Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Pregnant and sick, cannot support raw food. Help!

Hi there.

I'm so happy to be expecting a second baby. The eldest is 11 months old now and I'm 7 weeks pregnant.

But... the sickness has started and I feel so weak and dizzy. Since 9 monthsI'm 70-80 % raw, but now I get sick even thinking of raw food. With effort I managed to make a fruit smoothie this morning, but almonds, avocado, salad, I cannot even think of it...

Yesterday I started to eat bread again, something I didn't imagine to eat ever again. And it made me feel so much better. Today again I've eaten bread.

I really would like to have a high raw pregnancy. During my last pregnancy I was not raw and I had a lot of physical and emotional problems. I've read and heard about the benefits of being raw during pregnancy, and a (high) raw pregnancy is my wish. But something stronger than me seems to be taking over.

I mean, I also have to eat. Even more because I'm still nursing 11 months old baby, who drinks a lot.

Please help. Thanks...

Comments

• Hi Rosa,

As a Whole Health Educator and mom of two I heartily recommend that you listen to your body. When I was pregnant with my daughter I couldn't have eaten greens if I had to (and I LOVE greens). All I wanted was white food - bread, pasta, rice, etc. and I very rarely eat white flour or white rice. It will pass. I promise. Trust that you and your baby are getting all of the nutrition that you need and allow yourself to eat what your body is asking for.

Soon you will be back to smoothies and veggies galore. As much as you can cherish the wisdom of your body.

Warmly,

Alison (aka Super Nutrient Gal)

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

try youtubing jinjee. her labor was short and sweet when she was raw. when she had a cooked pregnancy it was many many hours. maybei f you feel so sick you shouldn't eat until you are hungry for raw food again.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I've never been pregnant so I know I have no experience on this but I just wanted to say that I'm sure it's better for you to be kind to yourself, stay happy and eat what you really crave than to feel miserable or force yourself to eat raw when the thought of it makes you feel sick. I've heard it's worse for you to feel bad about what you eat than to eat healthily but be miserable.

Good luck to you and best wishes.

• Your pregnant, AND nursing. Definately do whatever it takes to get nourishment. Worry, about your health, not being raw (they aren't always the same). The raw food will still be there when you can stomach it again.

• Thanks, this is really supportive.

I have difficulty with the difference between my ideas about a ideal situation

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Hi Rosa,

I struggled with the same thing when I was pregnant with my last pregnancy. I really wanted and EXPECTED an easy raw pregnancy...not the case! I had horrible morning sickness that I was not able to get under control until I listened to my bodies cravings for *some* cooked food (mostly ezekial bread, brown rice, and quinoa), and once "grounded" from those, my body starting craving raw food. It took until almost my second trimester. My phllosphy on this was that because my body was so "pure" (I was 100% raw for almost a year prior to pregnancy, that I needed to trust my body when it starting craving something out of my norm. When I got my head out of it, and honored what it was telling me at a heart level, everything got better. I wrote a very honest article for Indiebirth.com about my experience if you are interested in reading it. It's still on the website.

Jump forward to my current pregnancy, and I have taken what I learned and have had a wonder mostly raw pregnancy now into my 3rd trimester. It has been far less riddled with guilt and more joyful as I am truly listening to my body and honoring what it says.

Remember, Jinjee has been raw for much longer than most of us, so her experience is going to be much different than ours. I wished, hoped, and prayed for a fully raw pregnancy. But, it wasn't until I was willing to let that go that the sickness, guilt, etc. went away.

No offense, Zinfandel, but the advise you gave was completely inappropriate. You can't not eat when you are nursing and pregnant, just because you don't want raw food. As has been exampled in many cultures around the world, non-raw food is better than no food/starvation. You don't want to put your body into a state of ketosis. Ketosis has more potential to severely alter your labor and birth for the worse (at a medical emergency level many times) than eating cooked food will. I am not trying to offend you, just wanted you to be more aware of the advise you are giving...

Blessings!

-Sunny

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

i was high raw during my pregnancy but the first 3 months was brutal. i had morning sickness 24/7 for 3 whole months i didnt hardly eat at all but when i did you know what i went for...........

meat, bread and dairy!! i did that for about two weeks prolly to get some serious protein in me from not eating for 3 months but two weeks later all i wanted was raw and it was like that the rest of the pregnancy. so listen to your body, eat what you want and can. continue to read ont he benefits of raw foods and your body will snap back into it.

HTH

• I can totally relate...in my first pregnancy, I wasn't liking raw foods at all. I had a few cravings for cooked food, but I was actually turned off of food in general. It was strange, since I wasn't feeling morning sickness.

I just tried to eat things that were really palatable to me, like fresh-squeezed orange juice, grapefruit, fresh salads with lots of olives and tomatoes... In general, I stayed away from nuts and avocados, they just seemed gross at the time. I also took things I was craving (pasta, falafel, beans and rice) and made raw versions of them that were ALMOST as satisfying as the cooked version.

I definitely agree with the others who say listen to your body, because eating raw food that makes you feel sick and depressed is probably worse than feeling satisfied and happy on cooked food.

• Oh yeah,

I also started craving raw foods again in my 2nd trimester. So give it time and you may just come back to it naturally!

• Something that MAY help for the ickiness. I know with my daughter, I HAD to have saltine crackers (or some cracker type thing) to get out of bed in the morning, or I could barely walk from the nausea. A healthier substitute (in my opnion) may be rye crisp bread. It isn't raw, but it's made of only rye flour. You can find them in the cracker isle. They are more like a cracker than bread. I think that would be much healthier than the standard white flour saltine.

• Well, it seems that I am being punished now for leaving the 'raw path'. My sickness is mostly gone, but I am having a heavy faryngitis (throat infection). It hurts so much when I swallow. I try to drink water, because of the nursing, but it hurts so much. Now I can't eat or drink anything anymore, cooked or raw.

• A lot of changes happens when one is pregnant, most common reason is because of hormonal changes. To prevent reflux that can affect your sense of taste, use pregnancy pillow at night. If you feel that this is getting out of hand and already affects your lifestyle, relationship with others, most specially you feel unhappy, go visit your OB Gyne, I am sure she can recommend you a to a very good nutritionist/appropriate doctor for your condition.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I'm a man, and 21, hence I have absolutely no idea on pregnancy BUT I totally agree with these 2:

Your pregnant, AND nursing. Definately do whatever it takes to get nourishment. Worry, about your health, not being raw (they aren't always the same). The raw food will still be there when you can stomach it again.

You need to eat for 3 people! think about that, thats lots of food and nourishment, eat the way that makes you feel best, if it's cooked, then it's cooked, don't worry about that.

Hi Rosa,

I struggled with the same thing when I was pregnant with my last pregnancy. I really wanted and EXPECTED an easy raw pregnancy...not the case! I had horrible morning sickness that I was not able to get under control until I listened to my bodies cravings for *some* cooked food (mostly ezekial bread, brown rice, and quinoa), and once "grounded" from those, my body starting craving raw food. It took until almost my second trimester. My phllosphy on this was that because my body was so "pure" (I was 100% raw for almost a year prior to pregnancy, that I needed to trust my body when it starting craving something out of my norm. When I got my head out of it, and honored what it was telling me at a heart level, everything got better. I wrote a very honest article for Indiebirth.com about my experience if you are interested in reading it. It's still on the website.

I "hate" the concept of eating cooked food, I truly believe that 100% raw is the healthiest way to live, but on 100% I'm miserable, 80-90% never better, without that one cooked food every now and then I simply stop enjoying raw food, almost nothing raw tastes good after a few days on 100% raw, so I decided that it's "ok" to eat that cooked meal every now and then, I don't beat myself up for it as it's not binging on a crave, it's simply something I need to keep myself stable in this diet, hopefully in the future I could rid myself of it, so I think you do the same, if you need some cooked food to be raw(paradoxically as it may sound) then that's the way to go.

• Some women take that to extremes and wind up gaining 60 pounds while pregnant, but our bodies change while pregnant so I would suggest eating what you feel like eating in order to get enough nutrients into your system. When I was pregnant my dietary choices / habits changed drastically and returned to "normal" after I had the baby.