Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

popcorn kernals

are they raw?

Comments

• I am not sure but even if they are raw how would you eat them without heating?

• I have to say…my one non-raw exception is pop corn. I pop it in grapeseed oil.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Yeah, homemade popcorn is one of my “treats” as well :-) I pop mine in coconut oil and it comes out soooo tasty.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

guilty…. on occassion ;)

• oh yeah…with some flax oil and brewers yeast! Yummy!

I wonder if you could sprout them…

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I am pretty sure popcorn kernels are unsproutable. Purple Corn Kernels do sprout though but they are so bitter tasting by themeselves – they would make such untastey popcorn.

I do have popcorn too. I use coconut oil to pop and spray with olive oil and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and very salty too. Yum!

• The reason I ask is because I’m considering taking popcorn kernels and making my own corn meal for use in my recipes, which is why I was hoping it was raw.

• CTcyclist,

You could probably take raw corn and dehydrate the kernals, then grind them to make your own raw corn meal. =)

• well, that’s a lot of work, I was just hoping to skip one step and get them in kernel form already

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

the purple corn kernels are raw and already hard and grindable and make a good meal but they are bitter tasting so not sure if you would want to use those. They aren’t as hard as popcorn kernels but pretty close.

Have you tried sprouting the popcorn kernels?

Here is a thing on corn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

It looks like corn meal comes from a different variety of corn than popcorn does. I am pretty sure popcorn kernels are grown from a different corn variety than those that make corn meal. I think you might have to dry them ae lapetitemort said.

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

the Eden organic popcorn kernels are raw. i asked customer service.