Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Candida Question...

Hey everyone :)

Ok...I know there are tonnes of threads on this subject already (because I have read heaps of them and got totally confused...lol) but I just wanted to clarify a couple of things. I know that there are basically 2 schools of thought on this...the cut out sugars vs the cut out fats...but I am going to go with the cut out sugars for a while and see how I get on. From what I can tell I don't have that bad a candida overgrowth compared to some people...so I am hoping that it won't take too long for me to get it in check!

Anyway my main question is:

When going with the "cut out all sugars" approach, exactly what are the things you are supposed to be avoiding? (obviously all sweet fruits and I have heard no grains right?...but what about seeds, legumes and nuts...and oils, ACV, spices and salt ?)

I am not really too fussed about being really restricted for a while, like some people are...but I do want to make sure I get my facts straight first so that I can do it right!

Thanks so much in advance :)

Comments

• Hello, go to www.treeoflife.nu and click on the cafe. Check out the pdf files for rainbow green cuisine. If you stick to a phase 1 or 1.5 you will reduce/heal your candida.

Raw Christmas

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Anabrese could you be a little more specific about where to click on the treeoflife site. I must be having a senior moment. I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks,

Brenda (soon to be 63)

• Thank you so much for that Anabrese!...just what I was looking for :)

It's ok Brenda...it took my a couple of moments to figure it out, and I am only 22!...just go to http://treeoflife.nu/cafe which is the page that Anabrese meant, and scroll right down to the bottom...you will see them there :)

• Hi Angel,

I've been doing the Candida diet for months now along with the psyllium, bentonite and oil drink from Wholeapproach.com. It hasn't worked very well for me. But anyway they say no sugars of any kind, no grains, no potatoes or starches that convert right to sugars, no ACV or fermented foods.

There's a lot of info on that website. But they strongly push the products which run about 100 bucks a month. I did 3 months already before I heard about Dr Doug's theory of fat surrounding the sugar molecules.

So if you just happen to cheat and eat sugar of any kind, make sure you don't eat a sugar/fat combo.

Anyway now I'm doing the 811 diet with the cutting down on fats approach and I'm doing really well with it. The candida is not gone yet but I'll keep you posted.

• Angel,

About 4 years ago I self-diagnosed candida overgrowth. I went on a strict diet for about 6 months, and then strayed. I feel better as long as I keep some restrictions on my diet. I haven't been able to "cure" it, but I think I've ended up with a healthier diet in any case! Here's the two versions of my diet:

The strict diet that I found allowed quinoa (a fantastic, healthy delicous grain!) and potatoes. No fruit, no vinegar, no fermented foods, no alcohol, and of course no sugar and no other grains.

Now I avoid processed grains and opt for whole grains, mostly rice and quinoa. Corn tortillas and spelt agree with me too, so you could give it a try eventually. I allow myself sugar and alcohol on occasion. I eat fruit and fermented things as much as I like. When I stray too far, I feel the difference for sure, so I think this is a good diet for me at least.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

• Thank you freepam and samc...it is really helpful to read about others experiences!

It is a bit of tough one alright...but I guess I will just get started the best I can and hopefully listen to my body and adjust accordingly. I am already 100% raw (apart from small amounts of spices and occasional normal cashew nuts)...so I am feeling increasingly better all the time anyway, it is only the candida issue that does not seem to be clearing up.

• I've been struggling with this issue too. In September I tried eating according to the 811 approach... and it didn't help me at all. I've been eating so much fruit, limited fats to no avail. So now I'm going to go the other way, and cut out my fruits too... :( I'm a sweet tooth, so this will be hard.

Basically, it seems we are supposed to only eat greens, veggies, and salad fruits, seeds and nuts (although since my daughter is allergic to nuts I can't eat them). It seems like every recipe I find contains at least one main ingredient that is not ok to eat when dealing with candida.

perhaps we should help each other out and share some recipes that we actually CAN eat! For me, I've been loving using ground up dried coconut as flour in bread recipes. I need a new salad dressing, as I've been mainly using lemons... does anyone know if lemons are also a no no?

• erinerin Raw Superstar

According to Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine lemons and limes are ok on a get-rid-of-candida-diet.

• thank you Erin, for letting me know. I haven't actually read the book yet; can't afford it and it isn't at my library. But I found some of the pages online, and found a list of foods that should be avoided.

how about berries? I've heard that berries are ok too. going from 811 to this is going to be really tough on me, I'm used to eating 85% fruit!

• i've been struggling with this for a little while. what worked best for me is using a lot of coconut oil and eliminating sugar. i read somewhere that the coconut oil suffocates the candida and kills it instantly. i use a few tablespoons everyday internally and topically where it is irritated. eating plenty of fresh raw garlic everyday is great. apple cider vinegar has also helped a lot despite what some people say. some people say not to eat fermented foods but i've found that eating things like raw sauerkraut and apple cider vinegar helped me the most. you need the beneficial bacteria to keep the candida in check and i got plenty from the fermented foods. i'm a lacto vegetarian, i eat a lot of homemade raw yogurt and soured milk made from organic raw milk from grass fed, free roaming cows. these also helped A TON. if you can't do raw dairy you can make or buy yogurt made from coconut milk (buy the unsweetened kind). drink plenty of water. a veggie juice fast also helps a lot.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Green juice is helpful for me. As a principle, I enjoy a WIDE variety of foods- including non-sweet fruits, oils, nuts, vegetables, greens, fermented veggies, green juice. That way only a PART of my diet comes from sweet fruit.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Just want to say thanks for the chart. I have the book but the chart is a real asset.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

How can you know if you have candida without getting tested, and not trusting the spit test?

Can you even get tested for it?

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Is it ok to take probiotics every day?

• Hey everyone

I am 18 years old and I have had Candida for 4 years and it seems impossible to get better. For 3 months now I have cut out all sugar, fermented foods, Mold,Carrots beets, Dairy, cashews pistachoes peanuts and all fruits except for Blueberries, Bananas and green apples. My nutritionist said that eating raw was making it worse so now I eat on the Candida diet with brown rice and whole grains such as buckwheat and oatmeal and lots steamed /raw veggies.

Because of the Candia over growth my hormones are really off balance and I have not had my period in 5 months. Due to this all the toxic build up is trying to come out my skin and that has caused me to break out really bad. This illness has taken over my life and has caused me to be very depressed. I am still looking for a doctor who knows how to heal me but I have found none in New Jersey or New York so far. I am starting a seven day vegetable fast this Friday hoping it will help and clear up some symptoms. If anyone has any advise on the Candia doctors, hormones, acne or anything please let me know It would be highly appreciated.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

It's probably time for you to start looking into the 80/10/10 diet. There is a forum for people on this diet at www.30bananasaday.com

My Candida is no longer an issue, and I used to be tired and cranky all the time because of it.

• Thank you very much! I just became a member, I'm really looking to connect with people who are having this experience as well and get advice cause I have spent so much time and money on doctors and I feel I need to just find my healing path myself.

• Hi! So, I have a sort of odd question. Since going raw, my hand smells like yeast...like a bread product actually! But it is only my left hand. I sort went off-track for a couple of weeks, and the smell went away. when i had a strong detox, my left hand REEKED! I never even heard of candida before coming here. Could this be candida? And if so, why is it only my left-hand that smells yeasty? Anyone else experience this?

• i've seen so much written about candida and i've tried everything so i know what works and what doesn't. Before I went raw I didn't know what a candida overgrowth was. when i switched to raw (gourmet raw that is) I learned first hand what it was. After I looked on this forum for candida advice i realized that many raw fooders on this website struggle with it too. i thought wow, that's weird, these people eat so healthy why are there so many people on this site with candida overgrowth? i know a lot of people that eat SAD but none of them struggle with candida overgrowth...weird.

anyways, after looking though all the forums i decided to try the body ecology diet. it made sense, since i had been brainwashed to think that fruit sugar is bad for your health. i tried it for a month. i sincerely regret it. my candida symptoms were worse, i felt so deprived. since i had cut out all fruit sugars, i had intense cravings for sweets and complex carbs like potatoes. the diet obviously wasn't working and my relationships were starting to suffer because of my irritability from the candida overgrowth. i had once lashed out at my boyfriend because he was trying to help me and wouldn't let me order dessert one night. the candida had really taken over.

i was desperate. i had seen some comments on this forum about the 811 diet and completely ignored it before because i was afraid of fruit sugar (thanks body ecology diet and ph miracle for brainwashing me). since nothing else was working i decided to get some more information on this 811 diet. i dove in and started the diet right away. eating 100% raw, vegan, low-fat, nothing but fruit and greens all day. i was a little scared, but i embraced the diet. i was so in love with fruit and had missed it so much.

i had struggled with candida for 3 months trying everything imaginable. after 2 days on the 811 diet my symptoms went away, for good. i had energy. my sweet cravings went away. my skin cleared. my yeast infection was gone...and now i am the happiest and healthiest i have ever been in my life. i am still doing the diet and loving it.

so now i know, fruit sugar is not the culprit! fat is! everyone that is giving advice about not eating sugar is still struggling with candida! how can you say that giving up fruit helps if you haven't cured it your candida yet? anyone that makes kefir or anything cultured knows that sugar is what feeds the bacteria. you know that if you don't give the kefir cultures some sugar they will die. what do you think you are doing to your good bacteria when you starve it of fruit sugar? your good bacteria starves! quit eating oils, nuts and seeds, and overt fats and start eating sweet juicy fruit! you and your body will love it!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Ah yes, Victoria Boutenko says it's FAT too!

I really do not know too much about candida, so maybe someone could clarify this thought: The other day I was just thinking about nuts & probiotics to make cheese. Aren't probiotics the "good bacteria" that compete with the "bad bacteria" in candida? (Again, I know little about candida) Well, it would seem that the probiotics do very well eating nuts which consists of protein & fat... and no sugar? On the other hand, yeast & sugar are used to make bread... but I understand that to be very different from candida! Thus, this would explain to me why Victoria & kellynfncolo (along with others) say candida is due to fat.

• it may depend, though? kevin gianni from the renegade health show said he cured his candida by having a ton of all-veggie juice for breakfast and two nut based dressings with salad. no fruit or sugars at all. he said they make him flare up more.