Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Grawnola

Ok…so I am all excited to make my own grawnola. I’m wanting a strawberry vanilla-ish one. I have the dehydrated strawberries. Now for the vanilla. I have seen a lot of recipes calling for vanilla beans and then..you scrape off the flavor? If I can not find a vanilla bean…I can use….vanilla flavoring? i though vanilla flavoring was ick. I’m wondering if I am thinking of the baking kind but there is actually a different kind to use in a raw recipe. Any other suggestions for my grawnola would be fantastic. All the recipes I have seen seem to be more…spicy. With cinnamon…cranberries…nutmeg. I am looking more for a springy creamy vanilla ish milky taste.

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Vanilla extract, if that’s what you mean by flavoring, is fine to use in recipes. However, the extract usually contains alcohol, whereas you can get vanilla flavor that is alcohol free. The vanilla beans do have a much more richer, vanilla flavor, but they are not extremely necessary.

• Ah. maybe that is why vanilla extract ( used for baking cookies) taste ick to me, the alcohol. Hmmmmm. I may see if I can get a sample of vanilla flavor…maybe it will taste fine to me with out the alcohol. thanks for clearing up the difference for me! I just know i do not like vanilla extract plain!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

You can buy vanilla extract without alcohol.

Hmmm, not sure what to recommend. Is the vanilla “fresh”?

• Mmmm, I would love a grawnola recipe like that…sounds sooooo good! Will you post it when you come up with a fabulous recipe? If you are wanting fresh vanilla beans, try ebay. I have purchased fresh vanilla beans from there several times, straight from the grower in madagascar. They are great! And much, much cheaper than those nasty dried up ones in the stores.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

If I don’t have beans available, I use organic vanilla flavoring instead of vanilla extract because I want to avoid that alcohol, especially when making raw ice cream (alcohol doesn’t freeze well). And I only use a touch of it because too much doesn’t taste good to me… BUT my favorite to use are organic vanilla beans that I had bought in bulk off of ebay. They are delicious! I use the little vanilla beans (seeds inside of the pods) in most recipes and the outside, left over vanilla pods in my smoothies. :) I’d try goji berries, vanilla seeds or flavoring, and your strawberries and maybe even some orange in it.