Does Anyone Know How To Preserve Food Longer

I'm looking for a way to keep my veggies fresh longer. Has anyone tried those containers or bags that are supposed to keep food longer in the fridge? Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

Vacuum sealing can help with this, but then you are exposing your food to plastic for a long period of time.

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

I LOVE the green bags. You can get them at Kohls in their "As seen on tv" section. They come with all 3 sizes I believe so you don't have to decide.

I also love the fridgesmart line from tupperware. They are easier to use than the green bags, and I think keep produce longer, and easier to clean. I have to hang the green bags on hangers with clips in the laundry room, kind of a pain. But like them for long items, like romaine lettuce, beets with the greens still attached.

hope that helps,

e

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

At least a few of us vacuum seal in glass canning jars, which eliminates the plastic issue. There have been a number of threads on this subject in the last year or so. Here's the link to an Advanced Search for forums containing the phrase "vacuum seal".

http://www.goneraw.com/search/node/vacuum "seal" type:forum "vacuum seal"

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

Oh wow I didn't even know that was possible, thanks for the link!

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I found the green bags at Kroger. I'm sure I'll have the chance try different things until I find the one that works best for me. Thanks again you guys are great!

• Yeah, the green bags work better on some things than others... they are great for keeping bananas from ripening too fast on the counter, ... really good for that! But for collards in the fridge, a bit disappointing... they turn yellow in a couple of days anyway.

• I am JUST getting into the raw world - going to a class tonight to get more information and reading forums like these to get as much knowledge before starting it all. I am looking for a change in my life and this looks like the best place to start to simplify my body.

I am fairly new to selling Tupperware and as missemy stated the Fridgesmart containers do a good job at keeping things fresh. For an example.... broccoli - 28 days before it goes all bendy, lettuce 2 weeks before it's all soupy. I am telling you, Fridgesmarts are the way to go, easy to clean and can be reused for YEARS. I was actually pretty excited when I thought about using them or including them in my new life choice! I have found the bags to get a little gross after a while - might just be something I am doing, who knows! If you want to look into the Fridgesmarts or anything let me know of go to my.tupperware.com/sarahstosick and look at the refridgerator "stuff"area or just ask!. . . GREAT THINGS....GREAT THINGS!!!!