Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Adopt-a-Turkey instead of cooking one!

JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Why not start a new tradition with your non-vegan family? Instead having a Turkey at dinner, sponsor one from the Farm Sanctuary and ask your friends and family to do the same. Or you can also sponsor a turkey in the name of someone else like your children :-)

I adopted Hawthorn. They are all so sweet and adorable. Check it out!

http://action.farmsanctuary.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=14681.0

I've seen some rather gruesome and extremely heart breaking undercover investigations on turkey farms. I've really been effected by what I've seen. So I try to share this info with friends and family. For this year's annual Thanksgiving get-together, everyone is fine with a vegan dinner without the poor dead turkey in the middle of the table. I do have to admit that I have made it clear that I would not attend anymore family gatherings with dead animals as I find it upsetting. I just can't shake the images when I now see meat. For a couple meals out of the year, my family is OK with having a few 'compassionate' dinners. If they were adamant about having a dead turkey on the table then it would be time to find a new family ;-)

It's not the 1950s and it seems more and more people are waking up and willing to try new traditions and new healthier and humane food :-)

Here is one link that I've shared with friends and family. Use this if anyone asks why you would be upset to see a dead turkey on the table:

"Butterball's House of Horrors" undercover investigation (you can read about it if you are not able to watch the video as it's gruesome)

http://www.goveg.com/feat/butterball/butterball.asp

Comments

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

bump :-)

And besides Thanksgiving is about being with your loved ones and enjoying their company. I don't think anyone will miss the Turkey since there will be plenty of other great options, side dishes, trad thanksgiving veggies, lasagna, some raw vegan desserts and a bit of wine. No one will go home hungry or unsatisfied ;-)

• We have turkeys (basically like little pets) out at my ranch in west texas! they are sooo adorable. (no, none of my family members hunt) We have a feeder right beside the house and at dawn you can look out the window and see them and about 17 - 20 deer. I just love it! expect some great photos of these creatures soon at my blog www.myreallyrawlife.blogspot.com :D Joyce H your great!

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

thanks for posting this!

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

This is very sweet...8)

I think a lot of people in this day and age are becoming more open minded about having a 'humane' Thanksgiving dinner. And there are just so many good options nowadays.

Here is an amazing company that makes wonderful vegan meat substitutes:

http://www.fieldroast.com/

Their celebration roast is the best ever! Oh my gosh it's soooo good. In addition to some raw food dishes and desserts, I'm also going to bring down a couple of the vegan celebration roasts. Everyone will love it! And it makes me feel so good that no living being had to suffer and die.

Just bumping this one up ;-)

You also get a photo and certificate of your bird of choice when adopting one of the sweet turkeys on the Farm Sanctuary.

Remember, you can start a new tradition. Family can be surprising sometimes in a good way. They just might love the idea that you are saving a turkey on Thanksgiving day.

Give it a try ;-)

• Yay, hurray for you Joyce H, although we don't have thanksgiving, turkeys are routinely dished up at Christmas in the UK and I have told my family we are going out to dinner as I am NOT cooking an adorable turkey EVER AGAIN! I have only ever been able to do it before, because that's what I was brought up to do. Now I have gone veggie, I can't imagine how I ever ate meat, it just doesn't make sense at all. Karen Calabrese was right in the Raw for Life DVD, the people who live off the SAD and SUKD menu are all asleep to what they are doing.

I was appalled by the PETA write up, but couldn't watch the video yet, will have to psych myself up for that. I shall looked around for turkeys to adopt in the UK and spread the word.......

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, this is such a great idea and I'm thinking of doing the same as Debs - looking for a local adoption scheme in the UK. I'm going to my BF's sisters for Xmas and she's veggie so I'm really happy there won't be any emphasis on a roast turkey for dinner. We're coming up with our own vegan dinner ideas and I'm so buzzed about it! It's a great time to break the stupid 'traditions' that have built up and prove you can serve a tasty meal without cruelty being involved.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

Thanks Joyce! This thanksgiving out of the 5 of us for dinner there were two vegans, two vegetarians and just 1 SAD eater. We had a wonderful veggie feast. Im gonna post that link to adopt a turkey to my facebook- maybe it'll give people new ideas.

• Calling Joyce H.

Joyce I love reading your blog but now it's telling me I can't I have to signin with google account, which I don't have. Is that it for me being able to see you blog???

Kazzie