Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sprouting?

A lot of recipes from this site call for sprouted nuts or seeds. Can someone tell me the process to do this?

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

www.sproutpeople.com is a great site for all your sprouting needs, times, etc. I have two of their sprouters and they are always in use. Mostly now, i sprout short-term stuff, like sunflower seeds,and pumpkin seeds.

• Do I have to have a sprouter to do this?

• All you need to sprout any seed or grain is a mason jar, an elastic and a piece of cheesecloth. Soak your seeds overnight in water. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Tip the jar at a 45 degree angle to drain. Rinse 1 or 2 times a day until you have sprouts. Easy, nutritious and very yummy.

• Those are a lot easier directions to follow thanks!

• You could also check out the Biogerme sprouter kit (“germe” french for sprout) It is a large container and includes interchangable screens of different sizes depending on seed or bean used. Its available on ebay.

• jsorensens2jsorensens2 Raw Jr. Superstar

A jar is fine, but I really like the sprouter that www.sproutpeople.com sell. It’s so easy and self draining (once you shake the bulk of the water out) so no need to find a spot to prop your jar at a 45 degree angle for draining (and possibly falling over and breaking). It’s worth it the 13 bucks or whatever it is, if you ask me. I bought their starter kit, with a large variety of sprouts, and have had tremendous, easy success every week as I try the next variety. I have sprouted my lentils and buckwheat groats in a bowl, covered with cheesecloth and just inverted over a baking rack to drain and this works very well too.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Unfortuntely I tried the simpler approach with little success. With my crazy work schedule it’s too easy to forget to tend to the sprouts. So I’ve recently invested in an automated sprouter system. Pricey but considering the cost of store sprouts, not to mention the questionable quality, this system should pay for itself in short order!

• I have 4 or 5 jars on the go at any given time. I just rinse the sprouts 1st thing in the morning, after school when the kids get home and at bedtime. Works great for me and I recycled several jars in the process. Good luck, it’s worth the effort.

• Buy the Easy Sprouter I think this is the one Jsor is talking about. I have done jars,saks and the Easy Sprouter is by far the best.

• Thanks everybody!

• Has anyone tried the Sproutman’s automatic sprouter? Good results?