Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Best Juicer?

zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I need your advice about what kind of juicer I should get.

I got the manual HealthyJuicer which is great for leafy greens and wheatgrass but is just not practical for everyday use or juicing large amounts. It takes forever to handpump enough for 1 nice sized glass.

I am thinking of either getting some kind of centrifugal one (Breville) to inspire me to juice daily OR a single gear one (Champion or Omega or something else) for quality.

What do you think?

carlahaileysajalm

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Hello Kristen!

Of course I already read your post. You may be happy to know that it came up on my search through google. Very useful. I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering since I am really leaning towards Breville.

Is there a Breville model you recommend? I was eying the Elite model, but I'm not sure that it is necessary to buy the top of the line one. What do you think?

Also,

If I want to get some amount of green juices in daily, will a Breville model suffice? I am not super picky about efficiency or waste- cleanup and just getting in more greens is important. I need my greeeens!

Thanks for your help!

And thanks so much everyone for your advice! I'm not surprised everyone likes omega, champion and samson. Those were some of the kinds I was looking at. I already have a masticating manual one though and I am looking for one that can satisfy me more in a jiffy so I use it as much as possible.

I think I am leaning towards a Breville, but if it can't do greens then there is no way.

Please let me know if you have any experience with the Breville and greens.

Thanks!

• Hi zinfadel,

I have a Champion juicer and love it. My first juicer was a Juiceman Jr and was a great introduction to the world of juicing. It was a centrifugal juicer and it juiced fruits, carrots, celery, and cucumbers just fine. I used it a few years then decided to upgrade to a Champion so that I could juice leafy greens. One of the best decisions I ever made. The Champion is a work horse and I have no hesitation recommending it.

I love green juice. Love it, love it, love it.

:)

• i have an omega and like it a ton.

the only thing it has trouble with is pineapple...but I prefer my pineapple in smoothies anyway :)

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I have had my Samson 6-in-one, eight years and it is still going stong.It even does wheat grass!

Makes nut butters,and if you use the mincing cone and just the drum cap,no nozzle you can make delicious banana icecream,I chop the frozen banana and put it through and then you can put some soft nuts through,like pecan or put some pumkin seeds through,it is nice also.

Instant ,icecream with nuts or seeds on top.Sometimes I use maple syrup for a real treat even though it is not raw.

You can also put frozen bluberries through no problem,and swirl it through the banana mix,for another treat.

It does great fruit and vegetable juices also.

Yes,I do love my Samson!

Think they have a new model now called a Compact,here in Australia anyway.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Hi :)

I wrote a blog post about my favorite juicers (Green Star and Breville) that you might find helpful: http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-favorite-juicers.html

Cheers,

Kristen Suzanne

After getting the healthyjuicer, the manual one, I realized it's just not feasible for me to actually use it regularly. It takes 30 minutes to get one measly cup of juice. Not worth it at all. Maybe if I lived on a farm and didn't have anything better to do with my time...

I'm still keeping it to do wheatgrass which I'll do big batches all at once since I am going to start growing it.

A friend gave me the Juiceman Jr and it rocks! Maybe it's less efficient than some other ones, but it is awesome for my purposes. That is- getting in fruits and veggies for optimal health and detoxing.

I was very impressed with it's ability to do greens. I couldn't really ask for more. A lot of juice come out of carrots. I was able to get a full glass of juice out of 1 carrot, 2 stalks celery, 1/2 cucumber, and 1/4 head of lettuce. Not bad at all.

I like my Juiceman Jr, and especially that it takes about 5 minutes to clean up.

Just posting this comment for the record :)

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

i have jack lalanness power juice and it works wonders,a full glass comes right out,great for spinash,kale,cabagge,etc.,it takes me 5 mts to take it apart,clean it and put it back together.I bought it at bed bath and beyond, it cost $99.99 but i got a coupon and go ti for just $85.00 is a lit expensive,but i think of it as an health investment for me and my family and you can juice there any fruit or vegetable and then,on the other hand you can eat the fiber of the fruits .i use the carrot pulp to make cakes and muffing for my kids.

I definitely concluded that quick masticating juicers are perfect for those who want to be healthy and fast. I will get a masticating juicer sometime when I have the time to put into getting pristine 100% perfect juice but I dont know when that will be...

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I have a Solostar II and I love it :)

• I do love my breville. I use it daily, make 32 oz of green juice with apples and lemon (natalia rose's green lemonaid) and clean it in a jiffy! highly recommend!

• I love my green star. Expensive but worth every penny.

• I have had a Norwalk for several years now and it is fantastic. I first read about them through the Gerson Institute. I bought mine used. All of the parts are steel, no plastic at all. It is a 2-step masticating juicer with an attached hydraulic press. I press the pulp and get all the juice out of it. So it can be used for fruit based iced creams, juices, soups...all that stuff. When I got it, I did all the research and it was the best on the market, no question. Now, there may be something better out there but I haven't heard of it. Also there is no problem with buying a used one, if you can find it, because they last for 20+ years. Their website is www.nwjcal.com

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

the breville is not bad but I have not used another type. i think kristen makes some good points in her blog. it is pretty easy to clean and does a decent job. if you want green juices, just have a lot of stalks of kale, etc on hand and/or some lettuce. that will work fine.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I've had great success juicing my greens with my Breville. I paid about $100 for it (through Amazon during the summer of 2008) and it now appears amazon is charging $200 for it. The model I have is: Breville BJE200XL Juice Fountain Compact Chrome Extractor. I've used it since the summer now for daily juicing. I've juiced the following with success: fruit, kale, swiss chard, dandelion greens, broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, cucumber, celery, carrots, beets and beet greens, etc. Parsley isn't the greatest with the Breville, so when I add that, I tend to roll it into a leaf of kale to help.

Sorry for such a late reply, I had no idea you asked me those questions. I wish you had emailed me and I would've responded to you right away. :)

Cheers,

Kristin

• Here is a great site to help you find and choose the best juicer.

http://www.877myjuicer.com/Categories/Juicers/1023.aspx

Social Juice

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I have a Green Life (predecessor to the Green Star) and I absolutely love it! I had a centrifugal juicer about a decade ago, and rarely ever used it; will never buy a centrifugal juicer again. I also have a Healthy Juicer, works wonderful but yes, lots of hand cranking!! But it travels well!!

:~)

• BackuperBackuper Raw Newbie

Personally, I use the Hurom HU-400, yet it's far from best. I'd recommend you to read Cold Press Juicer reviews to pick the best one.

• daymatalksrawdaymatalksraw Raw Newbie

I love my Hurom! My husband is partial to the Green Star. We do own a Breville as well, great for quick juice and quick clean up. Heres's some juicing tips I put together there's a list of different juicers what they are good for and price range. Hope it's helpful! :-) http://www.daymatalksraw.com/go/juicing-tips/ In Health & Peace, Dayma 

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Hi Dayma. Do you have that list in text form? I'm stuck on the video page when I click the link. 

• orlandohorlandoh Raw Newbie
    zinfandel said:

I got the manual HealthyJuicer which is great for leafy greens and wheatgrass but is just not practical for everyday use or juicing large amounts. It takes forever to handpump enough for 1 nice sized glass.

I am thinking of either getting some kind of centrifugal one (Breville) to inspire me to juice daily OR a single gear one (Champion or Omega or something else) for quality.

What do you think?

In the morning, while rushing to work I don't have time to put vegetables in a juicer. So I've found a new convenient way of making my juice, I used Organifi it's a powdered formula packed with superfoods that benefit your health. the ingredients include:
    Chlorella
    A green algae super high in protein and healthy polyunsaturated fats.

Wheatgrass
    Known as the "life-blood" of plant life. Even the ancient egyptians worshipped this food for it's positive health benefits.

Spirulina
    A good source for plant protein! Spirulina is also high in iron and calcium. The Aztecs first discovered this food in Central America, and they consumed it daily for energy and strength.

Mint
    We all know this herb as a fragrant addition to popular dishes and drinks. The Mint leaf has been used the world over for aiding in the occasional indigestion, cramps, whitening teeth, and as a sleep aid.

Turmeric
    This spice contains powerful antioxidants.

Moringa
    Contains all the essential amino acids needed by the body. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins which are needed to grow, repair and maintain cells.

Ashwagandha
    is an adaptogen which is made of (a combination of amino acids, vitamins, and herbs) that modulate your response to stress or a changing environment. Adaptogens help the body cope with external stresses such as toxins in the environment and internal stresses.

Lemon
    You may not know this, but this citrus fruit has incredible appetite fighting effects, and has been known to cool and alkalize the body. This is crucial for stabilizing your blood-sugar already within normal ranges.

Coconut Water
    This natural refreshment is high in potassium and assists in the transport of all of the above ingredients throughout the blood stream.

Beets
    Beets are high in folate and manganese. Many people don’t care for the texture of raw beets, however, the isolated juice tastes great in the mix and is a nutritious super ingredient.

Matcha Green Tea
    A common refreshment in Japanese monasteries, Matcha is high in an antioxidant called EGCG which reduces stress, regulates hormones within normal ranges, and reduces appetite.

Just put it water shake it up and drink

http://www.hypertracker.com/go/bigchiefo/Organifigreenjuice/

zinfandel said:

What do you think?

• Cynthia V.Cynthia V. Raw Jr. Leader

Hi I have the Breville juicier (did I spell that right?)...I have used it without a problem for a number of years.  The only thing I don't like about it is that i takes up a good chunk of my counter space (which is limited to start with)...So I moved it down to our basement "kitchen" (just  a sink and some cabinets.)  But that means I don't use it as much.  There doesn't seem to be a good solution.

ClaireTThe Rawtarian
  • davidwdavidw Raw Newbie

Omega J8006 Masticating  juicer is the best.

Why do you LOVE the Omega juicer?

Three simple reasons:
    1) It’s affordable
    2) It’s a slow-press masticating juicer that makes high quality juice and can easily juice wheatgrass & greens too
    3) It’s easy to clean and re-assemble

I will recommended you to buy omega juicer .Happy juicing :)  

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

I also have a Breville. Mine is a Juice Fountain. It works really well (its' the only juicer that I've ever had), but it does take up a lot of space. I keep it underneath my counter (in a cabinet). 

• tophomekitchentophomekitchen Raw Newbie

Now I'm using Breville, and I see it very good.

Harmony1
  • Captain ZoathCaptain Zoath Raw Newbie

zinfandel said:

What do you think?

the breville is fast for celery, apples etc. but you lose a lot of juice from parsley and cilantro etc. I got a omega and love it, although it does take longer to cut up stuff and juice. But it is a cold press, and the juice can be saved for up to 3 days vs a centrifuge that juices by high speed and heat.

ClaireT
  • marinay4510marinay4510 Raw Newbie

I adore my omega! However, it does not do well with soft fruit (although I do not think it's healthy to juice soft fruits on their own without greens). It does an amazing job with greens and fruit and veggies, and very easy and quick to clean too!

ClaireTTammiTrue
  • shinjirurshinjirur Raw Newbie
    Hi, i havent tried the centrifugal 
    but ive been reading about it, For me, I ve been using blender as an altrvative since I have no juicer. The taste  is good, and nutrients remais the same... there are alot of blender out there but one thing i recommend is NESCO, I check Centrige Juicer, and its whooping $200. 

zinfandel said:

What do you think?

I adore my omega! However, it does not do well with soft fruit (although I do not think it's healthy to juice soft fruits on their own without greens). It does an amazing job with greens and fruit and veggies, and very easy and quick to clean too!

• shinjirurshinjirur Raw Newbie

Hi, for me the best if a juice extactor. ive been using JUICEMAN, its an extractor with a series of blade and its easy to clean other juicer that i used.  

• oliviawoliviaw Raw Newbie
    Breville is good. But noise wise, I prefer my Simmero touch juicer bought on amazon
    ClaireT