Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What is your staple food after going raw?

Hi,

I am new here. I just took on vegan eating for a month and I feel great. I recently discover raw diet and really want to try it.

I am wondering for you guys doing majority raw, what is your staple food?

Currently, my staple food is cooked sprouted brown rice. I eat that at lunch and dinner with raw or cooked vegetables. I do eat what I consider a large amount of vegetables, but I always eat some brown rice to ground me. Without it, I don’t feel full enough. We are dealing with underweight issue here.

If I go raw, the brown rice has to go. I’ve read some books about raw food and this forum. It seems to me a lot of people on raw rely on either lots of (sweet) fruit or fatty food(avocado, nuts, seed) for main calories sources. So I am hesitate, is lots of nuts, seeds, avocado more healthier than my cooked brown rice?

Thanks.

Jijie

Comments

• eat lots of greeeeeens!

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

bananas

seeds / nuts (whole/ground in smoothies/chopped on salads)

greens

and though havent gotten deep into it yet i see sprouting as very important in raw , for both nutrition and for keeping cost down . oh and also to have fresh plants during the non growing winter season .

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

fresh juices and smoothies

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Rice, brown or not is a “dead” food… Void of nutrients, enzymes and no antioxidants… Does that answer you last question on which is healthier??? The seeds and nuts will help with the hunger as well as the low weight issue… My stable foods are spinach, sunflower seeds and hemp powder and seeds… Hope your new journey is a happy one!!!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

My staples are lots of salads with baby greens, and yummy homemade dressings… and sunflower seeds, avocados, bananas, pears, and apples…etc.

also, mandelicious—sweet new picture!!

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Loads of bananas, collards, avocados, bell peppers, seaweeds, cacao, blueberries, celery, oranges, grapefruit, and the occasional kombucha for B-12.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

i second what human animal eats and add, dates and hemp seeds ad sprouts!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

try it and you will get a “flavor” for the difference between “healthy” cooked food and raw. keeping a good balance of greens, fruits, and fats is important, but just eating ALL RAW for 2 weeks and you’ll FEEL the difference. it’s beyond the describable.

making sure that you are eating a truck load of greens with balance your body and ensure you don’t overeat fruit or fats… but they are good for you!

my staples: -hardy greens such as kale, dandelion, chard… -lettuce -fennel -bell peppers -tomatoes -bananas -apples -sunflower seeds -sesame seeds -avocados!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

my staples are Kale and Spinach, followed by tomatoes and lastly avocado. And now sprouts have sneaked in there too actually and become a staple too.

And for drinks I love cucumber and celery juice.

If you are underweight then embrace the avocado and other raw fats ;) It is fine as long as you balance it with greens.

• Kale, spinach and apples. Also sprouted wild rice, cucumbers and bananas. Eating more greens (blending them right now because I have digestion problems) made all the difference in the world.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

My staples are: green smoothies (water, strawberries, banana, green – spinach or kale or parsley or dandelion greens or collard greens or dill etc) salad with tahini dressing (lunch) or fruit buckwheat crust with tomato/spinach topping or some other dinner, like soaked oats with fruit, or raw vegan sushi.

just because a lot of recipes on goneraw have nuts/seeds in them, it doesn’t mean that all raw foodists consume a large quantity of nuts and seeds. I agree with waterbaby – rice is dead food, so your body has to produce extra enzymes to digest the rice – enjoy the living foods instead, and you’ll see results. It’s hard to believe it until you try a couple weeks or a month 100% raw.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I have so many staple foods: Green smoothies (greens, tomatoes, lime, hemp protein powder, olive oil, etc), avocado, young coconut, almonds, hemp seed, low to medium glycemic fruits, raw cacao.

I believe raw fats to be healthier than cooked grains. You might see if your body like seeds more than nuts, since seeds are a lighter food.

If you’re underweight, and you’re having trouble absorbing raw food, you might want to keep on eating a small amount of cooked food. I like cooked whole grains like quinoa, millet, buckwheat and amaranth, but I think brown rice is fine. I like cooked beans and manna bread as well. You also might consider some detoxing down the road. Good luck! :)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Kale, spinach, romaine, avocado, pineapple, kiwi, apples!

• carrots, spinach, parsley, garlic, apples, oranges, lemons, sprouted buckwheat, avocadoes, sesame seeds, flaxseeds, olive oil, jijiewang, it is possible to gain weight on a raw diet, I was underweight too! Avocadoes, nuts and sprouted grains, lentils and mung beans help alot. Living foods are MUCH more easier to absorb!

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I guess for me I had some trouble absorbing raw food because of my toxic load. Like flybaby says, you can gain weight on a raw diet. I guess you can just see what works for you. I’ve heard some people need to increase their caloric intake on a raw diet, at least at first. Please keep us updated on your raw journey! :)

• Lots of greens (especially spinach), lots of fruits (especially bananas), some seeds and nuts, a bit of oil and vinegar for the salads, dates, figs and yacon syrup for sweet. Occasionally a raw snack bar from the health food store but they’re expensive. Lots of water with lemon juice.

• Thanks for all this info =]