Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Want to go raw soon for many reasons...need some motivation.

jubee8jubee8 Raw Newbie

Hello All,

I decided to post a little intro on this site to hopefully gain some more motivation to go raw. Last month, I was planning on going 30 days raw. I made it through two, and then developed the flu. It may have been detox, but whatever it was I felt horrible, and resorted to old sad foods. I want to give it another go though and stick with it regardless of any illness that may develop, because I know it will be better on the other side. Maybe this time, being a little more informed, supported, and ready for the detox that may occur. I am excited though. I have spent a lot of time the past two months gathering information, reading testimonials to the amazing power of raw foods, and watching videos on youtube that also attest to this. I mostly want to go raw because I am a firm believer in constantly trying to achieve the best possible health and doing the best possible things for one's body. It is your tool, that helps you live your wonderful life, so it should be treated with the utmost respect, right? I also want to go raw because I am hoping that it may help with some health ailments I've had over the past year or so. About a year ago I started to develop chronic sinus infections and eczema. I've been to countless drs. Naturopaths, allergists, and regular mds, who all say either its an allergy to mold or wheat or dairy. I've tested postive for all at one point or another and tried to avoid all at one point or another, and tried this pill or that supplement, or this cream, and nothing works. I'm frustrated and hoping that giving my body a chance to detox and eat fresh, unprocessed foods, will get it back to a health state. I've also been battling chronic fatigue and some bad irritability and depression on and off.

So...that's my story. I think in a week or so, after some holiday madness passes, I'm going to do the master cleanse and then start off on the raw food way. I'm only looking into colonics. My sister, who also has had some health issues, strongly recommended them.

Any tips, motivation, or anyone who has any of the above health ailments, I would love your advice, stories, etc. Also, any advice on how to deal with boyfriends, family, friends, and people in general who aren't super supportive would be great.

Comments

• Dear Jubee,

Bravo to you for making this commitment to yourself!

The best advice I could give you is to get yourself a copy of my movie (Supercharge Me! 30 Days Raw). It documents my first "30 days raw" & I made it just for this purpose. You can share it with your family & friends to get them behind you. It really works! And I'm so glad since I've dedicated everything I have to this mission. You'll even see footage of a colonic, so you'll know just what to expect : )

There are also lots of free "how to" recipe videos to my site:

http://www.JennaNorwood.com

All my best to you on your journey!

Jenna

• Jubee8,

This may be a bit of a different approach than you where thinking of, but it's my suggetion all the same. I personally think a more gradual approach is many times better, especially if you are coming from a truly SAD. If you've been living on greasy burgers and fries, soda, etc- going raw will actually be a big shock to your system. Shocks are shocks all the same, even if the leaf you are turning over is a healthy one. From my prospective, exercising is healthy, but if you have been a couch potato- going out and running 10 miles would not only be painful, but in some circumstances actually deadly. Many times drug addicts go into rehap so they can slowly come off of very unhealthy drugs. Being drug free is healthier than being a drug addict, but with some drugs, it can actually kill you to go cold turkey. Now, I'm not suggesting that going raw "cold turkey" will kill you. But, personally I am not a big fan of the whole "it's just detox" view of transitioning. IMO your body is trying to tell you something when you get sick- and it's usually that something is wrong. Why put your body through the stress when you can gradually transition and actually feel good?

If you don't currently eat any fruits or veggies, start adding a salad to your dinner. Have a fruit salad for breakfast, stuff like that. If you don't eat many fruits or veggies, your digestive system may need to slowly get use to eating them. Please consider the slow transition over trying to tough it out through detox.

Wheat and dairy seem to be a problem for many people. Try going for two weeks without one (or possibly both) of them, and see how you feel. I recently gave up wheat (cooked or raw) and I feel much better. I know many people who eat wheat products all the time and feel good and are very healthy. But, if it has been suggested to you by a nutritionalist or doctor I would give it a try. If you don't feel better in a couple weeks, you can always go back to the wheat. Same thing with the dairy.

Good luck with whatever approach you take. But, remember to be kind to your body, it's not just the "end result" that matters. Taking care of yourself along the way is important too. You are more likely to stick with a healthy life style if it doesn't give you the "back door trots" and other assorted "detox" symptoms.

• jubee8, good luck!

I'm also going to start incorporating raw food recipes into my diet with the intention of eventually going completely raw in the future. I cook for my family of four, soon to be five since my father-in-law will be moving in with us, and I know I will be unable to convince neither my husband or FIL to do raw. But my hope is to have raw dishes and cooked food at each meal.

You have great suggestions sisterbecky, I plan on following them.

• If you have to work and have not been particularly active and healthy the past 5 years I wouldn't recommend trying to just go completely raw, the detox sucks and that may have been what made you sick.

I had a horrible detox when I decided to go completely raw for at least a month and a half and I didn't have to work.

If you work everyday then I would say a green smoothie everyday (1/2 cup flax seeds to a cup, greens, fruit) , a big salad everyday, and walk at least 30 mins. Try to get herbs(parsley, cilantro, ginger, as these help with detox) into your shakes. I found that cutting dairy, bread, chips all at once didn't hurt my digestion, but cutting out all cooked food did. It took me a couple weeks for everything to feel like it should and that was not with green shakes. Green smoothie with flax is important (as it fills up space and lots of fiber to help you in the beginning when your likely to eat a lot of watery fruit with not lots of fiber). Also lots of fiber helps with the detox.

Try not to eat too much fat, ie nuts, seeds and dried food (dates, raisins, dehydrator food) which really isn't good for you.

Good luck, 80/10/10 is what I strive for, and seems to work for most.

• jubee8jubee8 Raw Newbie

Thanks guys for the advice. I would consider myself pretty healthy about 90% of the time. I have been vegetarian on and off for the past three years. I already eat a lot of veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats, so I'm hoping it won't be too difficult a transition. I also exercise about 5 days a week, so I would consider myself fairly healthy aside from the sinus infections and chronic eczema and fatigue. Still wondering though if my illness after just 2 days raw a month ago was detox or me just happening to get sick.

I'm starting the master cleanse tomorrow to jump start. I'm only going to do it for 5 days, considering xmas is coming up and I know that if I go to my relatives house not eating anything it will cause too much drama. Any suggestions tho for approaching people in your life that don't understand or are not willing to understand how great raw foods are? I'm so excited to start feeling better, and hopefully finally get rid of this horrible eczema. It has been horrible this past week, and I think it is due to the holiday party fare (as healthy as I try to be).

Anymore advice would be great! Happy holidays to all!