Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nutritional Yeast Question

kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Hey Vaughn (and anyone else in the know),

I saw this comment on a recipe:

I have read article stating that nutritional yeast is formaldehyde. If you want this article just ask.

Do you still have the link to the article? We’ve been recommended to use nutritional yeast by our naturopath and haven’t heard anything like this before. Thanks!

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Yeah read that on vegsource.com in the raw fitness section one day. Well I did some researching myself and read that nutritional yeast is a form of fungi which is grown from sugar and molasses.Red Star brand claims that their yeast is made with cane sugar and beet molasses. After fermentation has taken place then the yeast is pasteurized and dried at a high temperature. It is in no way similar to brewer’s yeast and is inactive. I’m guessing its deactivated from the high temp and pasteurizing, but thats just my guess. It is a good source of amino acids and B-12. From my personal experience, the stuff was quite addicting, and I do like to stay away from stuff that I find to be too addicting. The funny thing is when I went to go get that article again is was gone hmmm… I wonder why

Now all I have to do to is find the little piece of crap who freaked everyone out by stating that it was formaldehyde ;)
  • rae-deanrae-dean Raw Newbie

i heard it has cyanide in it.just what i heard. i love the stuff.probably not enough to hurt.

• I am not supposed to eat yeast…why do we need it?

• I have not found any valid negative information on nutritional yeast. However eating too much yeast contributes to Candida, so there must be a balance.

• I have heard that nutritional yeast the most acidic thing you can eat. So I personally won’t touch the stuff anymore. If you want B12 eat your greens, lots and lots of greens!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I heard it wasn’t raw, many raw foodists don’t regard it as raw. I get a ‘cooked food reaction’ from it whenever I eat it, so I don’t.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I was reading in Rawsome by Brigitte Mars that is isn’t considered raw because it is heated to 250 degrees.

I haven’t found any websites that tell how much the yeast is heated but I have found the processes which is below. The reason I find that nutrional yeast is considered to be more healthy is because it is dead. Unlike live yeast it won’t continue to grow, so there is no candida worries.

http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/SoY/nutritiona…

http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/SoY/images/pdf…

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Nutritional Yeast is Not Raw. It is both pasteurized and dried at a high temperatures. It is also not needed to make things taste good. Fresher is Better! Check out the “Dead Food List” on http://www.purelyraw.com for other items that are thought to be raw but are not. Don’t be fooled, research your ingredients. You are worth it!

• There is a HUGE discrepancy all over on what is raw and what isn’t. While Chris Carlton has a fantastic “Dead Food List” on his site, there are some things listed as not raw that actually can be found raw. They may not be accessible in the UK, Chris, but you can get truly raw tahini made in controlled small batches (Living Tree Community: www.livingtreecommunity.com), and you can get truly raw cashews from David Wolfe’s site (they are hand-opened instead of steamed), as well as raw olives. These things cost more, but if you really love them and want them truly raw, they can be found.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

In order to get nut butters that are raw, you have to research the manufactering company to see if they use heat in order to produce there product. Many nut butters although labeled raw have been subjected to high heat to destroy the enzymes.

Also the difference between sesame paste and tahini is tahini uses hulled sesame. Sesame paste is unhulled sesame seeds. Many companies use machines to hull the sesame seeds which is also washed and cooked to not only to decontaminate the seeds and also to make it last longer. Many nuts/seeds become rancid very quickly that is why they have to be toasted or cooked. You can check out this article. about nuts. Sesame seed storing information. Sesame seed storing issues

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Wow! Thanks for your comments RawVee. I am writing to Living Tree now to ask about their procedure. I try to remember to use words like ‘Most’, ‘Many’ and ‘Usually’ in order to avoid making absolute statements. Because of your comments, I will be editing my Dead Food List page soon. Again, Thank You. I love this Forum! Chris

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I forgot to mention that the information about the sesame seed was direct to you Rawvee. On your website they are selling sesame paste although they call it tahini. Tahini is hulled sesame seeds and unhulled is sesame paste. Unhulled sesame seed is essentially better for you. This is a good website for raw butter

• What is the difference between Brewer’s yeast and Nutritional yeast. I recently purchased some yeast that says Brewer’s Yeast then right under it says nutritional yeast. Am I being mislead? Your wisdom requested!!! Thanks!

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

Here is some infor Ashira. Brewers yeast and the other article. I had mentioned them in my earlier post. Sites I haven’t mentioned are bulk food site and Diet and health site.

• I avoid nutritional yeast and Braggs because both give me an MSG reaction, to which I am very sensitive. I am trying to weed out food stuffs that aren’t whole foods, as many food additives cause me ill health.