Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

New and help requested Please!

Hi Everyone!

Comments

• Are you sure that you need loose weight?

• I’m 4’-10” tall, and weigh 230 pounds…what do you think?

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Hmmm. I think it’s possible that you’re not eating enough, but it’s also possible that you’re someone who doesn’t do well on high sweet fruit. But you mention that you feel great, which is puzzling. Most people who don’t do well on high fruit experience “crashes” after their blood sugar spikes and retreats.

You might try switching to all whole fruits for a while, instead of blending them (blending makes the sugars more rapidly accessible, which can create an insulin response and stall weight loss). You could also try limiting sweet fruits like bananas, dates, mangoes, and pineapple and focusing instead on fruits like grapefruit, apples, pears, and lemons/limes.

I would also maybe think about adding just a bit more fat. Something like 1/2 avocado a day, perhaps? I actually do best on lower fat, but I do know some people really thrive (and lose more weight) on moderate fat/low fruit. Green juices can be really helpful for detoxing/cleansing, too (which, in turn, aids weight loss). Starting with a base of cucumber, ginger, and lemon will make even the heartiest of greens pleasantly mild to drink.

Glad you are feeling so great, though!

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

God put the fruit on the planet because it is good for you.

I started off at 135lbs, had lots of disgusting cellulite from the dairy and chemicals I was eating, had strange gas, dull hair, lackluster skin, etc.

I am still 135 lbs but most of the bad stuff has gone away. I went from a size 6/8 to a now 4 (I’m a little tall).

The raw diet balances your body. You don’t have to worry about what you weigh. If there is weight that you need to lose, it’ll come off in due time if you are eating healthy and moving a little.

I eat plenty of fruits. I don’t view them as bads.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Are you exercising?

• I began an intense, 2 times per week boot-camp based exercise class last week. I will also be adding back 30 minutes on the elliptical each morning (5:30 am…UGHHH) once my muscles recover from ‘boot-camp’

I’ve begun a food diary as well. If things don’t change I think I might need to go to my doctor and get a referral to an endocrinologist…this just seems wierd!

• I struggle too…you aren’t alone! Eat more. Your metabolism is too slow and more food will actually speed it up. Hope this helps :)))

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

You mention that you have a juicer. How about substituting the fruit smoothie with a green juice (cucumbers, carrots, kale, sprouts, etc) for breakfast instead? Or, add greens to that breakfast fruit smoothie?

Or, another thought – if you really want fruit in the morning, try to mono eat. This means, just eat one type of fruit. Perhaps just eat 2 apples or 2 pears, etc. I think this will help cut down on the calories.

(also, you might want to try to omit the honey and use it only occasionally, instead of every morning. it will continue to fuel your sweet tooth)

• Thanks to Everyone!

I will switch to a veggie juice instead of fruit in the am (has anyone ever used frozen veggies to create a frozen green smoothie?), and concentrate my efforts on vegies rather than fruit, and see how that goes.

Before I discovered the frozen fruit smoothie in the am, I was juicing greens (spinach or lettuce/cucumber or celery) with apples in the morning, but the clean up for the juicer was delaying my mad dash out the door…guess I’ll have to get up at 5:15 instead of 5:30! ;-)

• Welcome!

Juicing frozen veggies isn’t a good idea. Not only are most vegetables blanched (steamed = cooked) before they’re frozen, they just won’t taste as good (or have as many nutrients) as fresh.

Also, the weight fluctuation could have to do with water—you mentioned that you just started a boot camp type workout…also, if you’re consuming a lot of salt in your salads, that could cause some retention.

Most importantly, even though the raw diet is GREAT for detoxification (a big reason people lose weight), people are also losing due to the overall calories in/calories out relationship. You could try using an online calorie tracker to make sure you aren’t going over your recommended daily total intake—fruit (especially blended) adds up VERY quickly.

Also, be sure you’re not over-estimating the numbers of calories burned during your workouts. Lots of the counters on treadmills/ellipticals, as well as the numbers trainers in gyms will give you, are exaggerated.

I second the “add some fat to your diet” recommendation. It will fill you up, and as a bonus the lipase (an enzyme in raw oils, avocados, nuts & seeds) literally melt the fat off of you. When I first went raw I was working out a lot and including an avocado every day, and lost lots of weight from week to week.

Sorry for the lengthly post, haha. Best of luck to you!

Alison
    www.kalequeen.com

• Tinkerbelly, I think you can get some help from questions to ask your body? How are you feeling in general? Do you feel tired and/or hungry? If you’re not feeling satisfied or energetic than it’s probably right that you don’t have enough calories. Your body will definitely go into ‘starvation mode’ and try and store fat instead of shedding. That can also happen even if it’s the right amount of calories but you change your diet drastically ie. from 2500 calories a day to 1500 calories a day. Another big factor to a healthy metabolism is WHEN you’re eating what you’re eating. If you’re not already doing this, spread your meals out over the day but try to avoid eating past a reasonable dinner time (7pm or at least 3 hours before bed). Natalia Rose’s book ‘Raw Food Life Force Energy’ is a great one to read if you want to better understand some of the basic digestive principles that make raw eating so wonderful including fast exit, food combining, and warming up to heavier foods in the morning.

Hope some/all of that helps! Let us know how things go! :)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Hi, Tinkerbelly. I would give your body more time to adjust, seriously. I, too, am very heavy, and the first month I ate raw, I lost nothing. The second month, only 2 pounds. After that, I lost about 2 pounds per week, which is much more! But you see it took two months for my body to get cracking.

There are several things that are probably tht weight. YOu couldn’t have gained fat, because you simply have not eaten enough calories. Okay? So it’s either water and/or the weight of the bulk of off the foods OR you are building muscles(which weight a lot!) I’m thinking it is a combination of all. I know sometimes people say oh you don’t need to count calories and then talk about how they eat nuts and fats all day, but you really do need to be careful of them.

Instead of using the scales for a while, why dont’ you rely on using a tape measure and also check your skin for water-gain. (PUshing your finger into your skin and looking for the flush)

(ooh, sorry about the horrid spelling mistakes!)