What do you do to gain weight or keep your weight up?

After 6 months raw I really feel like I am loosing too much weight. I'm now at the minimum and don't want to loose more kilos. I am also nursing my 8 months old son, so it's important that I take good care of myself.

What do you do to gain weight or keep your weight up?

I know that some people are longing to loose weight, and I understand that the opposite can also be a problem (wanting to loose weight vs. not wanting to loose weight..).

Anyway, I really would like to get some advice. Do you - for example - take hemp protein powder? Do I have to exercise more ( I do yoga every morning)? Etc. etc.

I'm considering to augment the cooked foods when this weight loss goeson.

Comments

• avacados, nuts, nut cheezes, bananas

• add extra helpings of them into your smoothies or salads for more calories

• I do that.

• amberablueamberablue Raw Newbie

Hi Rosa:

Just curious if maybe your weight-loss is nursing-specific? I'm no expert, but Most moms I know have to keep up with lots and lots of calories usually-on a 'standard american' diet or otherwise, just to maintain themselves. do you recall if you had this issue before pregnancy, if you were raw at that time?

I too decided to add some cooked foods into my diet (usually it's been one meal once a week: light sunday brunch! + about twice a month something more indulgent!) because my metabolism was just going way too fast. i was losing too much weight and didn't want to lose anymore... and it was just going to be way too expensive! but i find that i don't really even crave the cooked foods anymore, mainly because i can now make so many raw versions of my old decadant favorites. so i'm kind of re-evaluating it, but this rhythm has been working for a long while.

the other thing i did this year is to add sugars back into my diet. i am raw, not vegan, so i do use honey...but you could add in more agave to your diet if it isn't something you are already using lots. i was using strictly herbal stevia before, and avoiding sugars was great, but i do like the extra calories that honey or agave adds. it could be an alterative option to simply adding fats for extra calories.

hope this helps.

• Carbs also help to put weight on. You could add things like sprouted grain breads and pastas. Sweet potatos. They are not raw, but still good choices. Nursing moms do need alot more calories so eat more and more often. Best wishes

• Fruit! Eat lots of eat! It's really hard to keep up with calories on a raw diet because everything is so low-cal, not to mention fibrous and very filling. I would recommend eating fats in the form of avocadoes, olives, and durian to add some extra caloric intake.

• Thanks for all your support. I'll try those things. I often eat one cooked meal a day (but not very heavy and vegan) to get enough energy from my food. But the days I don't do this I feel so much better. But after those days then my weight drops quickly.

Last year before I was pregnant I was raw for two months and stopped for the same reason.

I eat a lot of fruit, also agave, nuts, avocadoes, flax crackers, seed breads, green juices. Still I'm hungry very often.

Maybe I should eat even more. Just like amberablue says, it's also getting very expensive.

I have to add: I feel better than ever before, so much more energy and clarity (-:

• Chocolate sauce made of equal parts cacao powder and agave, a bit of coconut oil, and vanilla. Eat all of it. OM NOM NOM. Great source of calories, fantastic source of chocolate.

Chocolate is a fantastic source of grins.

• Hi there,

I eat mostly fruitarian so I try to stick to the higher calorie fruits like bananas, dates, mangoes, cherries, durian, and avocados (in limited amounts-I can't tolerate much fat-makes me so sluggish and tired) when I want to gain weight.

Bananas and dates in LARGE quantities are my weight gain staples.

Blessings!

Audrey

• Rosa, are you getting enough protein since you are breastfeeding? I'm assuming the protein needs would be higher? I know usually raw vegans don't have a problem, but maybe in this case you do. Maybe you should use one of the nutrient calculators on the internet to check.

• Chilove, normally I'm not eating so many bananas, but now I eat lots of them. And dates... So my body seems to know what it needs.

And I'm waiting for an order of hemp protein powder. Anyone experience with that?

In the meantime I am not loosing more weight. That was what I was afraid of most. Still, to keep this weight (or gain a little) I think I have to make some effort.