Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

To shampoo or not to shampoo?

1151617181921»

Comments

• Going no'poo....lets see its been about 4 days out of sheer laziness, but I am now convinced and making the commitment! Only water and saltwater from now on!

• vabeachcgvabeachcg Raw Newbie

i myself used dr bronners when i first went vegan, and thought it was the best thing in the world.

then i got dreadlocks. in feb i will have had dreads for a year, and honestly, now all i do is rinse in the shower, and run a little RAW coconut oil through my scalp after its towel-dried (somehow i got lucky, and my hair doesn't attract lint from towels! :)

occasionally i will rinse with apple cider vinegar, or sprinkle a little rose water in my hair. very occasionally, though.

in fact, i don't even use lotion anymore (except for a few i have to get rid of, so i'm going to freecycle or use up for my hands), but the RAW coconut works WONDERs for my skin... keeps my skin moisturized all day long...even in winter!

(i wear wigs occasionally-- hence, the profile pic ;)

• Wow! washed my hair with only water and its the best thing ever! I put some coconut oil on it afterward (my hair's naturally on the drier side) as sort of a repair, so its currently a little greasy, but I cant wait to see what it looks like after the next wash! If everyone in the world went no'poo imagine the enviromental impact! Plus, we'd all eventually get prettier hair, too!

• About day 7 no'poo.Just washed my hair--it's a tad frizzy.

• VABeach I was wondering about your pic...I would love to see your locs

• See I heard you after a time of being raw you don't have to use deoderant. But I've been raw for 7 months and I still need deoderant! What am I doing wrong?

• I have rarely if ever shampooed my hair. I think in the last 15 years you could count on one hand how many times I've put shampoo in my hair. It always seemed to make my hair poofy and dry and I didn't really like the way it felt.

rawrealgreen: you should try Bikram yoga, after I did bikram yoga for a few months I noticed that even though I would sweat profusely in class I didn't have any body odor anymore. Maybe I was sweating out toxins during class and afterwords I wouldn't have any left.

• cuddlescuddles Raw Newbie

In the past year, I have only used shampoo & conditioner on one occasion.

Otherwise, I just wash my hair with plain water under the shower once a week, or whenever I remember.

It does not look any different from when I was washing it twice a week with shampoo.

Since going raw I have developed more grey hairs

• Yes, eating a high raw diet does eliminate alot of odor (you still may need a little alcohol once in a while). But I noticed fatty foods (avo, olives and nuts) cause a odor and possibly onion.

I use Crystal Body Deodorant http://www.thecrystal.com/

I also wrote an article for my paper and posted it on my blog about natural deodorants http://itveganatgenesis.blogspot.com/2010/01/should-you-repress-your-sweat.html

• You all need to buy some soap nuts. You boil them in water and you have a totally natural, non toxic, hypoallergenic soap and shampoo. It doesn't smell good (you can add essential oils) but your hair and skin come out really soft and clean. Soap nuts also make an amazing laundry detergent. They are very economical and I found that all soap nuts are not the same. Some work amazing and some are crappy. I found the best soap nuts at the lowest price at http://www.greenvirginproducts.com. They also sell a non toxic mineral salts deodorant stone. I will never go back to toxic products again.