Is there something I should know about being raw and pregnant?

Hi all,

I was wondering if I should be aware of maybe what I should include daily or what things I should eat while pregnant. I am new to this way of life and am concerned as to whether I will “get enough” to accomadate me and baby. Thank you—Missa

Comments

• Hi Miss Amber! I would try to eat sprouted lentils for the folic acid and collard greens for the calcium. Fenugreek seed (from the spice section or sprouting section at whole foods) is supposed to increase milk production. It can be sprouted too. If you can find these they would be interesting for kids to sprout because they smell like maple syrup.

Foods with lysine are supposed to help with pain and healing. It is most commonly found in meat and dairy though. Papaya, apricot, avocado, collard greens, and beets are higher in it than arginine.

Human milk has a lysine arginine ratio of 1.5 to 1. Whereas cow milk has 2x the lysine to arginine. Avocados are really close to the human milk ratio which I think is the ideal percentage. Fruits and super grains are close to this as well but nuts are higher in arginine which can throw someones body off balance.

Sesame milk is a good thing to consider drinking for the calcium. Tahini for dips and dressings, and halva for desserts.

Of course there is a lot of info relating to this but this is something I thought you may not have heard of.

FLAX SEED: Nature’s most abundant vegetarian source of Omega 3 fatty acids, vitally important for strength in the heart and arterial walls, lowering cholesterol, reducing high blood pressure, diminishing insulin requirement acuity, brain development, adrenal function and sperm formulation. Flax Seed is the richest known source of “lignans”, a constituent of fiber that promotes anti-tumoral, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and antioxidant effects in the body.

CHIA SEED: A staple food used by the Indians of the southwest and Mexico, Chia is known for its remarkable capacity to absorb more than 12 times its weight in water. Chia Seeds allow the body to regulate the body fluids more efficiently, while maintaining the electrolyte balance. The high oil content of the Chia Seed makes it a bountiful source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids.

SPROUTED QUINOA (keen-wa): Consumed for thousands of years as an indigenous food of South America, Quinoa’s origins are truly ancient. Greatly revered by the Inca civilization as the “mother grain”, Quinoa is touted in modern day as a perfect food, due to its impressive nutritional profile. It is considered to be a complete protein comprising the full essential amino acid spectrum. It contains more protein than any other grain; an average of 16.2 percent, with some varieties more than 20 percent. Its amino acid balance is similar to that of milk. Quinoa is high in lysine, methionine and cystine, constituents of protein that are often very low in other grains. In addition to protein, its unique profile supplies carbohydrates, natural sugars, unsaturated oil (especially high in linoleic acid), vitamins and minerals, and is an excellent source of vital dietary fiber.

SPROUTED AMARANTH: Once a staple food of the pre-Columbian Aztecs, Amaranth first found its way to the Americas from China, and eventually reaching Mexico as early as 2000 BC. Primarily thought of and used in recipes as a grain, Amaranth is actually a fruit whose bushy plant grows 5-7 feet, with a distinguishing intense red or magenta flower head displaying itself in exquisite feathery plumes. Each plant is capable of producing 40,000 – 60,000 edible seeds. Amaranth is notably high in protein, 15-18 percent, and contains exceptional amounts of calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorous and vitamins A, C and E. The germ of the Amaranth Seed is high in linoleic rich unsaturated oil. Most notable is its impressive fiber content, which is 3 times higher than wheat.

PUMPKIN SEED: Dating back over 7,000 years to its origins in Central America, Pumpkin Seeds are known to be a potent healing food in the urinary tract and prostate health. They are an excellent fiber source high in phosphorous, iron, calcium, vitamin A, folic acid, niacin and essential fatty acids.

SUNFLOWER SEED: Native to North America, the Sunflower was first grown and used by the American Indians. Sunflower Seeds have ar impressive nutrient profile, containing significant amounts of calcium, iron, copper, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. In addition, they are an excellent source of protein, the B vitamins, carotenoids and Omega 6 essential fatty acids. Most notably, Sunflower Seeds are higher in dietary fiber than all other seeds and nuts.

SESAME SEED: A traditional food in oriental and Middle Eastern cultures, Sesame Seeds have been used medicinally to relieve constipation, stiff joints, backaches, weak knees and is considered an overall strengthening food. High in protein, niacin, calcium, copper, iron and significantly in magnesium – Sesame Seeds also contain substantial unsaturated fat and dietary fiber.

MILLET: The chief cereal grain for millions of people in India, China, Africa, Russia and throughout Europe – Millet is most noted for its high silica content, an important component for the nervous system, tendons, skin, nails and hair. It proudly contains no gluten, significant for those on a gluten-free regime, and is abundantly rich in digestible dietary fiber.

BUCKWHEAT: Not actually a grain, but the seed of an herb, Buckwheat is a dietary staple in the hardy northern climates of Russia and Brittany. It contains substantial amounts of lysine, calcium, vitamin E, the entire B vitamin complex, and is especially noted for its high leatrille (vitamin B17) content. As well, it provides a good source of dietary fiber.

• Hi, Thank you so much:) You took so much time to write all of this helpful info for us and we here all appreciate it! Missa & Family….(aaron,missa,aaron-8,ian-6,isaac-6,miavanna(mia)-4…& coming soon near x-mas-new baby:)

• There are a few essential supplements that you will need. Eating raw vegan while pregnant can be very risky if you have not prepared yourself for it by reading the books and watching the videos.

Study the works of Dr. Gabriel Cousens and Dr. Brian Clement before going 100% raw!

Mike