Clarify RAWists!

Hi all

So Ive been on-off RAW for a few weeks now. Just started a new job and am moving house and its been impossible to keep to my 100% goal. Since slacking off a little I have been reading about how sometimes its better to have a slow transition. The internet is awash with different recommendations for transitioning, some say go 100% immediately, some say do 50% and work up. Right now Im at Raw breakfast, lunch and snacks, then eating a light cooked vegan meal for dinner. Ive been vegan for years BTW. Can anyone shed light on this. I cant seem to find any definitive guide to going 100% raw. Ive got lots of recipe books but none on the process. Thanks folks! ;p

Comments

• Hi Queera, I am of the opinion that whatever works for you is fine. In an ideal world we’d all be 100% raw all the time, but there are people who stay 80% for a long time. Just do what you can and you will be fine. Also for me when I am exhausted and worn out a simple solution is to make a lovely green smoothie or even green juice which I happen to find very filling. I even make green smoothies for msyelf in hotel rooms, I take my immersion blender which is all I’ve got at the moment, go to the closest grocery store buy fruit and veggies and blend away with pure water…so a stop gap measure for me to be able to stay raw is to make green smoothie, best of luck Dea xoxo :)

• Thanks deasmiles

Its all about getting used to it I guess. Ireland is a pretty dismal place to even be vegan in (most restaurants dont cater) and a recent trip to the US taught me that its ok to ask for special dietary requirements over there! Here if I said I was vegan in a restaurant or cafe they would not know what I was talking about let alone if I said I was raw!

But stop gap measures like green smoothie is a good call.

Thanks again!

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Hi :) I think it’s hard for most people to go 100% mostly because of detox issues.

It worked much better for me to completely eliminate all cooked food for just one to two days a week, initially. My ultimate goal in the long run was to eat 100% Raw most of the time, with an occasional cooked meal. To do that, I had to have days that were solid Raw. I noticed that it was during the 100% Raw days that I felt the best and I soon became addicted to that high energy, waking up without headaches, feeling so great that I couldn’t stop smiling. Over time, quickly at that, I became close to 100% Raw.

Not everyone is the same, so that’s why it’s important to find what works for you. The reason this plan worked better for me, as opposed to gradually adding Raw food into each day’s diet, was that I was finding it hard to give up the addictive cooked food. I found that, if I had even just a little bit of cooked food in the course of a day, it was a slippery slope

• Hey Queera,

I didn’t realize you were in Ireland…listen…I am in southern Italy in a small town population 70,000 there is no exotic fruit here, finding an avocado or mango is like christmas for me and I can’t even get Kale…I was back home in the states in May and June this past year end of may and beginning of June…well it was like heaven, mango (different kinds) papaya (different kinds) kale different kinds, all sorts of salad greens all kinds of stuff…even Durian my new love…but anyhow I do the best I can here…I eat tons of local wild greens (borage, and other things I do not know the name of..) I make smoothies, I make lovely green juices, currently I am on a lemon, water and green beans juice kick…so I make do. I do not even bother to explain I am raw or vegan if I go out I simply as for a salad and take my own dressing with me …so you are not alone living in a remote area from vegan and raw urban areas…hang in there!

I splurge once in a while and order from the UK things I cannot get here goji berries, raw chocolate powder, maca, coconut butter, coconut oil…it is hellishly expensive but I am worth it and plus I do not eat out much anymore..ok I am rambling now, hang in there and if you ever need support (I forgot to mention that I am raw alone here) besides this site which is great , I can use all the raw support buddies I can find, many blessings :) xoxoxo Dea