First day on juice fast and starving !!!!!

rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Is this normal??

I did a one-day juice fast yesterday to give it a try, and I was sooo hungry, my stomack rumbled and rumbled...At night I woke up a couple of times just from the hunger. I was thinking about doing a three-day fast, but I'm not sure I can take three days of what it feels like starvation. Do any of you have experience this? does the hunger ever goes away?

It seems that I need some encouragment...

Thank you so much!!!!

Comments

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

Everyone has different reactions to fasts. I can tell you that it is normal to feel hunger. Usually the hunger goes away by the third day. If you are feeling extremely hungry maybe you are not drinking enough juice. I think you should up your intake and or switch to smoothies if you cant take doing just juice. Also, The first day is always the hardest. Good luck!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Good for you for trying a juice fast! I really envy your willpower. I would really like to do one but I'm too scared of being hungry and week. I'm a runner, so I don't think that I can do a juice fast and run 13km 4 times a week and skip rope 1h20min 3 times a week. If any runners/athletes have done this, please let me know how, and what kind/how much juice you drank.

• Just as with any new task the more you do it the better you get at it. In a week, try doing it again. After a few tries it should get easier as your body adjusts to this change. I try to fast once a week for 24 - 36 hours and it is no longer difficult at all anymore. A lot of it is just mind over matter. Don't give up good habits just because they are difficult!!

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

AVL - I would not advice a juice fast while working out heavily. The main purpose of a juice fast is to gently cleanse the body so that it can re-build itself. Since exercise is stressful and is in itself a breaking down of the body (so the muscles can be rebuilt) , fasting while exercising is counterproductive. Also, exercise requires calories, usually in the form of glucose, which may not be sufficiently supplied while fasting and will impair performance. .

Perhaps if you are considering a fast, it could coincide with a week of more gentle exercise such as walking or yoga. Giving your body a break once in a while is not a bad idea.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Thanks Fortune! I'm kind of an obsessive person when it comes to exercise (it's part of an eating disorder that I'm trying to deal with). I would love to be able to take a break from exercise and try a juice fast. I just need to learn how to relax when not exercsing and not obsess over not burning calories. I'm sure that it would actually really help me to take some time off and give my body a break. I just need to keep reminding myself that the body does need time off to relax and repair itself. When I feel mentally ready, I will try a juice fast :)

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

AVL, interestinlgy enough I had lots of energy, even though I was feeling starved to death. Ironic isn't it?

rawfreak4fr, what kind of juices do you have during your fast? after my first attempt I was thinking about doing a fast once a week as well. I think it is more realistic too, given my hectic schedule and the fact that I am not interested in loosing any weight. Do you follow a specific juice program for the day you are fasting? I would love to hear about that.

Ddgiacomo, thank you for your support. In all honesty I think that I am not there yet, I don't think I can endure a three-day fast at the moment, although I will keep having it as a goal. I have taken the raw journey very slow, and it has worked very well for me.

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

• I actually either do a dry fast or a water fast. I find that the dry fast is easier since drinking water makes me hungrier. No program, but I got the idea from Paul Bragg (The Miracle of Fasting). I don't do juices (don't have a juicer yet) and besides I'm not big on throwing away stuff I have paid good money for--my thriftiness (cheapness??) just won't allow me to.

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

AVL - sounds like a good plan. You will know when you are ready to tackle certain issues, and it's important to respect yourself and your body. Maybe meditation would help you to relax? There are many guided meditation cd's that are very helpful.