Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

To shampoo or not to shampoo?

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

lushpapaya -

Shea butter is pretty heavy but I think it is useful for moisturizing African types of hair (course, curly and dry). I think people with dreads often use it to to keep their dreads in good shape. It depends on your hair type really. If you have fine straight or any “Caucasian” type of hair I wouldn’t recommend using it on your hair. It will be diffcult to get out. It is supposed to be rich in vitamins though. Other than that, I think most people use it on their skin more than their hair. I have used it on my skin and it nice for that.

Are you trying to get some moisture back in your hair or remove oil?

• My hair doesnt seem dry, so I think im a bit on the greasy side. Im just looking forward to the detox is over eventhough I dont think its that bad. I cant figure whether this is grosse but when I work out(bodybike) I dont rinse my hair afterwords, I just dry it and rinse the next day. I really like the texture and my hair isnt grasy when I do that.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thans for the advice queenfluff… I will dilute my shampoo… that is good news (why didn’t I think of that)... I didn’t like the idea of working out or sweating 2 days in a row and not having to wash my hair with something! This advice is good.

lushpapaya-

It is not really gross to not rinse your hair after you work out. I mean, it isn’t BAD for your hair is that is what you are getting at. Sweat isn’t really oily. So, unless your oily feels oily and gross I wouldn’t worry about it.

germin8 -

The less you shampoo, as time goes on, you will one day realize you don’t need it anymore! This is what happens to many who quit shampooing by cutting back and diluting first. They just forget to shampoo because their hair doesn’t need it anymore. And than they realize one day “hey it has been like a month since I have shampooed!” It will take longer but you’ll get there.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Hey, this was bad at first but its already getting better

I went to the beach today and dipped in the ocean and let the sun dry out my hair. I used Rosewater for the dry parts again, and my hair looks fantastic! I don’t have to worry about wearing it down if I can do this! But I also wonder… sunscreen is probably toxic too huh…

Queenfluff- thanks so much for the advice. My hair is fine and pretty wavy/curly. In that case for that kind of hair, maybe I should consider using the coconut oil..?..

MSM sounds great.. I guess its hard to see the difference until your hair has grown out though… is it expensive? its in supplements right?

kundalalita-

The ocean is great for your hair. You live in Santa Moncia right? Your so lucky! I loved that place when I was in Cali! :) The sea salt will get the oil out of your hair.

Sunscreen …ah yes, it is toxic. (it is funny because someone else was just asking about it in another thread on here and also on another board too – popular topic for summer!).

Here is the basic scoop on sunscreen: If you are all raw (I think you said you were a fruitarian so I think you should be OK) than you don’t need sunscreen. You honestly should not burn.Have you tired on not using it? People burn in the sun when they don’t have any enzymes in their body. When you put on sunscreen and lay in the sun, you are basically baking chemicals into yourself. Not very natural or good for you. People who live in areas where coconut is a big part of the diet and spend lots of time in the sun have no skin cancer. Eat coconut or coconut oil before going in the sun.

Alissa Cohen talksa about this. Listen to her Radio Show Number 3#. She explains about sun, sunscreen, skin cancer and being raw.

http://www.alissacohen.com/radioshow.html

I think the coconut oil would be too heavy for your hair. You mean you want to try to shampoo with it or condition with it? I would use VERY little amount to use as a conditioner. If you use in the shower for shampooing, use a little bit.

For the MSM, it is around 25$ for a 16 oz bottle on David Wolfes site. It should last well over a month so I don’t know – not too expensive. It depends on how high an amount you take as a beginner you start out with 1/8 teaspoon or 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. I take 1/2 teaspoon twice a day which is a “regular” amount. I hear David Wolfe takes up to 3 tablespoons! I am not sure why he takes that much. 1/2 teaspoon is good for most people I think. MSM only stays in your body for 12 hours periods. You can’t overdose on it. But I don’t think taking huge doses will make your hair grow any faster. It also helps your body detox.

Glad your hair is doing better! :)

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

Yes! I could never get away without sunscreen before but now I just apply coconut oil and I am fine. Didn’t know that eating coconut oil helps….that is great!

Queenfluff…I did another clay mask a few days ago (only on roots) and my hair was perfect for a day and then a had a re-bound oiliness today…REALLY oily. Weren’t we wondering about this a few weeks ago? I didn’t go back to read the old posts but I’m wondering why the clay would do this…hmmmm.

This is such a fun experiment. Even though I was OILY this morning, I rinsed a lot and my hair looked fab tonight. SO full and curly. I need to take a photo for you!

Yes Santa Monica is wonderful! Although there are lots of health/environment/animal conscious people here, they seem to like to move north where I guess there’s more people like that. The beach is nice, but I can’t help but wonder what uncontaminated water looks and feels like, where you see a fish instead of a coffee cup swimming by like my last experience!

The first time I heard about sunscreen was from this famous holistic doctor I used to work for, he told me “the sun doesn’t cause cancer, sunblock causes cancer”. I did get sunburned going in the sun, I wish I had seen your advice earlier! Its funny because I was actually craving coconut when I spent too much time in the sun…

I wanted to mention that I don’t think sweat makes your hair dirty. It’s supposed to contain things that kill bacteria, and with me its helped a little with the oil situation… i’m gonna try going to a sauna or bikram yoga and seeing how that affects the hair.

You’re right kauaigirl, this experiment is fun! I feel like I’m discovering the Real me the way I was meant to be! We should all take photos of our progress and share them, this is the one place where you don’t have to be shy about it lol…although my hair seems to change its nature 3x’s a day..

Hi kauaigirl and kundalalita!

Yes, it is a fun experiment! Like kundalalita said, I feel like the real natural me is coming out – so it is more than just an experiment. I am saving money, my health, the environment and my hair too! Pretty big payoff! :)

Kauaigirl, yep, I had the “rebound” oilness too. Mine balanced back out pretty quickly though. At least, it was super dry for a few days (I did say that I think I over did it and left it on too long). I think it is hard to just get in on the roots and not have it touch your scalp at all. Was your scalp feeling dry that first day at all? My hair is still staying on the dry side so I don’t feel like I’ll be needing the clay for a long time.

Yes we should take photos! Mine in my avatar is old.Too bad we don’t have a blog on here to put them on. Over at raw food talk, I have gotten people interested in this too. Ha ha! I just joined over there and people were discussing personal care and what people use and I said I didn’t use anything and some people were interested. There are a few others on there who don’t shampoo either and they love it!

Kundalalita – my bf and I are trying to move out to Northern Cali but having hard time getting jobs. When you are from out of state not many are interested in giving you a chance. It really sucks. I liked both areas (Southern and Northern) for health type things. Both had good raw restaurants – I think Northern California people seem more into the environment a bit but I really like the weather in Southern California myself. My bf likes Northern California better.

For the sunblock/sunscreen – listen to Alissa’s radio show – she explains it better than I do. She doesn’t talk about coconut oil. But it is a pretty well know fact that people that live tropcial areas who use a lot of coconut oil and consume alot but do not use sunscreen or block do not have skin cancer.(most of these people aren’t raw either – although I think being raw is the number one thing that does it – coconut oil is added benefit) It is us folks who live in Northern areas and stay away from the sun and use the sunscreens who get it.

http://www.aimforbetterhealth.com/healthlibrary…

LOL…. forgot to mention that I ran into David Wolfe last night while my hair was looking so fab…bet he doesn’t shampoo…his hair is so curly and lush!

Cool! You are right, he DOESN’T shampoo.:) Where did you run into him at?

Hm, I haven’t tried clay but anytime something dried out my hair it automatically ups the oil production.

queen fluff- I wasn’t able to open the radio shows on Alyssa’s site, but it sounds very informational and I’m glad you mentioned it because I hadn’t heard of her before.

I’m officially obsessed with coconut now. Today I got some coconuts and coconut oil and i used it on my skin and my mild sunburn cleared up in a matter of hours. Funny thing is my cat is obessed with it too. I can’t wait to try it out at the beach tomorrow, so excited!

You’re trying to move out to california? thats great! i hear that northern californians are friendlier and that there’s more nature, but in southern california theres probably more job opportunities because of los angeles, and you’re always welcome at my place in santa monica! You could open a ‘Queenfluff’s No ‘Poo Salon’. What kind of work are you guys looking for if you don’t mind me asking? just want to see if I can help

Kauaigirl- wow thats awesome, and i feel your pain! whenever i go outside i think everyone’s biggest concern is my hair… but perhaps David was fretting about his hair too lol

Wow it is hard to take a photo of your own hair! I did my best!

Saw DW at a Howard Wills Healing Event. They are friends. DW spoke for a bit about Raw Foods. I had no idea he would be there.

Kundalalita- I wasn’t being sarcastic about my hair looking fab… I actually have been feeling good about it now, even wearing it down after work!

The BEST coconut oil is Nutiva! It is SO creamy and smells AWESOME!

Hey Kundalalita!

Yes, be cautious with the clay -it isn’t that it is bad for your hair but as you noticed – you get some extra oilyness going on afterwords. That was the first time I had ever used something like that – well, actually no – I used Morrocco Methods Zen Detox when I was using their products. It is mostly clay but it didn’t dry out as much as pure clay version I just used recently. I am pretty content not to use it again for a while. :)

Hmmm, did you get an error opening the radio show. Probably something you are missin on your computer then. I noticed it didn’t open right the first time and than I tried it again. If you have Windows Media player, try opening it with that.

Doesn’t the coconut oil work wonders for sunburn? It works better than aloe IMO – at least for me it did. I use and eat so much of it now.

Yes, my bf and I are looking for jobs right now. I am in IT right now and pretty much there are jobs everywhere in Cali but I for some of the things I do – I see more around LA. My bf wants to live in Northern Cali because he has friends there – which is fine because I don’t really know any one in Cali. Ha Ha! That is a cute name for a salon! I used to be a hairdresser but it was one of those jobs I did right after high school because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life – I am not really interested in going back to doing it but I guess if I were desperate for a job.:) I am actually qualified to do a couple different careers right now I am in IT because I need the higher pay to pay off debt. I probably won’t stay in it forever.

Kauaigirl!

Wow! Your hair looks so nice and fluffy and I love your curl on the bottom. Great picture! So, you are at a little over a month now right? Would you say your hair feels pretty clean for the most part?

I have been wearing mine down for a while now. The first month I wore it tied back alot. I am not working right now so I can look crappy (that is one of the reason I decided to start on this no poo thing – I figure I could get the detox out of the way because I had to start working again!)

I got to take a picture of mine yet. For some reason, even if my hair looks thick and fluff in the mirror, it always photos flat on the top. Ugh, I really hate that.I’ll try to get one later.

Does David Wolfe live in Hawaii? I know he does retreats there but I thought he mostly lived in Cali. (although I believe he has many homes around the world). He was at the Chicago Green Festival a few months ago and I got to meet him. Yes, his hair is soft and fluffy looking.

Yeah you know I just bought some Nutiva coconut oil for the first time. I normally get mine online from sunfood.com or rawguru.com and it tasted a lot different than the other stuff I normally get. Not really bad tasting but a different taste. I wonder if they use different coconuts? I think I might go back to the online stuff I was buying – I like the taste better. I’ll still use it in my smoothies and on my skin though.

Wow your hair does look nice! and it is hard to take a pic of your own hair…

I was finally able to open the show, I think the problem was they were updating the site. It is good info, and I tried it out at the beach today but I still got burned! I guess I haven’t been 100% raw long enough…

Wow you’re in Italy?! thats awesome… damn both you guys are in places I’d rather be Lol.

hey, I told my sister about this no ‘poo business and she told me that she had seen a guy come on a television show to tell how he had gone to several doctors to treat his hair loss and couldn’t find a remedy, and then he tried taking a nap everyday in manure/soil and his hair grew back…so perhaps poo should be used after all!? I need to find more details about that…

Hey Kunalaita!

Your hair is looks great! I wish I had those wavies like you have – that is about as long as I would like my hair to be – I got a while to go yet!

How long have you been raw? I have not been perfectly raw for that long of a time. I went on and off so many times. I do get a little pink when I first start tanning so I don’t stay out as long as first. I always put on a ton of coconut oil on the pink and than it turns browns and after that I am usually home free and don’t burn the next times I go to tan. I normally go for about 3 hours now. At beginning it is like 2 maybe. Depends on where you tan too. I notice if I go to a city beach to tan than I am more likely to get pink. My theory is because of the ozone layer above cities because of the pollution. If I go away from the city, I do better.

I am not in Italy – I am in IT for a a job (IT = Information Technology) and I do computer programming. Sorry I should have spelled that out. I just assume sometimes that everyone knows what ‘IT’ is. :) I live in Wisconsin right now.

People actually use urine in there hair to clean it too. Lucy, who is also doing the no poo, said she used some and her hair was very clean afterwards. I never tried it. I kept planning too but kept forgetting to collect some.

Ok, I got try to take a picture of my hair now that you guys both have! I was lazy today!

Yes, it is day 36 for me! I wouldn’t say it feels clean yet but it’s enough to not be able to tell. It’s the crown area that is still oily but it gives it so much volume that I like it. I can’t tell you how many “root-boosters” I have spent money on to get this volume. My head is flat on top so I’ve always needed a lot of volume on top and now I have it!

DW does live mostly in San Diego but he comes here a lot too. He has his Sucess Ultra Now business partners here (Nick Good & Marco).

Kundalalita your hair is SO long and curly! Beautiful! We are becoming the goddessess we were always meant to be!

Oh haha, yea i’m in my own little world so sometimes I misinterpret!

Ah thank you! yea that pic was taken after I went to the beach, thats when it always looks best!

I’ve been vegan for several years and I’ve been fruitarian for about 2 weeks.

I tried the urine thing and it didn’t really work for me. Maybe its cuz I tried it closer to the beginning when my hair was super duper oily and nothing could make a dent in it, now that its doing better I think I’ll try that again

can’t wait for your pic queenfluff!

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven’t gotten my pic yet. I have been busy and I got to recharge some batteries for my camara! I got too much coconut oil in my hair the last few days and I didn’t rinse yesterday! My hair looks flat right now – I hope it rinses out!

• Hey this is a great topic! I am one who shampoos every few days when I start to feel my hair get greasy, excited to use water only from now on! Yeah! does a happy dance Thank you!

• Hey! I have been shampoo-free for about 10 days. I’ve been “washing” my hair nearly every day with just warm/hot water in the shower, and thoroughly massaging my scalp every few days. It was REALLY greasy for three or four days, but I feel like its actually getting better (today). I’m wearing it back alot.

Would using baking soda at this point hurt me or help me? I don’t want to strip my hair of all of the oil its accumulated thus far, and send my scalp into oil over-producing shock.

I have no problem continuing as is, with just water..but some days when its really really oily it would be nice to be able to do something about it. Things are getting really hot in NYC and I feel gross enough as it is, without worrying about the oil! :)

Also, am I correct in assuming that salt water will help de-oil my hair naturally, without any adverse side effects?

Hello al!

Congrats! Sounds like it is going well for you!

Whether or not the baking soda would harm your progress.. the jury is still out. It is not really shampoo but than again not completely naturally. I am sure there is some sort of chemical changes that take place when you do it. Some people are completely happy with using the baking soda to clean their hair when it gets too greasey. I would say it is OK as long as you don’t get into the habit of doing it every day. Do it maybe once a week?

Yes, the salt water is a completely natural way to get the oil out. It is equivalent to taking a dip in the ocean. It will help dry out that salt and it will also add some body to your hair. :) Be careful how often you use it because it can get drying though.

For myself, I never tried the baking soda but I know others on here love the results. I just didn’t like the idea of putting baking soda on my head. Although it comes from a natural substance – it is chemically produced and I wondered about the effects of using it on me – plus one of my ideas in doing this was to not be dependent on any ‘products’ I would have to buy to use on my hair. I already have salt that I use on my food so that isn’t a problem when I decide to use the salt rinse.

Leave the salt rinse on for at least 5 minutes to get some maximum oil removal.

good luck!

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi Queenfluff,I just found a seedweed that I

45 days- I cracked and tried the baking soda. My feeling is that it cuts down some but not all of the greasies. My hair feels soft everywhere except the crown area. I think I will use it for now only if I have a special event or feel really greasy.

• This topic is great, I’ve never really thought about the fact that your hair needs detoxing, and that it won’t be greasy forever. I would like to try it out, but my hair is quite short now, so I won’t be able to wear it tied back, and I don’t think I would feel comfortable walking around with my hair looking all greasy. Sometimes I get so sad and angry when I think about all the cosmetics and food that are being produced that’s no good for us really.. It’s all about money, isn’t it..

• Not washing your hair with conventional products is a very interesting topic. I see alot of you talk about rinsing hair with apple cider vinegar and wheter it is raw or not. I have come across an unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar made my Braggs. It is not as strong it seems as the other ACVinegars on the market. I found it at a local whole foods market.

Satnam- my boyfriend did the no’poo too (with short hair) and it is even easier b/c you don’t have to worry about untangling a mess. You’d be surprised at how it gets thick and shiny but doesn’t look oily. It will just look like you have some product in it. Give it a try, I think it would be really easy for you. You could always use the baking soda method for awhile too while it balances out.

• Hey all! I’ve been following this board since the beginning but have not really commented until now. I’ve been shampoo-free for a few weeks now, however I am using BS/ACV because I have suuuuuuper thin hair and I’m worried that I have a few bald spots (I’m 20). It gets pretty greasy within a day and there’s just no way I can cover that up. I figured that I would try using baking soda 2x a week, then slowly move on to once a week, then hopefully water only. I’ve also been finger combing my hair alot, and its really nice as its not too harsh. I have a question about combs/brushes – what kind will be good for very fine hair?? Over at the LHC, there’s alot of mention about horn combs, boar bristle, etc. As a vegan I’d never buy such products, any alternatives?

Lucy-what kind of seaweed are you using for your hair?? I’m very interested!

odalys,

I use a plastic wide toothcomb and< even though I am a vegan, I have boar bristle brush.I had qualms about buying it but they last forever and the person said no boars died in the process. Another brush I use is a wide tooth wooden brush. It is has a very flexible base so it doesn’t pull as much. So what you can do if you don’t have a suitable boar bristle type brush is to stick with wide tooth varieties.

The thing with the boar bristle brush is because it is natural material it is able to hold oils and distribute them throughout the hair.Plus it is great for scalp massaging. If you can find a vegan version of something like that that would be great.

If I were you I would start supplementing with MSM while you are switching to no poo – it is great for hair and will make your hair stronger and help it grow in thicker. Make sure you do scalp massages with your fingers – those are key in getting the blood up to your head. :)

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

• I think this is my 4th day with no ‘poo, and not even rinsing (I usually wash my hair every third day, and I decided to give this a try yesterday I think). Today I went out to pick some top shots of Common Juniper, I don’t know if you have it in the US, but it’s plenty up here in Norway. I covered it with some water, brought it to the boil and left it off the plate for 30 minutes. Now it has been cooled off, so I’m ready to hit the shower. It is said to stimulate the blood flow, make the scalp/hair less oily, and in general just make your hair look shiny and nice. If it doesn’t work out well, I will try the baking soda/ acv thing. But the baking soda is syntetic.. I’ve seen some of you in here choosing not to use it. But I guess it’s better than the regular shampoo anyway..?

Also, my scalp is a little itchy. Anything I can do to prevent that?

This is so fun! :-D