Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Miso?

My mom got some miso and we have no idea what to use it for or how. Can I use it for soup? (I’m thinking the answer is yes but I’m not sure)

Comments

• I make miso soup and then add chopped shitake mushrooms, shredded cabbage, minced ginger, spring onions and hemp seeds. Makes a good and hearty soup with the hemp seeds added. You can add any vegetables you like.

• How do you make the soup, just put it in warm water? Thanks.

• Yes, Just add a Tablespoon or so to a cup of warm water. You can make it as strong or as weak as you like.

• Thanks!! does it matter what color it is, or is it stronger when its darker?

• Color doesn’t matter. I think darker would probably be stronger. Miso can be made from various things. Usually soybeans, but can also be made from chick peas, adzuki beans and probably other beans as well. So, this would make the color vary depending on what it is made from. You can by it as a paste and also as a dry powder. I’ve been using the powder lately. It says it’s raw on the package. I think it’s freeze dried. So I don’t know for sure if it’s truly raw.

• Well we have dark red miso, and its made out of soybeans. What we have is a paste and I don’t think its raw. Tomorrow I’ll try some! Thanks!!

• I have an unpasteurized black bean miso, though it’s still not fully raw, I thin it out to a workable paste and put it on my nori rolls. It gives a really nice flavor and compliments the avocado well. yum.

• Try the bean filling for Sarma’s Soft Tacos. The miso gives it a nice meaty flavor that will satisfy both raw and non-raw people alike.

http://gliving.tv/greenchefs/recipes/sarmas-sof…

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Miso is not a raw food; it’s made from cooked soy.

• Yes, Debbietook, that was mentioned above. Some folks aren’t quite 100% Raw yet. :)

(I checked out your website by the way, it’s very well done!)

• I use miso in my garlic miso salad dressing, under my recipes :) Puts a kick in your salad.

• Thanks everyone for the replies!! I think I’m going to try miso soup today, then maybe try some of the other suggestions! Thanks!!!

• i use miso in mu sushi recipe… it’s a little more gourmet than my daily meals, but it’s fun, and really not that hard to make. check it out on my profile page.

i consider unpasteurized miso a raw food because it has living cultures. it is therefore a living food, and to me, that is a raw food. it is up to each individual to decide whether or not that works for them.