Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Craving Seafood

Never in my life have I ever craved seafood, but today I just cannot seem to get enough of it. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it. What could I be missing nutritionally that would cause this craving? Or is it something hormonal? I just don't know. Any thoughts?

Comments

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Iodine maybe or sodium?

I guess it depends on what sort of seafood you are craving since perhaps there is a difference in nutritional needs(I do still eat some fish, but rarely and all local sourced or good source). I find there is a difference in wanting a good piece of fish(protein) or the salty sea flavor. If that is the issue, maybe try making some dishes with seaweeds in them(sure has the salty flavor and good source natural iodine). I like the SeaVeg seasonings.

• Seaweed usually covers my cravings for that. I love dulse leaves rubbed with olive oil to snack on.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Or try one of the mock salmon/mock tuna recipes.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I agree your likely craving for iodine which is a hard nutrient to get on a vegan diet let alone raw.

Try some seaweeds, they are the best source and have a wealth of other health benefits.

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

Yeah, when I am craving seafood for me usually something salty does the trick, like a mock tuna spread.

Best,

Laura-Jane the Rawtarian

• danielgdanielg Raw Newbie
    edited October 2022

Diabetes affects millions of Americans every year. If you or someone you love has diabetes, you might wonder whether seafood is safe to eat.

Diabetes is a condition where blood sugar levels become too high because the body does not produce enough insulin (a hormone) or cannot properly use the insulin it produces. Insulin helps move glucose from the bloodstream into cells, where energy is produced.

Seafood contains nutrients that are beneficial to diabetics. Seafood is a great source of protein and nutrients, but some types contain high levels of saturated fat and cholesterol.

Which seafood has the lowest amount of these substances? The American Heart Association recommends limiting the consumption of foods containing saturated fats and cholesterol because they increase blood cholesterol levels. Saturated fats come from animal sources such as meat, dairy, eggs, and butter. Cholesterol comes from red meats, poultry, fish, shellfish, and organ meats.

Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids, which lower bad (LDL) cholesterol and raise good (HDL) cholesterol. Fish also provides other important nutrients, such as vitamin D, calcium, iodine, selenium, zinc, and iron.