Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Severe bread and anything cooked and starchy cravings... Tips, anyone ? Dehydrator needed ?

Hi everyone !

I've been raw for a few months, transitioning from a vegan diet so I quickly and easily moved to approx. 80% raw and I'm loving it.

I'm doing the green smoothies, which I find magical, try to have everything in moderation (I'm not trying to lose weight, though), and I find that I'm naturally more on the greens and avocado side than on the nuts and seeds side.

HOWEVER - be it emotionnal detox or whatever - I find myself craving more and more for bready starchy things, even cakes that I didn't eat while I was vegan b/c they're full of crap, of course... and falling off the wagon.

I tend to try to avoid severe frustration even thouhg I know it's caused by stress. So I go and have my thing - although the consequences are unpleasant.

I want to buy a dehydrator but I'm hesitating b/c it's quite pricey, but if it can help diversify the textures and satisfy the cravings I'll definitely get one.

Soooo my question is:

Do you find that dehydrated foods - I'm talking crackers, cookies, burgers, muffins etc - have helped you with any 'bad' cravings that you might have had ?

What are your favorite recipes for bread not based on sprouted grains ?

Also want to thank all you people so great at making this forum alive and busy, reading you guys has really helped and inspired me - I'm the only raw, let alone vegan in my environment, and it's though :)

Best

XXXX

Juliette

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I think that dehydrated things can help, yes. Even just feeling proud about being able to make really cool raw stuff can help one through.

In terms of the cooked starches, I know how you feel. I developed bread cravings as well, as well as other cravings for junky baked goods. For me, something that definitely helped was avoiding guilt at all costs. You might still feel like eating some cooked things, and if you "indulge" don't get too tripped up - as long as your total progress is improving, feel good about that.

In the meantime, I'd say if you get cravings for such food, try to go as whole as possible. For example, brown rice or cooked beans. Even some cooked whole foods can be better for you than some crazy raw concoctions.

One of my favorite bread recipes is the onion bread on the main page (here: http://goneraw.com/recipe/onion-bread)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i made bread and crackers with the dehydrator and that did help my transition a lot. my main craving was for potatoes though. i think it's really difficult to just stop eating something you love so i would give into my cravings instead of binging on them all the time. now, i don't really have any cravings. you will get past them though. once you eat raw for long enough, your body just won't respond the same to your old favorite foods.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

Dehydrating things could be a way. But you have to get into the mindset. Cooked food is not good for you, and a lot of people on here would disagree with me, but if it looks like bread - tastes like bread, etc...It probably digests like bread. You may love bread, but it does not love you the same. You need to let go and realize that these foods just harm you. You are not depriving yourself, you are saving yourself.

• thanx !

eecho: it's just as you say - I keep to whole grains (just like I used to do before), and I try not to make too big a deal of it, but it still feels like a step back - I feel the consequences on my body and they are not good (especially after experiencing just how good I could feel on raw). oh well

joannabanana: I think I'll get that dehydrator today - tired of salivating to recipes I can't make ! can't wait !

the 59sound: I know what you mean - I'm looking for some help transitionning, but some of the recipes of dehydrated stuff amaze me. so dense and rich and thick... I'll stay away from these for sure ! But I need the texture :)

Time to get crazy in the kitchen !

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I was so excited when I got my dehydrator and it was great to be able to make all kinds of breads, crackers, chips, etc. I don't use it as much now, but still very glad I've got it as will spend an occasional weekend making up a few batches of my favorites. I tend to freeze some stuff too so I always have something on hand if I need it. (I know some people are against freezing but hey ho - I'm not a 100%er)

One of the best things I've ever made is the carrot crackers on this site (http://goneraw.com/node/6388) and the carrot & onion bread is also great (http://goneraw.com/recipe/carrot-onion-bread).

I'm making the carrot crackers this weekend actually, along with falafels.

Cheesy kale chips are another great dehydrator recipe which help me with crisp (chip) cravings.

Have fun!

• I understand !!!! AI went through a really bad spell of potatoes! I just tried to keep it as raw as possible in that I used olive oil instead of butter and sea salt and pepper. It only lasted about 2 weeks and I felt so bad that I stopped. Your body will revolt at some point. I for one find that if I can get my mind around the fact it is poison for my body I don't lose control as much. Yes making dehydrated breads and crackers really did help me. My favorite is RAW POPCORN!!! Great fresh or dehydrated google it on youtube and the video will show you how to do it.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I think when transitioning it's good to make a list. First off, list good foods- that would be raw foods. Next, list not ideal foods, like steamed veggies, potatoes, next off, even less ideal foods, rice, spices, beans, then make a list of foods that are only for very rare occasions, chips, pasta, etc. Then when you need to go off of raw, choose either steamed from the steamed veggies or from the rice group. This will help your transition to be less painful and healthier too!

• just got my dehydrator !

so many recipes to try... I couldn't decide so I made 3 different things at once :) Feels like Christmas !

thanks for posting, have a great weekend !

• This is such a great question. I've only been raw for a few months, and I am finding that some of my starch and "comfort food" cravings are formitable. I found that there is a definite correlation to stress. I always keep certain "staples" in the house, and I've found it helps: cheesy kale chips, fruit leathers, flax crackers, almond butter, tahini, bananas, honey, raw chocolate, buckwheat granola or raw muesli, raw oatmeal, almond milk. In stressful periods, I'll always have a cup of oat groats soaking so that I can make oatmeal on the fly. Also, when I get 2:00 am cravings (and I do!) the only thing that seems to satisfy is flax crackers with almond butter or tahini drizzled with honey (sliced bananas optional). I also have a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker, and always keep the bowl ready in the freezer. It only take a few minutes to make Brazil Nut Ice Cream (since Brazil Nuts don't have to be soaked). Thank God for raw vegan ice cream!