crusty sruff on top of honey

I just bought a new jar of honey and there's this brown crust on top. Does anyone know what it is? Is it ok to eat? I'm concerned because after I opened the lid the seal came off so easily.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SbutterAMflySbutterAMfly Raw Newbie

It's crystallized honey. It's fine to eat, but you can melt it back into the gooey honey form if you don't mind heating it some. If it's in a glass jar, put some water into a pot, then put the glass jar into the pot of water and put it on low on the stove top. Be sure the lid is NOT on the jar. After a little while, the whole jar should be liquidy again.

Honey doesn't go bad. It was found buried in tombs with Egyptians, and it was still edible.

• Are you sure ?It's like brown like chopped nuts, Not that crystal like substance I think you are referring to. Like it looks like a pie crust....

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

is it honey comb? i get raw honey, too, and i just eat that with the honey in my tea. it's my favorite part about the raw honey.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

it's perfectly natural. it's called "cappings". it's a mixture of pollen and propolis. you can eat them. Check out here:

http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

and go all the way to the bottom.

• Yes I think you are right rawkid... ok good to know!

Thanks for your help guys!