Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

1 month 100%RAW and no weight lost????

Hi everybody,

Today is mu 1st 100% Raw day, and I weighted myself. I just wanna do it once a month because, if not, I just get crazy about it. So today was the day, and I realized that I haven't lost a pound in my first month... ?? WHY!!

I'm not obsessed about it, I mean, I just wanna loose 7 pounds in total. But yesterday, for example, I put on some jeans I have since a year, and I wasn't even able to close them good cuz I put weight since january (it's fine because I was way too skinny).

But I don't understand. I'm going at the gym 5 times a week and eating 100% raw. I'm not going crazy on fats. I try to eat each day, but it's usually nuts or avocado, and not each day.

Is this that I'm eating too much bananas? Because bananas and oatmeal are the center of my alimentation, I'm just in love with this mix right now. And zapote too but too exepensive to be eating like crazy.

Anyway, someone can explain me why is it this way so I can understand ?

THank you!

Karine

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

maybe you don't need to lose weight. when you're raw, your body will naturally be the weight it wants to be. i'd like to lose a few fat pounds, too, but i'd rather enjoy my avocadoes!

• Fat doesn't make you store fat. Carbs make you store fat. Cut out the oatmeal, not the bananas

• oh really!! I tought bananas where making me feel like this, and not the oatmeal.

I heard once that the body intuition make the body want to eat some special food. For example, I might want to eat a lot of mangos because I need some vitamin C (ok its just an example).

But, I also heard that the body want to eat some stuff that destroy him. Like, I really want to eat oatmeal all the time, but I know I feel gross after, I feel big, full and everything... maybe it's true..!

I'll try to cut out the oatmeal and tell you how I'm going.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

Bananas are carbs...

• but i tought carbs gave energy and cuz they dont have fat the glucose wasn't turinng into a gaining of weight.. hum..!

• and yeah bananas are carbs... so what about the oatmeal then

Oatmeal is less optimal fuel. Eat only the bananas and see the weight fall. We humans cannot properly use grain.

• Ok i'll try it, thanks!

• amberablueamberablue Raw Newbie

It sounds like you have wonderfully healthy habits and in my experience, that is the key thing for maintaining one's health and figure.

I didn't lose much weight for the 1st few months... (My detox phase seemed short and light, but a person's body might be detoxing for the first 2-4 weeks or more). After some time being raw, your digestion and metabolism potentially will get super efficient and fast. This happened to me after a few months and I was losing too much weight and metabolism was lightening speed, and couldn't afford to just buy double the food! (also i don't think this is the body in balance), so had to balance things back around to some heavier food, more calorie dense! It will most likely happen to you if you stay 100% or near 100% raw for a stretch.

Also, you said you are exercising regularly, and you are probably gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. You could also be holding water weight or something like that (only mentioning cuz it can happen to us females). Weigh yourself in the a.m. first thing, then 1 or 2 other times later that day to see how much could be water/food weight, and the variance.

Give it a bit more time and enjoy being raw!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I'm not agreeing that you "need" to lose weight, but in respecting that you WANT to lose weight, can we see some of your diet? Was it really only oatmeal and bananas? I would cut out the oatmeal or most of the oatmeal and add some greens, apples, strawberries, some other fruits, and NO other fat except 1/2 avocado per day (at nighttime)(and for now).

Also, you don't have to weigh yourself - you can use your naked body or how your clothes fit to gauge how you want to look. You might benefit from changing your workout or doing an extra 5 min. run per day or doing some stairs.

• superfood2 actually this is the hard thing, and strange thing at the same time: i dont have much access so berries and fruits like apple, peach, apricot and stuff. Cuz I'm in central america, and in the mountains, the access I have is mostly to bananas, papaya and pineapple (all year long) and cannot be consummed in high quantity as plums or apples and stuff.

The other thing is that I did saw changes over my body, a lot a mean! My face look more skinny and my umbrows too, my legs, but its like f i gained weight over my stomach and back. So its harder to fit in my pants!!! But i'm fine for the rest, and have the same weight. I will see over the months how is everything going and try your advice of 1/2 avocado a day by night.

THanks!

• Hi Fonky, I thought I'd put my two cents in. When I first went raw three months ago, I didn't lose weight either. Prior to going raw, I was on an anti-candida diet and I didn't lose weight on that and I cut out a lot of things. Now I wasn't looking to lose much, maybe 5-8 lbs. Now that I'm almost in my fourth month of going raw (I'm not 100% either) I have lost 4 lbs and my body has changed. My body has become more defined and my clothes fit nicely. I made a few changes in my exercise regimen as well. I'm a marathoner and triathlete, so now I added in yoga for something different. In terms of eating, I like to have oatmeal now and again in the mornings and I don't think that would cause you to put on weight. I find that eating every 2.5 hours works like a charm. I drink a ton of water and I make sure my meals are well-balanced. I might eat one cooked meal a day, sometimes I go without it and eat completely raw.

My suggestion to you is to take a look at how you are eating. If you are eating too few calories, you won't lose anything because your body will think it is in starvation mode and will hold onto everything you put in your body. Also take a look at your exercise regimen. Are you doing the same thing over and over again? The body needs to be tricked so that you don't plateau. Are you overdoing it with your workouts? Overworking the body will put it into stress. It could be anything but it also could take some time like it did for me. My body was detoxing for the first couple of months and perhaps that is the reason I didn't lose anything initially.

Good luck and hang in there!

Are you eating enough calories, I hope? I would eat like 5 papaya per day if I could. :)

• ahaha ! superfood2 yeah papayas are great and I'm sure I'm eating enough calories per day. If you are addicted to papayas, I am addicted to zapote, which is the BEST fruit ever. If they weren't that expensive, I would be eating them twice a day but once is enough :P Try to taste it if you can find it somewhere.

tukiville, you make me think that I might have to change some exercise. I will start these salsa classes here in my town. Actually I was only doing aerobics, but sometimes it pisses me off :P I feel like I'm only there with a bunch of woman only to "loose weight". Maybe it would be great to try the dance part. I know there is a yoga spot here too buyt I heard they were mostly doing meditation. I might go and have a look. I noticed that my body changed and I feel healthy, but yesterday I was so sad not to fit in my pants again, well yeah, I fitted in my pants but they were kind of small... smaller than a month ago, so I found it weird... But I do feel like I have more muscle.

• wow. hmmm.

let me send you a very simple book on how to be skinny,

on a raw diet. ok, actually, it is a GREEN diet. the new raw

people usually do sugar high and crash diets.

it is also major problem in the other forums.

it is a FREE book, and in online form.

it is 40 pages.

I don't sell anything.

you should start getting results in 3 days.

i think i can leave my email here.

these are nice people here and i don't want to

break their rules.

trent.black@live.com

-trent black

the ole hippy from hipprocrates west, lemon grove, ca, long ago, and far away

• Hi Trent

Would you mind if I contacted you also for the book? I've just started raw and have to say, I'm looking forward to the health benefits but don't want to start out the wrong way, incorporating too much sugar, fat etc

Thanks a million :)

• no. anybody can have it. just send me an email.

i did it because all my raw friends, became sugar junkies,

on the raw diet. then they all gained weight.

it is more a GREENS diet, instead of the frutarian diet

most people end up on.

if you have any concerns, after you read it,

let me know.

-trent

trent.black@live.com

Wow. It's brian clement trolling on goneraw forums. Fruit is evil!!

• Cut-out the NUTS, & OILS. See if things change for u. Its a common problem going raw. Boost up on the Greens Greens Greens!:)

• The equation is very simple - if you consume less calories than you expend you will lose weight. Obviously there are numerous methods of making this more or less effective, but the base equation remains true.

Step 1: go here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ and work out your base metabolic rate. This is how many calories you will burn even if you sleep all day, It's what your body needs to maintain all your internal processes.

Step 2: eat 250-500 calories less than that depending on how active you are. If you eat less than 1100 cal per day you will diminish your metabolism (i.e. starvation mode.) So at a minimum eat around 1200 cal per day, you'll definitely need more if you actively work out. This is a method for decent weight loss though - for a steady, slow, gradual loss (less than 2lbs a week) you want to aim to eat 200-300cal less than you expend each day.

Eating more frequently will help keep your metabolism going, as will adding fresh chili and ginger to your food.

It doesn't matter where your calories come from, whether grain, nut or fruit, carb, fat or protein the above remains true. However its easier to get enough fiber and nutrients if you eat a wider variety of food. There are many other reasons you may not want to eat oatmeal or nuts or avocado, but there is no reason to give them up in terms of weight loss. Nuts are always a killer because people eat too many of them. A single whole walnut is a little over 100cal, 15 almonds are the same as a medium sized apple. (90-95 cal)

You need to calculate how many calories you are eating - I can tell you here, a medium sized banana is about 145cal, half a small avocado is about the same. Look up the energy in everything you eat (http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/) and then tailor the amounts you eat to fit your required intake.

I disagree with the post above. As someone who has figured from online calculators, including exercise, that I burn about 2,300-2,500, I can eat 1,000 more per day and not gain. I'm high fruit low fat, though, so my diet is cleaner and the food/nutrients is/are usable.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I have always thought that it is simple in terms of burning more calories than I consume, but I'm struggling to lose belly fat despite regularly working out and closely monitoring my calorie intake.

I figure I am either failing to count up correctly (or forget) the calories I've consumed and therefore eating more than I realize or I could possibly be eating too little and therefore putting my body into starvation mode and encouraging it to cling onto fat. On an average day I believe I consume between 1300 - 1500, which when I work out my MBR is quite low really considering the exercise I do.

I am not 100% raw, but the cooked food I eat is pretty healthy and always vegan. I have occasional lapses when I eat a few too many crisps at a friend

• sv3 I do have this problem too, well I don't think that it's a problem, only that our body is made that way. At the begining of the year, I went up to 107 pounds because I tried to cut out the calories (I was still very active), but I was soooooooooo skinny, I had bones going out everywhere... ahah but I was still having this belly, and even if I was damn skinny, people were asking me if I was pregnant... I was so surprised by these things people where telling me... even I didnt had my period for 6 months, I wasnt pregnant, not at all!!! Anyway. I understand... and want to tell you that you are not alone in this situation ;)

I think you could try more cardio or doing something different with your workout.

• personaly, i'm actually doing 45 minutes of cardio daily, plus muscles training (abs, upper and lower body), i'm always walking to go somewhere, I don't have a car or anything.. !!

But I think I should eat more greens. When I was a kid, I use to do hypoglycemia and I'm still with it, even if it's no suck a big problem right now. But, I think that, in this case, I should be eating more greens and low-glycemic fruits. Actualy, I'm eating a bunch of bananas, zapote, mangos and stuff. I'll check that out this month, to see if some changes might help with that.

And, to tell you, i'M not eating oatmeal since the day I told you so, and I really feel great. I used to feel full all the time when I was eating oatmeal, but now i feel very good and I don't NEED to eat it now.

• I'm also underweight and the more I eat, the more I lose (without complex carbs of course). I think the whole calorie thing is a myth, just like the saturated fat myth (from coconuts I mean). Also had the belly bloating issue and have helped it immensely with lots of fruit and coconut, green smoothies, Ohhira's probiotics and a liver flush. Not fun but highly effective against something I've struggled with for many months. As for exercise yoga is sooo good for the core muscles. I'm finally standing up straighter and realize I was slouching and holding my stomach muscles tight all the time because my stomach hurt. So nice to finally let that tension go

Glad you're off the oatmeal and it's helping!! Grains are bad news in any form. If you're craving something similar you could try chia pudding, it's really tasty and easy on the tummy, plus very filling

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Thanks for your comments, maybe you're right in that I need to mix up my workouts a bit.

Im really into running so tended to stick to that mostly whilst doing a bit of yoga and pilates.

I've just joined the gym (as it's too cold/dark to run outside at the mo) so intending to join some exercise classes and incorporte strength training too.

I still love my running though, so will keep to that as a base to work from.

Fonky - thats great you feel better after cutting out the oatmeal and also breaking the feelings of dependancy on it.

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

I have been at least 50% raw for not quite 3 years. I didn't lose any weight until recently. About two months ago, I started food combining. One of two days a week I get a mini break from it. I have lost 7 pounds. For two decades I ranged at 135 pounds to 143 pounds. I am now at 129 mid day. I practice pilates 7 days a week and formal yoga classes 2 days a week. It's not fun, but food combining does seem to work.

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

And yes I do eat one or two bananas a day (just don't combine them with a starch or sugar or meat). I don't eat meat.