What are the most common nutrients that vegans 'accidentally' become deficient in?

WHat I mean is...it seems there are so many different vitamins and minerals out there that humans need...it's near impossible to keep track of what you are/aren't getting or if you are/aren't getting enough of it...HELP.

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

On raw one of the most basic is iodine most miss that out, good sources are seaweeds and strawberries.

But seaweeds are the way forward, rich in minerals not only iodine, prebiotic fibre, anti cancer compounds, alginates which bind to metal/toxins, immune boost and more.

• ok thank you! I love seaweed and try to incorporate it into my diet somehow every day. I love dulse and nori.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

vitamin b12, vitamin d, calcium.

this isn't what i'd call common and is limited to those that may not care for their health/may not get enough calories/exposure to sun. you said "vegans." veganism is a lifestyle choice based on ethics and not limited to diet. i know many vegans who are obese and otherwise don't care about their health.

• I think that often people care about their health but aren't quite sure how to go about being healthy...you told me that one should get nutrients from food, not a pill. Please tell me some foods that will provide me with vitamin b12 (other than seaweed) and calcium.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

b12 is a bacteria, so it's ok to take it by pill form.

It is also found in animal products.

If you are vegan , it is highly recommended to take b12. In large doses it will not hurt you. I take 1000 IU eat day.

Calcium is in a lot of foods but concentrated in green leafy vegetables. I usually get 120%+ of my RDA of calcium easily (get enough calories, of course, and eat your greens).

B12 is made from bacteria, as rawcanadian said, so this is one that is supplemented for everyone (in animal feeds) or if you eat dirt, you will get it. It's also best taken sublingually for everyone, not just vegans, so that is one that is good to take in pill form. :)

Seaweeds have B12 analogues and will compete with real B12, best not to eat seaweeds or at least not eat them in close proximal time to when you take your B12.

• ok, thank you! is it necessary to take it in pill form though? I've heard from some that B12 is not that big of a deal for most people...is this true? what if I only eat seaweed and take no supplement?

Then you'll probably be B12 deficient in 5 years or so.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Sublingual is good. Shots are what I take. FWIW I was deficient before becoming vegan because of various digestive issues. Many non-vegans are deficient in B12 digestive issues or not - it's really a commentary on the quality of food these days. The soil is vastly depleted and animals are fed gawd-awful things, so supplementing is something I believe in and would recommend it to my more carnivorous friends as well. Not to mention the lack of nutrition in our convenient, highly-processed, fast foods. If the planet was in a less run down state, then I suppose we wouldn't have to supplement at all. It's not a ding on the diet, but rather how we've managed the soil/pollutants.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

It would def be wise to take a sublingual b12 supplement kim or you'll go deficient, there are no viable plant sources of b12.