm depending on you all for my answers, as I can't seem to find any website that gives the particulars and a solid story on weight loss and a diet plan. Most sites praise a raw diet, they just don't go into detail.

Thanks in advance!

- Becca

Comments

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Hello and welcome! I would say that when you first start out, most eveyone looses weight, no matter what particular brand of the raw food diet they perscribe too. David Wolf reccomends fruits and greens and no fats for loosing weight. I personally think that you should feed your body a good mix of greens, fruits and fats. You will loose weight in a more steady and healthy way if you don't shock your body by taking out a whole food group. Make sure you are getting protine (sprouted beans, greens, peas. ect) as well as carbs and a reasonable amount of fat. Don't go crazy on the fat and ballance your greens and fruits, and you should be on your way! Don't expect to loose thirty pounds in a month, if you want to maintain weight loss for your whole life, make a life style that supports that, and let your body cleans at its own pace. And drink your water! Working out is also very benificial. Hope that helps some. Coolywash.blogspot.com

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

I lost most of my weight on a gourmet raw diet, got pretty 'skinny'. I then switched to 80/10/10, lost twenty more pounds, and put on a good 5 lbs of muscle. So obviously, like what the user above me said, any type of raw, you will lose weight. I didn't even exercise either, i was very sedentary the first 20 pounds.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i think when you have weight to lose, your body will drop it on a raw diet. if your body is comfortable where it's at, then you might not lose weight. i gained about 20 pounds in the past 2 years, but i was too skinny before.

• Thanks for all the responses! Very helpful. :D

Edit: One more question: Do you remember roughly how long it took you to lose the weighjt that you lost? Was it steady, a pound or two a week? More than that, or less?

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

joannabanana - you gained weight (20lbs) on raw???

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I had an eating disorder before I started with raw so I was underweight. It got me back to what my natural weight should be. I've also gone through puberty in the past year and have grown huge boobs that add some poundage as well haha tmi

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

lol ok :) I've also had an eating disorder, a major one! it took me years to make the transition in my mind that my weight doesn't control me. (and also, to love myself at any weight.)

i really love eating food (any types) without having a fear of what this food will do to my weight. it's really liberating. at the same time, i also prefer to eat healthy, that's why i'm raw. my body just craves for fresh, healthy food.

but to be really honest, i'd love to lose weight. to be thin... (im not thin but not fat either.) from your post, i think raw food does normalize our weight, the nature-intended weight. that's why im not pressuring myself to lose, and focusing more on how i feel each day and accepting myself as i am.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

My ex-boyfriend and i (were good friends now no worries) have both lost a lot of weight. It took about 3 years, but he is 6'0" and went from 250 lbs to 135 at his lowest, and has stabilized at around 155 lbs. Im 5'8" and went from 180 lbs to 120 at my lowest and have stabilized at 135. We were doing a juice feast so thats how we got so low.

I think the importance of exercise cannot be stressed enough. get your body moving regularly. secondly, drink lots of water. Green smoothies are the best fyi- they really kill those bad cravings. Healthy weight loss is slow b/c its not a diet its changing yourself, if you crash off it will come back. But if you want to get a jump start, why not try a week long juice fast?