Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Subject: Monsanto: A bill to outlaw organic farming next week?

Subject: Monsanto: A bill to outlaw organic farming next week?

US House and Senate are about (in a week and a half) to vote on bill that will OUTLAW ORGANIC FARMING (bill HR 875). There is an enormous rush to get this into law within the next 2 weeks before people realize what is happening.

Main backer and lobbyist is (guess who) Monsanto (aspartame maker) - chemical and genetic engineering giant corporation. This bill will require organic farms to use specific fertilizers and poisonous insect sprays dictated by the newly formed agency to "make sure there is no danger to the public food supply". This will include backyard gardens that grow food only for a family and not for sales.

If this passes then NO more heirloom clean seeds but only Monsanto genetically altered seeds that are now showing up with unexpected diseases in humans.

There is a video on the subject.

And another one:

The name on this outrageous food plan is Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (bill HR 875).

THIS IS REAL, FOLKS! PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL CONCERNED ON YOUR MAILING LISTS & CALL YOUR SENATE REPRESENTETIVES TODAY! Get on that phone and burn up the wires. Get anyone else you can to do the same thing. The House and Senate WILL pass this if they are not massively threatened with loss of their position.... They only fear your voice and your vote.

The best thing to do is go to

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I have been reading this exact thing everywhere for weeks, so I thought I would pass this along, from the wonderful Rose and Ronnie and everyone at the Organic Consumers Association - a trusted authority:

"This week, we received numerous calls and emails from OCA supporters who came across alarming YouTube videos and emails circulating on the internet that claimed a new food safety bill (HR 875) introduced in Congress would make "organic farming illegal."

Although the Bill certainly has its shortcomings, it is an exaggeration to say that is a secret plot by Monsanto and the USDA to destroy the nation's alternative food and farming system. In actuality, HR 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, is a limited-vision attempt by moderate Democrats and Republicans to craft food safety legislation to address the out-of-control filth and contamination that are inherent in our industrialized, now globalized, "profit-at-any-cost" food system.

This being said, OCA does not support HR 875 in its present form, given the fact that, if the Bill's regulations were applied in a one-size-fits-all manner to certified organic and farm-to-consumer operations, it could have a devastating impact on small farmers, especially raw milk producers who are already unfairly targeted by state food-safety regulators. Although the OCA deems this Bill as somewhat well-intentioned, we are calling on Congress to focus its attention on the real threats to food safety: globalized food sourcing from nations such as China where food safety is a joke and domestic industrial-scale and factory farms whose collateral damage includes pesticide and antibiotic-tainted food, mad cow disease, E.coli contamination and salmonella poisoning. And, of course, Congress and the Obama Administration need to support a massive transition to organic farming practices."

Me again: I'm glad there's a political topic that is getting people's attention, but my main objection to this fearmongering is that if people contact their representatives to express their views, and those views are ignorant of the facts of the bill, their opinions will be thrown out like garbage and we will accomplish the opposite of what we intended. I hope people take the time to research the issue instead of just reacting to a scary email or message board post.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

There are two current threads on this subject. Thought I'd cross post their links, since we have information and currnet opinions going on both right now.

http://www.goneraw.com/forum/bill-outlaw-organic-gardening-please-read

• Yes and thanks to emtpdmom for referring me to the thread that has Meditating's knowledgeable reply!!

http://www.goneraw.com/forum/congress-trying-skrew-food-supply-some-more [reply #6]

I know someone from this site will always be there to give me the real deal.

Enjoy your weekend!!

Lo~

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

I found these other links on HR 875 that I think are should be read:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/organic.asp

http://www.ftcldf.org/news/news-02mar2009.htm

If I find anymore I'll put them up.

• That's horrible, a bill like this can destroy the organic farming for ever. we must protest against this bill. i am a organic farmer and I own Greenhouses , and after reading your post I am very much worried about the future.