Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Easy-to-make filling food? Advice needed

Hi,

I need some advice for staying raw and eating clean. I don't have any problem eating 100% raw in the morning (green smoothies and some fruits), but I start having problems after that. I work out of the house and usually make myself a big green salad for lunch. After I finish that, I often don't feel satisfied even if I add half an avocado, and I start grabbing things like dried fruits and sweet bread. I would really appreciate it if any of you can give me some advice to stop my bad behavior. I've got too much body fat and want to lose 10 lbs. I especially have a hard time giving up sweet bread such as muffins and scones. Is there any satisfying raw food I can add to my green salad that doesn't require a lot of time to prepare?

Thank you.

Comments

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

What about dressing? what do you use? The only way that salad makes a meal for me is by using a whole avocado and a dressing with tahini, garlic, olive oil, honey, basil, water, etc. That keeps me going for a while. How big is your salad? mine are usually exuberant: 3/4 box of mixed greens, one tomato, olives, avocado, half a cucumber, onions, green pepper, carrots, sprouts, etc. You may also add some seeds or nuts which makes a more complete meal.

If you are new to raw, there is also the getting use to the "light" stomach compared to the heavy "full stomach that you get when you eat regular cooked food. Are you really hungry, or you need to feel yout tummy a little heavier?

Best wishes to you.

Inge

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

You could top your salad with some kind of nut/seed pate. This is the one I sometimes have as it's tasty and filling:

http://goneraw.com/recipe/sun-dried-tomato-pate

It must be hard working from home. I find it easy at work because I take all my own food in and stick with what I've got. If I'm at home, I tend to keep returning to the kitchen and boredom can lead to snacking.

Try not to have those tempting things in the house if you can help it as if it's not there, you can't eat it.

• Try kelp noodles. They are so low calorie, nonfat and low carb it's like eating nothing, yet they fill you up like nobody's business. They expand in your stomach so you are so much fuller 20 minutes later you can't believe it. I make a tomato sauce in the blender with tomato, garlic, oregano, whatever, and pour it over the kelp noodles and heat it up JUST A BIT so it's not cold, but on the warm to hot side (nowhere near 110 degrees, just warm). It's like having a plate of spaghetti. Satisfying. Then the fullness kicks in and I'm done for much of the day.

SeaTangle makes the ones I get. They're awesome and not expensive. Good luck.

• Can you buy kelp noodles at the store or do you need to order them online?

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Coconut Love I ordered my kelp noodles from amazon.com, they were very resonably priced.

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

check your asian grocer too.... they're called "sea jelly" (but, they did know what i was talking about when I asked for Kelp noodles)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

kelp noodles taste very good but i could not digest them AT ALL! they made me very constipated, so i would watch out how much you eat at once.

• Thank you guys for all the advice! I really appreciate it.

Inge, my favorite salad dressing is very similar to yours except I add nama shoyu, miso and ginger instead of basil, but I think my salad is about half the size of yours. I will start making a bigger one.

>>"Are you really hungry, or you need to feel yout tummy a little heavier?"

Thank you for asking the question. I realized I wasn't really hungry but unconciously I was expecting my stomach to be heavier. I will try to change my attitude and tell myself that not feeling full is normal.

sv3, thank you for the recipe suggestion. It sounds yummy. I will definitely try that!

Syren, thank you for suggesting kelp noodles. I have never tried them. I will include that in my next raw food order and see if my digestive system can handle it.

• You're welcome, Maxerbear. Kelp noodles work wonders for me in the fill up department, but it might not sit well with everyone. I find them pretty benign; no gas or anything.

Coconut Love, you can go to SeaTangle's website and they have lists of stores that carry their products.

What rawlizard wrote is very true about getting used to a 'light' stomach fullness in contrast to feeling full on cooked food. It really is different. I'm getting used to it but sometimes it just feels not satisfying so I know what you mean. I think over time, our bods will be retrained and it won't be such an issue later on down the road.

• its more of a self discipline. You should fill your stomach when your hungry. Increase water intake and exercise are the best ways, and divertional activities as well. Good luck!

• Thanks again, everybody.

I haven't eaten any baked sweets or bread for several days and I just realized that I was much more calm. I think I finally got it. I knew sugar was bad but never realized it would make such a profound difference in a negative way. I love how I'm feeling right now and think I can finally say good bye to baked sugary food. From now on, I will aim for staying 90% - 100% raw and drinking more water.

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Maxerbear, when I want something sweet with my meals, I cut up a pear or an apple and add it to my salad. I also use raisins. I find that these little things really change the taste of the salad and make me feel satisified.

Good luck to you!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

kelp noodles don't fill me up at all. what really fills me up is chia seeds. you can mix them with water or nutmilk and whatever else you like (cinnamon, fruit, etc). belly will be FULL.