Organic Ingredients

Does anyone use any organic sugar when they bake or cook? What is your favorite organic ingredient to use when you cook?

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Welcome to Gone Raw, yellowdot. Because the emphasis of this site is on RAW vegan recipes, you will probably not find references to sugar, and should find no references to baking or cooking in the recipes here. Raw ingredients that sweeten include honey (not always raw - depends on your source), dates and bananas. Some also use agave (technically probably not raw, but perhaps not as processed as sugar).

• vabeachcgvabeachcg Raw Newbie

some sweeteners to consider:

stevia

agave nectar

date water (soak dates overnight in pure water, and save the water for a light, spritzy sweetener)

bananas

pineapple juice (great in smoothies, desserts where a fruity, sweet taste is needed for a touch of sweetness)

dates

also, (and this was my approach, for the most part....i learned to enjoy the natural flavors of foods...not everything has to be overly- sweet or overly- salty...and then i found i really don't need a lot of sweeteners...i never use stevia...never have (except once in coffee at TJ's sampler bar before going RAW), and i have almost stopped using agave...i am learning to evolve in RAW). for 'sweeteners' i use dates, raisins, other fruits...

• Speaking of sweet, this was an accidental discovery that surprised me. Slice a parsnip thinly and leave it to sit at room temperature for a day, and it develops a subtle sweet flavour!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Even though this is goneraw, I still do bake for my family and friends. I like using organic beet or cane sugar. Or ill use agave or maple syrup.

• Has anyone used xylitol much? I've heard mixed reactions to it but never actually gave it a go.