crusty sruff on top of honey

I just bought a new jar of honey and there's this brown crust on top. Does anyone know what it is? Is it ok to eat? I'm concerned because after I opened the lid the seal came off so easily.

Thanks in advance!

• It's crystallized honey. It's fine to eat, but you can melt it back into the gooey honey form if you don't mind heating it some. If it's in a glass jar, put some water into a pot, then put the glass jar into the pot of water and put it on low on the stove top. Be sure the lid is NOT on the jar. After a little while, the whole jar should be liquidy again.

Honey doesn't go bad. It was found buried in tombs with Egyptians, and it was still edible.

• Are you sure ?It's like brown like chopped nuts, Not that crystal like substance I think you are referring to. Like it looks like a pie crust....

• is it honey comb? i get raw honey, too, and i just eat that with the honey in my tea. it's my favorite part about the raw honey.

• it's perfectly natural. it's called "cappings". it's a mixture of pollen and propolis. you can eat them. Check out here:

and go all the way to the bottom.

• Yes I think you are right rawkid... ok good to know!

Thanks for your help guys!