Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Greens alternatives to kale for dehydrated chips ?

I just got my brand new dehydrator and it's already working round the clock - so much to experiment !

One question, though: I live in Paris and I can't find kale here.

Does anyone know what else I could use to do green vegetable chips ? Chard ? Green curly cabbage ? Has anyone tried any alternative ?

Thanx !

Comments

• The Food Underfoot people use the wild edibles Garlic Mustard and wide-leaf Plantain. I don't know what wild edibles you may have available, but I think just about anything would work. Maybe beet greens even?

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

try spinach~

• If anybody tries or has tried spinach, please post results. I hate the kale chips. They were a huge disappointment to me.

• I tried using spinach instead of kale. The "chips" are super thin and are really crumbly if over-dehydrated and gross and soggy (especially if you are coating or marinating the spinach beforehand with any oil) if under-dehydrated. Eventually I found a balance (8 or so hours at 105 degrees but it could have been shorter for me since I live in a tropical climate at high altitude). I ate a few and then spent the rest of the day hurling into the toilet so I do NOT recommend them!

Now I'm unable to eat spinach AT ALL as after that incident even thinking about eating it makes me queasy... This, of course, is not to say that you'll have the same experience! Just a warning :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I would say green curly cabbage might be a good substitute for kale. (I haven't tried it myself though so would be interested to know how it comes out)

• thanx for sharing !

terilyn - I thought of spinach too but had a weird feeling about it... I'm sorry you had such a bad experience ! I definitely won't be trying these

sv3 - this was my first intuition, not as great as kale as far as the nutrition goes I'm afraid, but better than nothing !

I'll post when I have results

• ive used spinach and bok choy, and they turned out fabulous!! all i did was sprinkle a bit of salt - no oil (reduces fat and spinach and bok choy are very tender greens) mmmmmmm now im craving them!! but ya, try it out with anything and just experiment! its fun :)

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Try using jicama. You could use a mandolin to get even slices and then marinating them in whatever you would like. I like to make my own version of 'goddess' dressing and put them over top. I will be experimenting more with chips soon as well. I normally use good ol' Kale. For a more authentic chip though certainly try the jicama. mmm.

I have never tried making a vegetable medley chip. I should get on that today!

Cheers!

• I seem to recall someone writing somewhere that they use thinly sliced sweet potato, but don't take my word for it...

• Raw sweet potato chips are quite addicting for me. I slice them thinly with a mandolin, coat with a little olive oil, cayenne and maybe a little sea salt (you could use any spices you like, or none at all) - then dehydrate till crispy. I also do this with zucchini. As for greens, collards and swiss chard work as replacements for kale, and really any green that is similar in texture.

• crystalk --- did you use baby spinach or mature leaves? Although not green, I am looking forward to trying jicama and sweet potato chips.

• oh sorry! i should have been more specific! yes i used baby spinach as well as young (baby) bok choy :) hehe

mmmmmmmm jicama would be awesome, must try that :)