Easy spinach recipes....?

I need to eat more greens. When I lived in the states I ate spinach every day and felt amazing! I recently found a bunch of spinach in South Korea and would love some recipe ideas. I don't have a juicer so I can't make green juice (but a juicer will be my next purchase for sure).

I have a blender and a dehydrator. I can't find fancy ingredients like nutritional yeast and cashews. I did find cashews a few weeks ago and bought 2 cups for $16. The last of them are soaking right now to make some lemon cookies. I should of bought more cashews since it was the first time I found them in 5 months.

I do love spinach/mango smoothies and when I find great mangoes that's the first thing I make with them.

So I'm looking for simple, delicious spinach recipes, that aren't salads. The spinach here tastes different than it does in the states and I'm still getting used to the new flavor.

Thanks!

Comments

• ohhhh Sheila, do I EVER feel your need for new spinach recipes...

I'm sorry that I can't give you any recipes, other than just blending spinach into whatever smoothie I'm making, but I hear you about the struggle...Korea is interesting, isn't it? I mean, interesting in what is and what isn't available...Have you seen the Chuseok gift boxes? HA! I really laugh hard over the Spam gift sets...oh, and the GIGANTIC whiskey box sets, those are frightening really.

I have to say though, spinach blended into a smoothie really makes me feel like a raw HERO for getting so many good things into such a small container...the flavor (for me, anyways) disappears once mixed in with strawberries and bananas...I find if you blend up an avocado with spinach, it makes a guacamole base go a lot farther. Does that help?:)

Our company is transferring my fiancee and I to Anyang, have you been there, or heard anything about the food available there? I expect it's roughly the same as Incheon...Incheon though does have FISH like you wouldn't believe...and so this odd fishy scent is everywhere

• By the way, this may be very far from where you're living now, but I've had great luck with finding nuts/dried fruit at Dongdaemun market. Just at the front entrance there're always these ancient ajuma's sitting with their baskets of dried stuff....those dried persimmons especially (which are generally delicious:))

• Oh my goodness! The Chuseok Gift Boxes are incredibly bizarre, BUT I have to wonder if those apples are better than the non-boxed apples! They certainly look delicious.

I just found frozen strawberries and blueberries so I bought as many packages as I could fit into my freezer. It was the first time I saw those and I've noticed once items like that are gone, they are gone forever. So tomorrow I'll definitely try a banana, strawberry, spinach smoothie. That actually sounds really good.

I went to Shinsagae Department Store on Saturday and found BASIL!!!! I was sooooo happy! I bought 8 containers and tonight I'm going to make pesto. I also saw these beautiful purple fruits that I had never seen before, I tried asking what they were but all I could get was 'special fruit from Jeju Island'. So I bought one, they were $15 each. When I got home, I googled 'special fruit from Jeju Island' and found out that it was a dragonfruit. It was sooooooo delicious.

Oh! I also found flax seeds and flax seed oil from that grocery store. I wished I would have found coconut oil!

The more I look for certain items, the easier it is to find them.

I'm going to Dondaemun on Thursday night. I'm on vacation this week, so my friends and I are going to check it out and then we're going to the fish market at 3am for the auction and I'm going to try live octopus. I am mostly raw and most days I'm 100% raw, but occasionally I find myself eating Korean food. I do know the Korean food I order is gluten free, dairy free and soy free, and always pepper free (black and chili). I guess I might have to bring my backpack and buy nuts. Do you know if the nuts are raw? I sometimes see nuts in the grocery store but the package says they are roasted, so I never buy them. Only once did I find a lady set up, selling a million different kinds of dried foods. I tried the nuts and they didn't seem roasted and they weren't salted, so I bought them.

I have not been to Anyang, but I've heard of it! When are you moving there?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi Shelia,

How about this recipe: http://goneraw.com/recipe/dairy-free-creamed-spinach-dip

I tried it but didn't get the measurements quite right so it wasn't as good as I think it could have been. It was still nice though so would recommend giving it a go.

If you do an advanced search on this site, I'm sure you'll find loads of other spinach based dishes.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

spinach + himalayan sea salt and a drop of raw red wine vingar

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Honestly, I would eat the spinach plain or add a little lemon or lime juice.

Or do a green smoothie.

Adding all of this fat and processed oils to the spinach negates (IMO) the health effect you would have had from eating it in the first place!

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

1 pound spinach : 4 ripe heirloom tomatos. no dressing. MMMMMMMMMMMM.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

mmmm, sounds good, 59.

• Hey Sheila, I'm SO happy for you and your GREAT shopping success! YAY! as for the nuts, I've bought some almonds that were raw, but usually I find that they've been roasted (it must've been just a one-off at Lotte where they were accidentally the unroasted kind). I know the grocery store you're talking about, at least, one similar to it, and they've the GREATEST treats sometimes! By treat, I mean "surprise! it's RAW!" sort of stuff:)

The live octopus is SO Korean, hey? a friend of mine has tried it, and she thought it was interesting; her words of advice were only, "chew quickly and purposefully." There you have it:) I'm not brave enough for that I guess...but you MUST if you're in Korea, right?:)

haha, those "special fruit from jeju" made me laugh! I do think I'd have bought one too, if I'd seen it...the boxed apples are a bit better, sometimes the ones in the bin can be a bit mealy...the best apple though are from those random fruit vendors at the side of the road - the best fruit in general I find - and if you go frequently, they may give a "service."

We're moving at the end of October...and now we've only to get rid of the junk that's pilling up in our loft! ACK!

I love Chuseok holidays...hope yours is good!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Soups! Try cucumber/spinach for a creamy juicy soup.

Since you have a dehydrator, try doing the kale chip recipe with spinach.