Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Converting standard recipes to raw recipes

I’ve seen a lot of blogs and posts about people converting standard recipes to raw recipes. Does anyone have a resource that does this? Or does it just take lots of time being raw and learning by experimentation? Thanks!

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I would be interested in this. I usually just try different things. But there is this vegan loaf I absolutely enjoy, that I am wondering how to make it raw. I haven’t tried… but I’ll be working on it sometime.

I think a chef familiar with the effects of food would be good to ask… and not just raw chef, cooking chef too.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

I’d think alot of it would have to do with substitutions, and trial-and-error…
    For example, instead of sugar use dates (honey, agave, molasses non-raw)
    almond pulp/flour (you made) for flour… or even use sprouted wheat flour (soak and sprout wheat berries, then grind in a coffee grinder when dry!)
    Um… use veggie slices for noodles and such…
    avocado for oil or fat..
    stuff like that.

BUT I would be very interested in learning more too!

• Well I think you would need to consult a someone that cooks and understand the mechanics of how things work. So you can take the same concept and convert to a raw effect. Think baking powder in cookies and cakes, it’s and acid and an alkaline in powdered form. Moisten that and we got bubbles. So to apply the same idea, you need an alkaline substance and an acid mixed to get bubbles :). Like in science class you added vinegar to baking soda.

• ShannonM- Def down with the Piccata. You should post that for handy reference.

• I agree for things that would normally be cooked you can always fly by the seat of your pants and have fun. I was more concerned about things normally baked. Since baking is more of a science were cooking is more of an art of love. So I would think we are both right :).

• Good I’m glad we agree. Anyone know a raw baker? Who has a clue as to what does what, huh huh?

• I don’t know a raw baker personally but there is a website http://www.rawbakery.com/ that is a rae bakery. Maybe you could go to their site and contact them if you have questions for things of that nature…?