Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Front yard and Community Gardening

2»

Comments

• Hey Blue_Eyes -

How are you doing?? It is great to see you online! :) Sorry the Tolle thread didn't take off. It was interesting hearing the different thoughts of others on the subject. I have the books but only go to them when I feel drawn to read them. Anyhoo, I thought your last post in reference to barbie dolls was interesting. I saw the concept you were trying to make and thought it was pretty on the mark. Just wanted to share that you were not alone out there. Driving down the highway KI tend to think of you and your husband from time to time. Sometimes I catch myself wondering, if that is you in some of those semi-trucks that pass by. Anyway. know you are thought of. About the AVOCADO --- remember this is our first year to be growing avocadoes. So, make sure you check out some of links I posted. I did not have to mist my paper towel. I did check periodically throughout the six weeks. About the end of the third week or so, I did take the paper towel (with the avocadoes still wrapped inside) and wet it again. Squeezed the excess water out and back in the bag it went. After six weeks, we watched some youtube avocado links and planted our three pits in the same flower pot. (Planted the pits in a triangle shape, they were not planted in the same dirt hole.) We used our potting soil for this.

However, I have since then learned that they like loose, decomposed granite or sandy loam best. They will not survive in locations with poor drainage.

You can read this at the following link...

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

But mine seem to be thriving so I have no plans to be replanting them right away. They look happy so I will leave well enough alone for now. You know what I mean. (don't mess with a good thing) :) Since we planted them they have only been watered once. We have had tons of rain which has left them soaking. But it has also been very humid. Nature's natural hot house. Which is why I think they are thriving. Now that they are soaked I have no intentions of watering them anytime soon. I will let them dry out some. When they become dry, will water. Wait a few days (maybe 2-3 days) water again.

Here is what the above link says...

If it is moist (holds together), do not irrigate; if it crumbles in the hand, it may be watered. I wouldn't wait for the dirt to crumble, just dry, then give it a nice drink without over soaking. Check in 2-3 days, possibly 4, to see if they need water. I find them to be pretty low maintanence. I just keep my eye on them from time to time.

Many Smiles!! :)

• troublejustabubble -

You are too sweet!! Thanks for the kind words and thoughts!! :) Let me know what you find out in reference to the "swiss chard". I do not know what it is actually suppose to taste like but I have a feeling it is suppose to be like the one you ate. Mild and Delicious. Not earthy and bitter. Wish I could have been there to try some. You made it sound so robust and tasty. Full of Green Goodness! I read an article earlier in the season about one of the GA organic farmers.He was selling some broccoli to this woman and she asked him if he was putting sugar in it. He laughed and said no...that is what it is actually suppose to taste like. It gives you an idea of how we have so manipulated our food over time.

The article was was on the GA Organics webpage in the 2009 local food guide.

Here is the article (comment was made on page 8 of the food guide)...

http://www.georgiaorganics.org/foodguide/LFGguide.pdf?PHPSESSID=5513d2808b256dc9c8c37ba2f6a812c8

Here is the main page for GA Organics...

http://www.georgiaorganics.org/

Harmony and Happy Gardening over the Weekend!!! :)

Nourishment for the Soul. Smiles!! :)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I was wondering about wetting the avocado again after it dries as well. Thanks for the info simplyraw!

Okay, I've been eating greens from my garden like crazy! My spinach and lettuce are looking amazing. The arugula is a little small and the collards haven't gotten big but that may be from lack of full sun all day. Everything looks amazing.

My squash, zucchini, cucumbers and melons are making huge progress. WIth the warmth and sun today I wouldn't be surprised if they've grown a foot by the time i get home! I love gardening so much!

Next year I'm going to add radishes to my mix, has anyone done them? Are they easy? Do they produce alot? I'm going to try pickling them.

• We are growing radishes!! In my opinion, they are easy to grow. A great way to introduce gardening to children. You can begin to sow summer varieties in mid-April and continue with three week intervals to September. Grow winter varieties from the end of July to September. Once they are mature make sure you pull them up. They do not keep well in the soil once they are mature. In dry conditions make sure they stay well watered. So, if you still wanted to grow some this year, it is not to late to get started. We sowed our radishes late, so should see our first round of radishes in about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. I will let you know how many we pull from the first bunch. :)

So you're saying I could plant radishes all summer? My lettuce has bolted and I was wondering what to do with that bed. Would it work to plant radishes there?

Sweetness. That sounds awesome. I'm totally going to get some seeds right away and do that. Thanks for your knowledge.

I have another question. Is it alright to plant green beans this time of year? I heard that you can do them all through the summer but wasn't sure if that was true.

• Hey TJAB! Yep!! The lettuce bed sounds like the perfect spot. Start planting and you should be able to enjoy the pleasure of fresh radishes up to September. Just plant a couple of seeds every three weeks to enjoy through the summer months. They adapt to most soils. Easy Growers!

Much Laughter and Many Smiles!! :)

• I have not grown green beans (bush or pole). My mother has, but I do not have the space where I am at.

Here is an awesome site about growing green beans...

http://www.greenbeansnmore.com/how-to-grow-green-beans.html

The following information was from the site...

"In order to have a continuous supply of green beans throughout your growing season stagger the plantings. Plant seeds every three weeks until mid-season, but not past August. In order to help ensure your success if the soil is very dry in July-August plant the seeds at a depth of 1 1/2 inches to help them maintain adequate moisture."

This site also had some great tips on watering the green beans, harvesting, and more.

They also said the following...

"The secret to increase your green bean production is to keep picking them.

The more you pick, the more will grow."

Hope this helps TJAB.

Happy Sprouting and Harvesting!!

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

SimplyRaw,

Thanks for the kind words!!!

Thanks for the info I Will give this a try when I get home in July.

We have fallen off the raw wagon lately. with Relatives dying and other stresses but I have been reading and looking at the new reciepes to get back in the groove. started on a water fast, lets see how long I can go, lol and then back to raw.

I had to get a hold of myself and see the excuses I was making was all my doing and the only one to get me on track again was me. I just had to "slap my self around for some pathetic reason" tired of feeling sad and sickly.

I love reading about everyone gardening out there.

Thanks simplyraw!

I'm so excited! My lemon boy tomatoes are LOADED with green tomatoes and my broccoli is about ready to be harvested! All of my zucchini, squash and cucumbers are blooming up a storm and the zucchini has baby zucchini's on it!

• Hey Blue_Eyes! Don't sweat it!

We all do and have our own pitfalls we run into. I know I have. It is all good and I believe it takes time. A journey. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Remember, you are doing so much better then most of our western society. You are aware. I think if anything that is the first step. Plus, you are not alone. LOL!! :)

TJAB -

We have tons of cucumbers!!!!

They are so beautiful!!! Not ready to pick yet, but I am so excited!! Really get such a tingling sensation of accomplishment and reward that we (our family) grew these. So Exciting!!! Providing for ourselves and beginning to cut the middleman out (the grocery store). Another little Happy Dance!! Our avocado trees are about 1 1/2 ft. tall now.

I can't believe it!

Lots of Smiles!!!

I have tons of baby cucumbers now too! It's amazing! I love watching them grow and climb all over the place.

I've harvested some broccoli but couldn't eat it because I'm on a cleanse but my hubby enjoyed it! Of course he has to glob it in ranch dressing to eat it. haha

simplyraw-I'm doing an avocado the way you said and hoping for the best! It's only been about four weeks or so so I'm crossing my fingers!