Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WATER FILTER?

Does anyone know of a good water filter that removes floride and clorine?

Comments

• Chlorine will actually escape into the air within 24hrs – quicker if you boil the water. Fluoride is a different question though. I checked out the Brita website and it removes lead, copper, and mercury, but they actually say that they don’t remove much fluoride . . . because dentists recomend it. Er, okay. My brother used to work for Nikken and had nothing but good things to say about that company. We’re currently using one of their filters.

• BarbrawBarbraw Raw Newbie

I have used the Aqua Rain water filter for several years and have been very happy with the results. Yes, it removes chlorine.
    http://www.aquarain.com

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

From the http://www.goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/2113 thread of filters

I haven’t seen anyone here post about the Wellness Filter. The ag studies on the site are interesting. I have used this filter in a sports bottle form and I really like it. In addition to everyday use, I have suggested the sports bottle for folks that travel. This is a way of getting filtered water wherever one goes. This filter is only good for treated water and not good for river/lake or other nontreated water. Personally, I would love to get it in a “whole house” system. I keep hearing how showering with filtered water is also a good/important thang.

• Raw_Chocoholic, Does the filter from Nikken it remove clorine and floride? How often do you need to change the filter?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

The only filters I can think of that will remove Fluoride are activated alumina defluoridation filters and reverse osmosis filters. But I’m not an expert. Have you found any sites that talk about this? I’ve never been able to get an answer from municiple water folks.

• johnjjohnj Raw Newbie

Reverse osmosis can remove chlorine and fluoride. Some whole house water filters specialize in removing chlorine too. I used to have a Brita filter, but didn't like it. My reverse osmosis filter is much better.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

We use an under-sink reverse osmosis system at our house. It does the job. I'm really sensitive to tap water and it gives me a sore throat even with a Brita filter, so reverse osmosis has become the key. 

WheatgrassTammiTrue
  • Harmony1Harmony1 Raw Superstar

I just use a Brita, but our municipal water supply is one of the better ones. 

• WheatgrassWheatgrass Raw Jr. Superstar

The flouride added to drinking water is NOT the same as the flouride that protects teeth.

it is an extremely toxic Industrial byproduct waste that until recently costs a grundle to disposemof in soecial hazardous waste sites...could not even go to a landfill.  NOW, they just dump it in our water.

Google...this is a topic that has “both sides”...and it will take reading a hundred or more sites to have enough info to make your own informed decision.  I have researched this for well over 10 years, you now know my opinion.

Even after all that reading...done to see how I can remove it, I am unsure if even reverse osmosis will...or even distillation unless,using the more complex multistage distillers. (Sometimes a gas/liquid other than water is “the first” to be distilled...hence, “multistage”...

ClaireT
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

We have a well now, so we have our own unique problems with water O.o 

When we were in the city I never could find anything that really, truly effectively removed chlorine. 

• stellagoingsstellagoings Raw Newbie

Filters are good, but I don't believe there are any on the market that remove all impurities. For many years now I've had the practice of distilling the water that I consume in my household. Just seeing the "grunge" that's left in the bottom of the distiller is enough to convince me that it's a good practice. Several brands of water distillers are easy to find on the Internet. Use Google. They will cost you a little bit, but the benefits in terms of improved health and confidence that the water you're drinking doesn't have impurities – – well it's worth it.

ClaireT
  • stellagoingsstellagoings Raw Newbie
    edited March 15

For many years now I've been using a Waterwise system. The Waterwise 4000 is a countertop product, so compact and versatile that it’s widely used—with excellent results—by people around the world. I've used mine here in the United States, and in several African countries where water quality can be a major concern. The Waterwise is really easy to use and will ensure that you have a supply of fresh homemade distilled water no matter where you are. The distillation process removes EVERYTHING.  Since the unit requires no installation or hookups, the 4000 is an everywhere solution. You can move it around on countertops, so it works well regardless of the size of your kitchen. Simply fill the stainless steel boiler with tap water, press the start button, and soon you will enjoy the most deliciously pure and refreshing water you’ve ever had. It comes with a Glass collector/storage bottle. 

• kaleyjkaleyj Raw Jr. Leader
    edited October 9

This is a very useful thread! Thanks for sharing your experience! I started using water filter not long ago. I bought EZ-FLO 60461N In-Line water filter. It helps to remove lead, heavy metals, chlorine, mercury, glyphosate as well as unpleasant odors and tastes from the water. It doesn't cost much, but it's life is only six months, so it needs to be replaced once per half a year. 

ClaireT