Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

mascara

Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I am looking for a healthier alternative to Mascara, it is the only make up I use I have stopped everything else and I am trying to get rid of all chemicals.But with my Blonde eyelashes I can’t bring myself to go out without it.Maybe I should stop being so self concious and just do it. any suggestions you have would be GREATLY appreciated. I have switched from baby oil, yuck, to olive oil to remove it.I never realized it was from petroleum, I just really never thought about where it came from before. and now I am just horrified at how much they put oil in everything.

shirleycEmily Sophiet

Comments

• beepsandclicksbeepsandclicks Raw Newbie

I can’t offer a suggestion directly, as I don’t wear makeup. BUT have you tried this site? http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?noth…

I was amazed by the high (bad) scores on many of the so-called “safe” products they sell at my local health food joint. It IS amazing how they fit so much crap into all those tiny containers! :-)

You can at the very least find the “least bad” option and one not tested on animals, which I’m guessing must be a nasty, common thing with eye products? Hope this helps.

shirleyc
  • Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

OMG that is horrible! I guess I will seriously try to get get over the fear of going out without it. I never knew it was that bad. I wonder if it has any bearing on why my eyesight is so bad thanks for the post!

• I use Gabriel Color black/brown. I’ve used Dr. Hauschka before too. (I feel like the Gabriel mascara stays on better but Dr. Hauschka is very gentle). My Whole Foods carries both.

http://www.drhauschka.com/holistic-products/det…

http://www.gabrielcosmeticsinc.com/index.cfm?fu…

Mascara is the one makeup item I wear too. Got me some blonde eyelashes as well that I like to accentuate.

Baby shampoo is also good for getting off mascara. I use one with all natural ingredients.

• I wear Dr Hauschka maskara too, very good quality product, I really like it. The most nautral thing to use to remove make up is coconut oil, plus the smells lovely!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

The most natural one would have been Burts Bees Wings of Love but I think they discontinued it.

There really is no such thing as a “natural mascara”. You need chemical to make them to get the lengthening effect.

Have you considered just using coconut oil or something to define your lashes?

NO Miss vegan brand has a natural mascara – of course, there are still chemicals in it but at least they are towards the bottom of the ingredients list instead of the top.

Vegan Essentials sells it. It hard to link to their products so I don’t know if the link below will work right but their website is www.veganessentials.com

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/de…

• LauroliLauroli Raw Newbie

Hi. I use Miessence mascara. It is completely pure and the best mascara I’ve EVER used. It is a bit pricey but it lasts forever. I’ve been using mine for months now. Here’s the link: http://miessence.com/en/product/14401

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

doombot – hey, that one doesn’t look too bad at all! Alot of the stuff that claims to be totally pure and natural now only has a few natural ingredients. I was surprise when I looked at the ingredients. Too bad it isn’t vegan but that makes sense that the beeswax would work to do some lengthening. Jojoba oil is the best oil to use on your hair (or lashes) because it works well with the sebum (oil) extracted near the hairs. Thanks for posting that one. I haven’t worn mascara in years – since Burts Bees – so I didn’t find that one.

Dr. Hauschka is a brand I don’t really approve of. They advertise themselves as being natural but many of their products have chemicals in them. It really pays to read the labels if you are concerned about what you are putting on you. It kind of saddens me to walk through the Whole Foods Beauty section because I think they could be caring so much better and purer products!

Here are the ingredients in the Dr. Hauschka mascara if anyone is interested:

Ingredients Aqua, Alcohol, Sorbitol, Ricinus Communis, Cetearyl Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis, Melia Azadirachta, Hectorite, Euphrasia Officinalis, Buxus Chinensis, Cera Flava, Rosa Gallica, Rosa Damascena, Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool*, Xanthan Gum, Lecithin, CI 77499, CI 77891, CI 77007.

One of the top ingredients is Alcohol and they are two kinds of alcohol in there! I personally wouldn’t wear anything that has a number ingredient in it – I will say I have no idea what those number ingredients are but it can’t be good. It is like Red No 5 or Blue Lake No whatever is your food. Kinda scarey. But even if those number ingredients were natural I would never wear just just for the alcohol alone. That will dry out your lashes and definately a risk at eye irritation!

The Gabriel Cosmetics didn’t look too bad. Definatley better than the Dr. Hauschka brand because of the few ingredients. The questionable ingredient would be the ultramarines. They can be natural (it s blue pigement for color) or they could be synthetic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarine

They would need to be more explainatory about what those are in the mascara exactly. Most mascara contain some sort of mica or iron oxide – for the color. Carnuba wax is the vegan sub for the beeswax in this one. So,I would go for this one if you want to be vegan.

MASCARA .25oz. Deionized Water, Carnuba Wax, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Cellulose Gum, Grapeseed Extract.

I would pick the Miessence for non-vegan and the Gabriel for vegan. I would not pick the Dr. Hauschka (sorry Hauscka fans!). Just because it is sold at WF doesn’t mean it is that great! :(

Thanks everyone so much for the info that is alot to check out I think I will order the Gabriel first and give that a try

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I’ve had great luck with Gabriel and I used to be a makeup artist so I’ve used every mascara in the department store! Just don’t cry or swim and you’ll be set. I’ve got the light lashes too and I can’t let go. Also – I use coconut oil to remove it, but I’ve never tried olive oil.

• that cosmetics database link scared the hell out of me! so many things you think are a good decision that really aren’t!

• I think Hauschka ingreds are not that bad, most of the ingredients are latin names of plants, some aroma oils and colorants with the Cl… Ultramarines and such are not necesserily better. If Miessence were widely available I would definitely choose that. I have tried that and all their products are wonderful, nothing bad in them at all, every ingredient nourishes the skin!

• Currently I am using Josie Maran mascara which performs really well, but while it is natural and does not have nearly as many chemicals as most, it could still do a lot better ingredients wise.

My next purchase will be Nvey Eco’s mascara. I LOVE their line, completely USDA certified organic, most legit makeup line I have come across in the organic sector. I have not yet tried their mascara though so i’ll let you know how I like it when I get it. This is the ingredients for Nvey Eco’s mascara: Purified Water, Alcohol Denat (Denatured Oraginc Ethanol), Stearic Acid, Cera Alba (Natural Beeswax), Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut Derived Emulsifier), Kaolin, Sorbitan Olivate, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle), Equisetum Arvense Extract (Horsetail Extract), Tussilage Fafara Extract (Coltsfoot Extract), Phenoxyenthanol, Origanum Vulgare Extract, Thymus Vulgaris Extract (Thyme), Cinnamomum Zelyanicum Extract (Cinnamon Bark), Rosmarinus Officinalis Extract (Rosemary), Lavandula Angustifolia Extract (Lavender Flower).

• This is a great thread, everyone. Thanks so much for the info and links. My mascara is getting a bit old, and it's so hard to find something without alcohol in it.

One helpful tip I can offer is that I use Apricot Kernel Oil to remove my eye makeup. It's lovely smooth, nourishing, and feels so good. When I'm done, I gently spread any leftover oil to anywhere that feels dry. It's also really light feeling, and spreads really easily.

Hth!

I ended up just going without. I do put it on about once a month and have been using the regular waterproof stuff because I tear so easily, Just call me crybaby, lol

I guess if people don't like the way I look they can turn away.

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

I don't wear mascara but have you looked into Zuzu? It's vegan, cruelty-free and waterproof. This site lists the ingredients too. http://www.cosmeticskitchen.com/zuzu-luxe-vegan-mascara.html

• I've found a pretty interesting resource for natural cosmetics -- Etsy, the handcrafters' marketplace. http://www.etsy.com

The Bath and Beauty section has a Makeup area, where lots of different sellers have their makeup blends for sale:

http://www.etsy.com/category/bath_and_beauty/makeup

Personally I haven't bought mascara from anyone there (though I plan to), but the nice thing about the Etsy sellers is that many of them have vegan products, many sellers are committed to making chemical-free and natural products, and most of them give a complete low-down on their ingredients. (I'd be suspicious of any that didn't give full disclosure on their products, of course!)

I buy my makeup remover from one of those sellers, Erzulie. (I just can't bring myself to use pure oil; I find it annoying.) The ingredients are pretty stellar -- a natural oil blend with green tea extract and thickened to a cream with a vegan emulsifying wax. It helps my eyelashes grow longer, too, and keeps the eye area hydrated at night! Check it out here:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24286726

• shirleycshirleyc Raw Newbie

Younique 3D Fiberlash Mascara is 100% all natural.  Even includes collagen to help your lashes stay heathly and grow.  Check out the ingredients in the mascara at www.youniqueproducts.com/shirleycruey oh by the way this is our #1 seller, 16000 sold per day.  Not only is it all natural, gluten free, but it increases the length and volume of your lashes by 300%.  $29 for a 3 month supply!

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I love all of the choices that we are starting to have! :) 

• kendraallenkendraallen Raw Newbie
    Blue_Eyes said:

I am looking for a healthier alternative to Mascara, it is the only make up I use I have stopped everything else and I am trying to get rid of all chemicals.But with my Blonde eyelashes I can’t bring myself to go out without it.Maybe I should stop being so self concious and just do it. any suggestions you have would be GREATLY appreciated. I have switched from baby oil, yuck, to olive oil to remove it.I never realized it was from petroleum, I just really never thought about where it came from before. and now I am just horrified at how much they put oil in everything.

I was amazed by the high (bad) scores on many of the so-called “safe” products they sell at my local health food joint. It IS amazing how they fit so much crap into all those tiny containers! 

• EeEssEeEss Raw Newbie

I make the eyelash extension. Of course, glue is not healthy, but you don't have to use the mascara on the daily basis. So, from this point of view, it is healthier and convenient than mascara.

flybaby said:

I wear Dr Hauschka maskara too, very good quality product, I really like it. The most nautral thing to use to remove make up is coconut oil, plus the smells lovely!

nice sharing!!

try to use theBalm Mad Lash Mascara