Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

infrared sauna vs traditional sauna

newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I’m interested in possibly purchasing a sauna for detox and overall wellness. Does anyone have any thoughts on infrared vs traditional saunas? Thanks

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

anyone?

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Well I don’t have any details for you but I have always heard that the infrared ones are the good ones! Wish I could tell you why, but I really can’t remember, sorry!

• Infrared saunas are much better, because they are working on a lower temperature that’s why it is not such a strain for your body and more pleasant too.
    In the infrared one the body loses more fat and burns more calories, because the infra rays get into deeper layers of the skin where the body fats are stored.
    (compared to the traditional sauna where the body loses just water.)

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hi newbie, I have an infrared sauna and used it this morning. Being a windy wet and cold day, it was fantastic to feel the suns energy penetrating my body right through. It is a great aid to decongesting the liver and generally healing for almost anything. I recommend it.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Hi Newbie,
    I have an infrared sauna too. It was my 4oth bday present. And I absolutely love it. Its great for detox, circulation, meditation, relaxation. You name it. It was def an investment but I don’t regret it for a moment. I researched a bunch before I bought and ultimately purchased from a vendor through the Home Depot online. They were running a great special. So bide your time and hold out for a deal if you decide to go for it!

Thanks for all of your input! My 40th is fast approaching too ;-) With infrared, do you have to worry about damage to your eyes or skin?

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Not that I am aware of. Its really safe. You sweat but you don’t overheat or feel uncomfortable. In a traditional sauna the heat can feel so heavy that you feel like you can’t take in enough oxygen. Not the case with infrared. Breathing is smooth and easy. It takes longer to work up a sweat in my experience. Perhaps that is because the heat is pulling from deeper layers of the skin?

( LOL !) I also love my sauna ‘cause my kids know not to come near me unless one of them is missing a limb and there is copius amounts of blood that can’t be staunched with a kitchen towel! )

Thanks again for your input. I’ll have to begin keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal. I can’t wait!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

When I was at the mission, we had to get into the sauna just about every day to do hot-cold “showers”. We did the hot-cold “shower” 2 or 3 times… and always ended with cold. This is supposed to tighten your skin! :o)

was it 2 or 3 times per day or over the course of your stay? did you experience any results that you can attribute to the sauna? was it a traditional sauna or infrared? in my research, I’m finding that you have to be careful of the type of wood and glue that is used because it can emit toxic gasses when heated. if it’s not one thing, it’s another…

Once a day we went to the sauna… we got in the sauna until we were hot enough. When I got out, I took a cold shower and then got back into the sauna to warm up again… then, when I got hot, I got out and had another cold shower. I would end there, or go back in for a final hot-cold cycle. And that was it for the day. I did this once a day for ~9 days. It was a traditional sauna. It was made of cedar – therapeutic/medicinal. Hmmm, I journaled my experience and I can’t remember what they said about the benefits of cedar. Where I went, I felt perfectly safe in the sauna inhaling the steam… it was a in mission, nestled in the Birkshire Mountains near Savoy, MA. Not much out there except snow, bears, and negative ions! :o)

The sauna allows you to breathe deeply and get toxins out… I coughed a few times during the cold water shower.

And, I think it increases white blood cell count… does that make sense? I wrote it in my notes, but I may have miss wrote it. Whichever is beneficial decrease or increase of white blood cells.

• Smonda has its own design team, and has independent intellectual property rights from design to development. We are committed to producing high-end and comfortable home health sauna products.

• Traditional and infrared saunas are accompanied by their unique features. Their differences are Heat, Humidity, Power consumption, Operation, and maintenance. I found a article about Infrared vs Traditional Sauna. I recommend reading the whole article though. Thanks