Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

80/10/10

sorry- i’m a noob to the raw lifestyle- i’m nearing the end to my first week being about 80-90% raw, i’ve been a bit tired, haven’t lost as much weight as i hoped i would and am starting to get grumpy. i’m hoping all three are parts of detoxing. I has a really bad diet before this- mostly convinience foods with a lot of preservatives, toxins and sodium, so i feel like i have a lotto detox.

anyways- to the topic titled- what is 80/10/10? I’ve read it a coupld of times and would like to know- i see it refrenced to weight loss.

an no, i’m not going raw solely for weight loss, don’t worry- although i have a lot to lose as i am technically obese at 208lbs and only 5’5”. I need emotional and mental stability, and to heal my relationship with food. so far I feel as if it is making a difference with the latter.

any tips? on anything?

so far this site has been uber helpful, so thanks.

Comments

• 80/10/10 is a raw diet designed by Dr. Douglas Graham that is 80% carbs, 10% protein, and 10% fat. Basically, you eat mostly fruit, with a large salad at the end of the day and you keep nuts, seeds, and avocados to a minimum.

More info can be found on his site: http://foodnsport.com/joomla/

And here’s a link to his book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/80-10-Diet/dp/1893831248/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205542230&sr=8-1

• Personally I LOVE Dr. Grahams book!! It makes absolute perfect sense to me. I haven’t gotten there yet, but that’s my ultimate goal & I work on it every day. I’m definitely not one of those people who realize the immense benefits of raw foods and switches immediately. I wish I were.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Not for me. If I keep fats to a minimum I am starving all the time! If i don’t add maca to my green smoothies (for protien) the same thing. Starving!!

I don’t eat 80/10/10, it’s not what works for me. I have been high raw for a few months now and feel great! For the last 5 days, 100% raw, and I feel even better!! So, we are all different, we all need different foods!

• I just finished the book a couple days ago. I absolutely love what he has to say – it makes SO MUCH sense. It’s very hard to explain it to someone (I’ve tried a couple times to far) because it goes against a lot of ingrained beliefs about eating raw and it seems counterintuitive to many, but if you read it, he explains it so well.

As Luna said, it’s easy to feel starving if you don’t eat a lot of fats, but that’s because you have to REALLY increase your intake of fruits to make up the calories you’re not getting from fat. The first day I did it I was only able to eat 1400 calories (normal for me is 2000-2400 per day). You have to force yourself to eat until your stomach expands a bit (took me about 3 days). It is truly a different way of eating. Thinking of fruit as a meal instead of as a snack is hard at first.

I highly recommend it. Even if you decide not to follow what he says, it is VERY informative and it gives you that much more knowledge for making informed choices about what to eat.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I read that book a few months ago and i thought it was informative and food for thought, but I LOVE savory foods and dressings and recipes in general so I attribute that book to a very rebellious cooked food binge! I was doing great and I felt like that book ruined my “rawness”. I’ve recovered and have gone back to where my raw is happiest—just raw. I can’t just eat fruit. It’s too boring. There’s a great website—Steve Pavlina??? he did the 80-10-10 for 30 days. You can follow his journey online. I’m sure it’s www.stevepavlina.com.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I tried the 80/10/10 diet for 30 days and I was unsuccessful in eating enough calories as well. I would have been either gobbling the food to get it all in during a reasonable amount of time or I would have been eating all day. I didn’t feel that either was good for digestion. I’m going to try it again as it does make sense, but I’m going to be less concerned with the calories this time. I don’t eat much now. I like the Natural Hygiene approach to good health, with a gourmet dish thrown in occasionally. The concept of few ingredients per meal appeals to me. I can see the benefits of nuts and seeds too.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

If you are savvy enough, you can make anything make sense! Don’t like this 80/10/10 concept! Sorry! Too much fruit = too mush sugars! Not for me!! I work out like a fiend, I am body building again, fats give you power and strenth. I am not saying I gorge on fats, I just make sure to include them and will never rid my diet of them.So there! ;)

Wow, I never realized how stongly I felt about things like my darlng avos.!