Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

iron sources in raw (vegan) food

bittbitt Raw Newbie

I got diagnosed with low iron levels. My blood was taken not long after going raw but they want me to try to get dietary iron because I am taking so many other pills and supplements for my re-activated mono and back pain.

Anyhow, the list they gave me for iron sources for veggie food was pretty small let alone raw. So if you could point me to some raw sources or websites to find that it would be great.

the naturopath also tried to talk me into eating cooked food. of course. she is a big believer in Chinese medicine and they are not really into vegan food either. no surprise there. but I am interested in having more miso soup and want to know how to make it so it is still raw.

thanks.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Spinach and Kale are my first to reach for every day for lunch and dinner… I was diagnosed anemic and “cured” it with my greens!!! Wish I could be of more help, sure there is somone here more knowledgable …. Good Luck!!!

• seaweed,,sprirulina,e-3 live…..kale,spinach,collard

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Dried or fresh wild nettles are best. They have 3X the iron as spinach and it’s non-heme iron, which means it’s more absorbable. You can probably find the dried stuff in health food stores. Also, try taking it with a source of vit C, like camu camu berries.

• one thing you can do is increase your vitamin C. take a vitamin C or eat foods with vitamin C when you are eating things with iron in it. vitamin C helps you absorb iron better. i’ve known people who have taken crazy amounts of iron but still were anemic until they started taking vitamin C and eating more foods with vitamin C. good luck

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have been having an orange or lemon in with my smoothie and greens. Anyone know the latest on if iron can be absorbed through raw greens? The info my naturopath gave me was only for cooked greens. But it did say raw brocolli has more iron than cooked. So this must be true for other veggies, right?

• one would think.. i saw raw wheat germ today and it looked like it was high in iron.. forgot how much of course.. dont know if you would do raw wheat germ.. maybe in a smoothie..

• raw wheat germ is very delicious! (At least I love it) I like it in itself as well soaked in some cold water (just enough for the wheat germ to absorb). I like adding cinnamon and sometimes ginger too to it

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

spirulina, and strawberries have got iron in them too.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i would love a comprehensive list with milligrams. the lists for vegetarian sources seems to be primarily cooked foods.

i have been taking spirulina. I don’t have a wheatgrass juicer but i can get it at my health food store. i have about 2 cups of greens in my smoothies with citrus to help absorb it.

• Cherries and pepitas (ram pumpkin seeds) are also good sources of iron.

http://www.fountainofjuice.com

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

a fruit vendor told me of a chinese plum that is the highest in iron of all fruits. i will have to head to the international district this weekend to check it out.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I found another great raw food with lots of iron: BUCKWHEAT! it’s cheap and doesn’t take to long to soak/dehydrate or sprout. i had some as a cereal just now.

• Sesame Seeds are a good one too, and Raw Tahini Butter is great in fruit smoothies!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

www.nutritiondata.com has a place to search for foods highest in a certain nutrient.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have tahini everyday! 1 teaspoon with 1 teaspoon cider vinegar on salads. yum.

i love nutritiondata.com it’s a great resource for us health nuts.

• RAW CACAO! im surprised no one has said that. the cacao i eat (sunfood brand) has 314% iron per ounce. plus its delicious! and also spinach is high in iron

• Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but raw hemp seeds have 10% iron per tablespoon.