do i need to peel ginger root?

Hi Everyone,

I have been putting Ginger Root in my green drink every monring. And I found that if I freeze it, it last a lot longer and is easier to shred. But I stopped peeling it ever since I started freezing it. Does anyone know if the skin is bad for me?

Thanks

Cathy

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

There's nothing wrong with the skin, as long as it's free of dirt and debris. I would suggest cutting away any discoloured parts or withered, mushy or moldy parts, but other than that, go ahead and use the rest, peel and all. We juice chunks of unpeeled ginger. I don't peel it when using for teas either. If the skin is tough and fibrous, I'll peel it to eat, but that's just personal preference. I seek out younger ginger, which is less fibrous.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I'm with sweetpea, I will peel it if I'm using it to eat or in dressings/salads but if it's just being used for tea I will leave it on. Juicing depends on the ginger, but if it's young fresh ginger I find that it's fine to leave it on.

• Thanks! I'll keep eating it the way I was then. I do scrub it prior to freezing it so I think I'm safe on that end. Thanks again.