Questions about whats raw

Just wondering if anyone could answer a few questions about some items in my pantry… is dijon mustard raw?? (please say yes) is brown rice vinegar raw? is shoyu raw? i heard some sort of debate about this. i heard raw cashew aren’t actually raw because the fruit must be heated to remove the seeds… i dont want to believe it… now people are saying some extra virgin olive oil isn’t raw….why not?

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Sorry. None of those items is raw. I have seen raw recipes for mustards that are similar to Dijon. You could try making your own. Brown rice vinegar is not raw and neither is Shoyu. Nama Shoyu is a better choice, but still is not technically raw. You can find really raw cashews online, but they are expensive! I believe Sunfood Nurtrition is one label that has truly raw cashews. As far as I know, no oils are really raw, even the organic, extra virgin, cold pressed ones. I don’t have an answer as to why not, but I’m sure someone else will.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Have a look at our Dead Food List for other nasties ;)

• thanks a lot for the info; its a little depressing, though… i guess i will be “high raw” until i run out of almonds and stuff…. what about sunflower and pumpkin seeds? let me guess, not raw? why do they call it high raw anyway?

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Your in luck. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are raw. So is hazel nuts and walnuts. How about 99% raw.