Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

is this nut intolerance?

Dear all

Was just wondering if anyone could make sense of something weird that has happened to me a few times now…

I ate some lunch today, which was a couple of bananas, some blueberries and then a handful of almonds. Straight after finishing, I started to feel that my face was getting very warm and also I got a kind of “prickly” sensation. I suppose a bit like sunburn where you can feel your skin giving off heat and throbbing a bit. Looked in the mirror and my face was very red and blotchy. this lasted maybe 15 mins then seemed to go again.

This is the third time now I have had this kind of reaction. The other two were worse, in that I became VERY hot and was red and blotchy not just on my face, but also round my elbows, round my knees and round my armpits.

The first time it happened I had just eaten a bowl of muesli (before raw ha ha) rice flakes, soya milk and mixed nuts and dried fruit. I thought the soya milk must have been off. Then the second time it was coconut which set it off, again I just thought the coconut must have been off.

Now I’m wondering – is it nuts?

I eat nuts every day but I have only had this reaction several times.

BUT I have also noticed that once I start on the nuts, I have a REALLY hard time stopping and I get bad sugar cravings once I have finished with them…am sure I remember reading somewhere that if you have an intolerance to something you just want more and more of it.

Any ideas?

Don’t want to have problems with nuts because I like them! And they have lots of nutrients!

Thank you!

Claire

Comments

• Do you have latex allergy?I’m guessing it is the banana.It has some of the same properties.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Does this happen when you have fruit by itself? Are your nuts soaked? My husband has a similar problem with raw unsoaked alomonds, but tolerates them soaked. try also having your nuts with your greens instead of your fruit. Have the fruit by itself in the am.

• yes, unsoaked nuts have enzyme inhibitors that could cause that type of reaction, particularly almonds and walnuts. cashews & macadamia nuts not as much, and other nuts are in the middle.

• Thanks for the useful responses :)

Izhpt I don’t soak my nuts…could try that in the future. Have never had a reaction with fruit by itself, so I guess I will take your advice and stick to fruit only.

All4Raw I don’t think the banana was the culprit as I eat tonnes of them!!! Don’t think I have a latex allergy, although I suspect I have a wheat and sugar intolerance judging by the way my nose streams afterwards.

mandelicious That’s interesting about the different types of nuts…wow

thank you…I will be avoiding nuts for the moment, I guess :(