Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Not vegan, but is it raw?

Since we have been raw for 2 months, we are now starting to eat out and with our family. They are all interested, but none will give up cooked food. We have been getting many suggestions, like: cevichi

My uncle wondered if ceviche is raw. Is it?

We went to a gourmet deli and asked if the shrimp in the ceviche is ever heated. He said no.

Does the citrus “cooking” of the shrimp change the quality of the enzymes?

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I would like to know this as well, since there are some raw foodists who are raw but not vegan and eat raw seafood.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi

I’d have thought that if you’re going to eat seafood there’d be a strong argument to cook it! Seafood is the biggest cause of food poisoning in the United States, having caused 237 outbreaks since 1990. I think there must have been a good reason behind the Jewish food laws set thousands of years ago, ie no eating of pork and seafood. These are probably the worst foods for us as these creatures are scavengers of all sorts of waste matter. Yum!! Love, Debbie Took, UK

• I would think that cevichi would be considered raw because it’s not heated at all and therefore none of the enzymes would be killed.. I don’t think I’ve ever tried it but it sounds interesting (I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE shrimp so this might be a nice treat if I can make it.. after pregnancy that is) The only difficulty I can see is finding some good quality shrimp that aren’t from problem areas (the whole mercury, red tide, fish farm pollutants – thing)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Poisons are more concentrated the higher up the food chain you go. This may be why it’s a good rule to eat animals that are vegetarian… lower on the food change… that is, if you are going to eat meat/fish. (I don’t eat it anymore though.)

But still, to answer the enzyme question… the enzyme(s) in the lemon may help digest food …depending on what kind of enzymes is in it.

• well .. i eat raw sashimi all the time … i mean allll the time .. at least once a week … its really good source of protein since i dont eat any other form of meat/flesh.

Here is alink of two pictures .. yumm:

http://www.sdoceanharvest.com/images/image002.jpg

http://www.ariake.co.nz/custass_sashimi.jpg

Or i also eat Ahi Tuna and its just seared on the outside and the inside is still raw .. its really delicious too:

http://www.thomlarussa.com/Images/AhiTuna.jpg

• ceviche is a specialty in my country, I’ve made it plenty of times when I was an omni and yes it is raw. It’s raw fish gets “cooked” in the lemon juice after 6 hours, and its very safe to eat. Alteast I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick off of it, and I lived in Panama for many years. People there aren’t as hgygenic lol.

If you like ceviche, try octopus ceviche….. wow, almost makes me want to start eating sea food again!

• Thank you for all the help. I think that we are going to include cevichi in our raw diet, but we have to find good quality shrimp. Since we are in Colorado, I know that we will be looking for frozen shrimp. I think that wild oats/whole foods may have good stuff.

• I’m from the border of Texas and Mexico in Matamoros and grew up making my own ceviche. I have never seen it made with shrimp nor would I. We use scallops or mollusks which are often already eaten raw. If you have a hard time getting fresh seafood like shrimp I would go with a mollusk or shellfish that is intended to be eaten raw and therefore special attention will be given to it’s freshness. I don’t eat seafood anymore but octopus ceviche sounds like something I need to try. Love.

• Thanks again, made the personal descision not to eat after really thinking it over (and researching health benifits).