Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Weight Gain Whilst Raw

DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've been raw for almost 3 years. At the start of this year I noticed that I was putting weight on.

Now it's incredibly easy for me to gain weight if I overeat just a little bit.

I'm eager to hear others' experiences.

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Ive noticed that I lost weight with raw foods at first, but now ive gained a bit back.

Im thinking it has more to due with food combining, which i have been ingoring lately.

Im curious to hear about others experiences with this too!

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

From my experience, I've noticed that if I eat high GI foods I put weight on more easily. I bloat much more easily when I poorly food combine. If I make a recipe that calls for lots of nuts or seeds I seem to put weight on too. I find that if I overeat I easily gain weight.

Things that have helped me lose/ stay at a constant weight are incorporating green smoothies into my daily diet, avoiding large amounts of high GI foods, eating only when I'm hungry and generally not eating so much nuts and seeds.

I have to remember that my body is different to what it was 2 - 3 years ago and I don't require the same quantity of food that I used to.

I'm very interested in if anyone else has had a similar experience or knows exactly why this happens? I've searched the internet but I can't find much information on this topic.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I'm high raw and have lost a bit of weight since eating this way but have noticed that if I overeat or eat poorly, my stomach really balloons and I look pregnant. Beacuse I'm pretty skinny, my stomach looks much more promenant than it used to. I really don't like this but try not to get too hung up on it. If I put wieght on, it goes straight to my stomach. My Mum is the same so I think it's just genetics.

• erinerin Raw Superstar

Hey Deborah, I have been raw on and off (mostly on) for over a year. I too was finding that it was VERY easy for me to gain weight if I ate just a little bit too much or a little bit too much sugar, just like you were saying. I was also experiencing some health issues that I was trying to heal and having no luck with. So I fasted for 3 days and just really paid attention to my body and asked the universe/spirit/whatever you want to call it to show me what I needed to do to heal myself. And within a few days I heard about the 80/10/10 diet from several different directions. So I said, well maybe this is what I need. I've been eating this way for 5 days or so now and have already lost 4 pounds and have LOTS of energy and my candida overgrowth symptoms are clearing up nicely.

If you aren't familiar with the 80/10/10 diet, you can go on youtube and look up dr. doug graham. You can also just do a search on the internet for 80/10/10 and you will be able to find some information about it. Basically, it's a low fat raw vegan diet and consists of minimum 80% of calories from carbs, max 10% from fat, and max 10% from protein.

Before trying this I thought, there is no way I can eat that much sugar! It's just too much b/c when I eat even a little bit too much sugar I feel horrible! But then I learned that the reason why I was feeling so bad was b/c I was eating too much fat in conjunction with the sugar. If we don't eat so much fat, our bodies handle the sugar wonderfully.

So it's just something to check out and see if it is for you if you haven't already.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

Erin

• I second what Erin says... I switched to 811 very quickly after going raw (just two weeks or so), but since then, I've been able to eat lots and still lose weight

• Hi there,

I definitely agree with the others who suggest a high fruit, low fat approach if you want to loose weight. It's very easy and pleasurable and you really get to eat all you want without worrying about your weight. It is easy to loose weight this way, plus you will feel great!!

Of course, exercise is important too! :-)

Blessings,

Audrey

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

Hell yeah! I gained 20 pounds when I became raw. Never had abs like I've had before, and never had arms and legs like I've had before. 20 pounds of muscle and probably some fat on there too, but still, I'm healthy!

• Thanks for posting guys! So it's the food combining that's so important and alkalizing...I'll get there.

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Dear Erin,

Thank you for the information about 80/10/10. I am familiar with the diet but always thought it wasn't for me.

However, I've been naturally heading that way for most of the year and after your post I researched it more and realised it was more or less what I was doing. I feel MUCH better when I eat that way.

Starting today I am going to eat 80/10/10.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

There are always lots of threads about weight loss or weight gain caused my muscle but hardly ever any threads about plain fat weight gain. I'm very interested into the biology behind why the weight gain occurs.