sugar pumpkin

So, with my very last $5 until the 5th, I bought a sugar pumpkin (along with some eggplant, peppers, and persimmons). Its pretty good sized, but because I am so broke, and low on food, I'm curious to know if you have any recipes that give me the most "bang for my buck" .. so to speak.

I've got a pretty good sounding pumpkin bread recipe in Living in the Raw Gourmet, but it calls for pecans, and I don't think I have any. Is there something I could sub for 1C pecans?

This is the first pumpkin I've ever bought to eat - I usually just carve things into them. I've got a list of recipes I would love to try, but want to know if you've got any great first-time pumpkin recipes, tips, suggestions.

Comments

• Thanks in advance!

• What is sugar pumpkin, how does it look like? Isn't it the same, as butternut squash?

• A sugar pumpkin is just a small pumpkin usually used for making pies (it's called a pie pumpkin also). It's not tiny, yet not as big as your average jack-o-lantern.

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

I'd like to know if anyone has any tried and true recipes using pumpkin. I just bought a pie pumpkin as well. I'd love a good pumpkin cookie recipe if anyone has one.

• pumpkin cookies sound delicious!

• Maybe I'll play around with a recipe for pumpkin cookies tomorrow

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hiya, I made these the other week:

Pumpkin Bread (http://goneraw.com/node/4237)

Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Cranberry Spelt Tea Cakes (http://goneraw.com/node/16340)

Both were lovely and I'm looking to buy another pumpkin (hopefully on sale now) so I can make more!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I'm not a fan of raw pumpkin.. but, i keep trying it! Any recipe that calls for butternut squash, you can substitute for a pie pumpkin. Kevin Gianni has a Pumpkin Bar recipe that he just posted.... i made it, but i had to add water b/c my mixer (blendtec) wouldn't blend it smoothly without... so, it came out more like a pumpkin pudding. I brought it to a potluck and some people enjoyed it, but I did not. I guess i just don't like raw pumpkin :( If you'd like for me to email you some pumpkin recipes that i just found, please send me a message.... carriegraf at gmail.com

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

http://goneraw.com/recipe/pumpkin-pudding-0

This sounded good too! Look in the recent recipes... there's one for salad with spicy pumpkin dressing... sounds good too!

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

**Raw Pumpkin Soup**

I found the idea online and adapted it. Here's what I used:

about 2 cups pumpkin, cubed

2 apples, (peeled, cored and chopped)

2 carrots (peeled)

a bit of sweet onion

-- I put these in my food processor to chop them up into very small pieces, then added:

Water ( 3/4 cup makes it as thick as apple sauce; add more if you like)

Cinnamon

a splash of lemon juice

Sea salt

-I blended all of this together and ta-da, a very sweet, almost dessert-like soup! I added raisins to it at one meal, and another time I used it as dip for apples.

-The original recipe called for a clove of garlic, which I used the first time I made it and did not like at all. If this recipe is too sweet for you, you make want to use garlic or experiment with other spices.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Somewhere on here I have a mock salmon pate that can be made with butternut squash or pumpkin. It's delicious.