Need Milkshake Recipe (raw & cooked ingrd)

germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hi all.

I’ve been making green smoothies for my co-workers once a week for 7 weeks. This is the last week and I said we’d make milkshakes (vegan, of course) with fresh raw fruit.

But, I dont’ know what else I need to make a tasty shake. I am using Turtle Mountain’s new Coconut Milk (sweetened w/ agave) ice cream and also their Soy Delicious vanilla ice cream. Obviously these are not raw… but at least my non-vegan co-workers can try some vegan ice cream with fresh raw fruit and hope they will try it at home…

I am using vanilla ice cream and coconut milk ice cream. So, what vegan milk should I use for which ice cream – almond? oat? coconut? Should I add water? We will probably make strawberry-blackberry for vanilla ice cream.

I’m taking some raw cacao shavings for them to try, too.

I know this is easy… but I just want to get advice since I’ve never made ice cream smoothies (aka milkshakes) before… and this is the 1st and last time to make them for my co-workers.

Thanks… and sorry about the cooked ice cream part, but it’s the best we can do for now…

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Almond milk would work best, with a little coconut milk. A medly of flavors would be great.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

check my profile recipes, for “nylk shake” you can substitute the raw honey for agave to make it vegan. it really does taste creamy like a shake.

• well chilled almond milk and frozen or really chilled banana. (or any seasonal berry)

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I agree with rawkidchef that almond milk will work best. I’ve also been using pumpkin seed milk, which believe it or not tastes pretty neutral and creamy.

You know it’s really really easy to make raw ice cream from the raw nut milk, sweeteners and flavorings.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks for the replies. I had a hunch people would recommend almond milk. I will be using it. Hopefully this will go well. :o)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

We made about 5 milkshakes!

Oh, the ice cream with fresh squeezed orange juice was a nice creamiscle taste. A favorite.

The chocolate coconut milk sweetened with agave and mixed which chocolate almond milk and sweet cherries was a hit. Just a dash a cayanne and I think it would become a favorite.

Of course the coconut milk ice cream sweetened with agave and mixed with pineapple and banana was good too.

Someone did bring a dairy ice cream and real dairy milk (even though I only requested vegan ingredients)... so, I made a dairy milkshake for them. It was the least favorite of all. I got lucky because the fruit I put in there was all frozen and frozen fruit lacks flavor and sweetness (most of the time). So, I pointed it out to everyone that their least favorite was the dairy one. smile

Thanks everyone. The almond milk was perfect.

I’ll have to try pumpkin milk at home sometime. Thanks for the idea, greenie.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

That’s great, germin8! It’s amazing the dairy one tasted least great. I myself actually prefer coconut milk and rice, etc based ice creams over dairy, but still I love making raw coconut ice cream without nuts. :)