Hot Avocados !!

Greetings everyone,

I just noticed that its starting to get cold, you know wearing long johns to bed, warming the freaking 89’Jeep up in the morning before you leave to work, or maybe just the smoke coming from my mouth standing in the kitchen should have all been tale tale signs that its about to start getting really cold in Georgia. I know ,I know hot avocados ” what gives” ....

I post today to see if anyone has ever slightly warmed a avocado soup. Were talking with a double boiler on really low heat. I am wondering does this alter the taste, texture, color of the avocados. In these cold months I have to have something heavy yet warm in the mornings. Any help would be nice before I spend 12 dollars on AVO’s to make this soup.

RECIPE post LATER>

Peace and Blessings to all my vegan ALL-StArs

Comments

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

ardes, i have used avocado on hot pasta as a cream sause for my hubby and ive used it with”hot water to blend into a warm soup for myself in the vitamix, it gets thinner i guess but not noticably wierd or anything…im loving that cream of mushroom soup that was posted lately, very warm yummy and filling! not cold yet in Ca ungodly hot actually!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I think avos might change flavour and colour if cooked. What about heat a base soup, then adding room temp chopped avos, so that they are slightly warm but definitely not cooked? You could heat some water, blend in some chickpea miso, then add some confetti-small chopped veggies to the hot liquid. As long as the veggies aren’t refrigerator cold, they won’t cool the soup down too much. If you are into spicy, add a chopped chile pepper. It will warm your insides. Add your avocado last and enjoy. Mmmm. Sounds nice. I may have to try one myself. I’d use whatever miso I have kicking around. I only suggested chickpea in case you’re against soy-based misos.

• I ate grilled and stuffed, fried avocados many times in my cooked eating days, and they do just fine in hot (or warm) preparations. They don’t change color and they don’t taste funky. My favorite way to have them like this, though, is sliced or chunked and floated on top of warm soup. Something about the contrast in textures is really a delight for the senses.

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

I make warm avocado soup in my blendtec (it can actually get quite hot if your not careful) My recipe uses granny smiths and lime, so it stays a brilliant green and not strange tasting at all. Thick, creamy, and hearty.

Back in the cooked food days – grilled avocado was one of my favorite party tricks. A lot of times people don’t think of it as a warm food – but with its high fat content – it holds up really well to heat.

have fun experimenting!

• Thanx everyone.. I can’t wait to try it this evening.. now with my luck I will get to the co-op and they will all be un-ripe. <—don’t u hate that.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I have heard that you can put them near bananas and they will ripen really fast. I put them in a paper bag and that works too. And yes, it does suck when you want one and all you can find are hard as rocks!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I buy mine rock hard, because it guarantees that they won’t have any bruises. I let them ripen on the counter, near other fruit. It usually only takes a few days. To hasten the ripening process, put them in a paper bag with a ripe banana or a slice of apple. Close the bag. This should speed things up.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I like heating the bowls in hot water too. And warming soup in the blender.

• hmmm never thought of slightly warming the bowl.. cool digg zoe.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

yeah dude… If you combine the bowl warmin and the ban marie thing, you’ll be in winter soup heaven.